7.0 wishlist?

Harold Yarmouth

Joshua said:
It IS Sun Java.

Sun Java 6 != OpenJDK. Maybe you're thinking of Sun Java 7?
It's open source. You can provide patches to maintainers

And the odds of some non-bugfix change I made being accepted?

Have since heard that Sun will be adopting OpenJDK features wholesale,
by adopting all of OpenJDK for JDK 7.

This still has no effect on current and older Java, of course.
And that's why I kept pointing you towards the Kitchen Sink stuff. The
idea is that you actually implement the feature

That's a problem. You see, I'm not a compiler expert or anything
similar. My areas of coding expertise lie elsewhere (mostly in database
related areas, and then clients, not servers; ask me to implement
something like Oracle and I'll get back to you sometime around half past
never).
Just stop?

But then Arne will badmouth me again and not be corrected. And then
people will believe that Arne said, because nobody voiced a dissenting
opinion. And that outcome is no good.
If you don't want to be the subject of discussion, don't make yourself
the subject of discussion.

I didn't! Posting a list of Java suggestions is *not* implicitly
volunteering to be the subject of the local gossip column.

Other people made me the subject of discussion, by making statements
about me rather than confining their commentary to the topic of Java. I
now have no choice but to deal with the incorrect statements that are
made about me in public.

I never had any choice in the matter, save that I could have chosen not
to post here in the first place. But it's hardly reasonable to tell
people that they must not post here, or else they will become the
subject of discussion against their will. After all, the newsgroup
charter quite clearly says that this is a forum for discussing Java, not
for discussing people -- even Java programmers.
Just silently trim parts and people will stop.

You'd like that, wouldn't you? Your incorrect statements about me going
unopposed, and people then believing them because they don't hear any
objections or alternative sides of the story.
By saying [insult deleted] and stuff

Who's saying insult deleted?
You can end a lot of discussions by failing to respond.

You're putting the cart before the horse.

Simply ending the discussion is not sufficient. It cannot end
incorrectly, that is, with the final result being something that is
factually wrong. And if I stop responding, that is exactly how it will
end. Arne will see to that.

Even if stopping responding leads to Arne not making any more incorrect
statements, it will also lead to the last statement made, and the
apparent final answer to the debate, being something incorrect that he said.

You might as well have said that you can stop getting your king put in
check by tipping your king. That ends the checks, but it also loses you
the game. Hardly viable advice for someone who wants to get out of check
and go on to win or draw, rather than lose.
People formulate and share opinions about other people.

I am not on-topic for this newsgroup, the opinions in question are
actually factually incorrect statements (and thus not opinions at all;
rather, errors), and gossiping publicly about other people is rude,
particularly if the gossip is all negative. Doing it in front of the
subject of the gossip, versus behind his back, might actually be even ruder.
They may be based on wrong information, etc., but you can't stop
the formulation of opinions or the sharing of opinions.

Are you defending Arne's behavior? Have you forgotten that Arne's posts
are off-topic? Or that they can serve no conceivable purpose that is
consistent with this newsgroup's charter?

Arne's behavior is wrong, pure and simple. Nevermind that his facts are
wrong.
The best one can do is to try to present oneself in a manner to
influence others' opinions.

Well, I'm certainly not going to present myself as a quitter, or as the
type to quietly tolerate abuse. I am certainly not going to present
myself as seeming to accept any of Arne's incorrect claims.

Harold Yarmouth

Apparently it will be starting with Java 7.
You forget that Paul don't like to study thing only to claim that
he knows about things.

I don't see the relevance. Who is Paul, and why would what he likes or
doesn't like have any bearing on a discussion between me and Joshua?

Bugfixes. Nothing else would get accepted.
You wrote that it was open source in the >>> quoted text. But either
he does not read what he replies to or he does not know what open source
means.

Wrong, and wrong again. Apparently I know what open source means better
than he does. Why, he seems to think that open source means I can
unilaterally change things for everybody! In the real world, it doesn't
work that way. It's OpenJDK, not WikiJava.
I think Lars explained it very well with the term
"compulsive behavior" !

I'm not familiar with Lars or whatever discussion you're talking about.
Either I forgot it, or I was never involved in it.

Regardless, my response to being checked is not going to be to simply
tip my king and concede the game*. If you are going to insist on playing
some silly and off-topic game with me, for my being taken seriously by
others as stakes, then with those stakes, I am going to insist on
winning, or at least drawing, that game. And I will keep trying to pull
the plug on YOUR side of the game, since you, unlike I, have nothing at
stake in it, and since it's illegitimate for you to force me to play it
anyway.

* And is it not the case that perpetual check is a draw, not a loss?

Harold Yarmouth

Arne said:
I think they go to forums to avoid multi-identity weirdos like you,

You must have me confused with somebody else. I have only posted here
under the name Harold Yarmouth, which is my real name.
because in a forum your would be kicked out very quickly.

I would, would I?

Let's see. If we ignore off-topic replies to off-topic posts, on the
assumption that a moderated forum would have deleted those off-topic
posts before the replies were made, what do we find? That I've been
posting in good faith about Java and you've been posting in bad faith
about me.

You are the one who would get kicked out, for posting off-topic crap and
for posting personal attacks. Oh, not right away; your first few
off-topic posts about me would get deleted and you'd get a slap on the
wrist. But if you kept it up and didn't get the message, then they'd
eventually have no choice but to ban you.

And it sure looks to me like you're the "keeping it up and not getting
the message" type.

I'd be delighted to be proved wrong about that, of course.
If you want to filter me out, then all you need is a killfile.

Unlike Cleanfeed doing so, that would not stop other people from reading
your incorrect statements about me. It would, on the other hand, have
the dangerous consequence of stopping me from being aware of such until
it was too late. As things stand, we have an imperfect situation but one
that isn't that terrible: you are unfortunately not prevented from
getting your incorrect and off-topic claims before an audience, but
neither am I prevented from publicly correcting you before that same
audience.

Any newreaders should have one. Thunderbird have. I can google
a guide if you are not able to yourself.

I am quite able to. I am just not willing to let you continue to make
incorrect statements about me unopposed.
Ah.

Then you don't have a problem.

I most certainly do. My problem isn't that I keep seeing your posts,
though. It is that you keep making those posts at all. Even if I didn't
see your posts, the problem would still exist because those posts are
incorrect, those posts are off-topic, and other people would still see
those posts.
Usenet does not work that way.

And that's a bug, not a feature. Off-topic and inflammatory jabberings
should be as subject to Cleanfeed style filtering as spam. Perhaps more
so; spam doesn't draw many responses, but incorrect claims about other
people that must be publicly corrected are another matter entirely.

Actually, for that matter, if you make enough posts here whose purpose
isn't to discuss Java but rather to promote, through massive repetition,
your off-topic, irrelevant, and as it just so happens incorrect beliefs
about me, then you ARE spamming, just as surely as if it were some
irrelevant commercial product or website you were promoting.

And your Internet provider probably will not be pleased about any such
spamming.

And they WILL find out about any such spamming. I'll make sure of that.
If it did then we would never see a post from you again.

Incorrect. You are the one making the incorrect and off-topic posts.

Harold Yarmouth

Arne said:
It is SUN Java.

Apparently it will be, as of JDK 7.

That, however, was not at issue.
Try read up on what "open source" means.

"Try read up on" Emily fucking Post, you rude little man!

Anyway, I clearly know more about open source than you do. You
apparently think that open source means anyone can submit any kind of
change and it will immediately affect everyone! In practice, only
bugfixes that don't change the feature-set will typically be accepted
without some sort of consensus being built first.

I posted here looking for the possibility of getting ideas out there and
backed by more people than just I, which is the first step towards
building such a consensus.

You, on the other hand, posted here apparently solely with the aim of
being an obstacle and a pestilence.
If you disappear I will not write anything about you. Promise.

Fine. I will publicly correct the various incorrect things that have
been said about me and then disappear. You will not write anything new
about me, incorrect or otherwise.

Those seem like tolerable terms, although I don't like the fact that
apparently you get to effectively dictate who is allowed to post to this
newsgroup.

But given that you apparently do, and given the nasty reception I got
here more generally, I really don't care for this newsgroup anyway, so I
will gladly leave, so long as I can do so without leaving any incorrect
statements about me to go uncorrected.

Mike Schilling

Harold said:
I never said I didn't like it. I said I didn't know it. And I never
said I didn't know the odd loan-word that came from it, either.

That's not what "loan word" means.

Harold Yarmouth

Lars said:
Your obsession with insisting on the last word

I have no such obsession. However, Arne apparently does.

All I insist is that incorrect statements about me not go uncorrected.
If Arne would like to have the last word, all he has to do is say only
things that are either not about me at all or that I agree with, and he
can have it.

Regardless, at BEST accusing me of insisting on having the last word is
a case of the pot calling the kettle black.
and your delusions

I do not have delusions.
anyone disagreeing with you automatically being wrong

You're describing Arne, and to a lesser extent Lew and Joshua, here. As
soon as I disagreed with them I came under attack -- and not merely
accused of being wrong, but of being an idiot and even of various
incomprehensible things that seem to relate to their disputes with some
other person here and that therefore don't seem relevant to their
separate dispute with me.
enjoys the endless fights he always gets himself embroiled in.

Regarding THIS fight, it only seems to be "endless" because Arne, and to
a lesser extent several other people, apparently insist on having the
last word, and furthermore on that last word being an incorrect
statement about me*.

And since the only other fights going on here also seem to involve Arne,
in particular, it looks likely to be this characteristic of Arne's that
is perpetuating those fights too.

* Arne has recently indicated a possibility that he'll stop on the
condition that after I correct any remaining incorrect statements about
me, I quit posting to this newsgroup altogether. Regardless of the
legitimacy of his getting to effectively decide who is welcome to post
here, unaccountably, with the penalty for unwelcome posters posting
being that they get publicly slandered, I also wonder whether he is
being honest and will actually abide by the terms he proposed. It seems
likely that his fights with others would not be so long-lived if he had
it in him to stick to such an agreement. I therefore predict that he'll
renege, though I'd be delighted to be proved wrong in this instance.

Harold Yarmouth

Arne is the person here who best fits this description.

I have no delusions.
I would say 99.99% probability.

Then you would be wrong.

Yet again.

That seems to be becoming a bad habit with you, Arne.

Harold Yarmouth

Arne said:
Guessing that you would be kicked off a mailing list with an
active list owner seems like a 99.9% certainty to me.

And there, again, you'd be wrong, as well as off-topic yet again.

This newsgroup's topic is Java.
This newsgroup's topic is not me.
This newsgroup's topic is not mailing lists.
This newsgroup's topic is not who would get kicked off a mailing list.
This newsgroup's topic is not trivia or gossip.
This newsgroup's topic is Java.

Stick to the newsgroup's topic or leave.

Regardless, it's your penchant for posting off-topic flames that would
get you kicked off a list. My penchant for posting on-topic and in good
faith would not. My only off-topic posts here have been in response to
off-topic flames, particularly yours, so would not have occurred on some
hypothetical mailing list, since that list would have long since kicked
you off for picking fights and not discussing the list's topic!

Long since, because your google record shows you picking fights here and
going on and on incessantly about non-Java-related subject matters long
before I started posting here. The only way you would not have gotten
kicked off the hypothetical mailing list is if in the presence of such
moderation you would not act that way. And then, again, I would not get
kicked off either, because under that hypothesis, you would not post to
the list any of the off-topic crap that forces me to make off-topic

In short:

List scenario 1: you join list, trash-talk and play the tough guy, get
kicked, I join list, discuss Java, everyone lives happily ever after
except you.

List scenario 2: you join list, because it's moderated stay on your best
behavior, don't get kicked, I join list, discuss Java, since you're on
your best behavior nothing else happens, everyone lives happily ever
after this time including you.

While what we actually have:

Newsgroup scenario 1: you join group, because it's unmoderated act like
you can do whatever you damn well please, keep getting into fights,
don't get kicked, I join group, discuss Java, since you think you're
king and since something I said you disagreed with you pick a fight with
me, I fight back, nobody lives happily ever after.

So I have every reason to think moderated would have been nice, and you
have every reason to trash it, rather than vice versa the way you claim.
Please move there.

After I've corrected the remaining incorrect statements about me here.
Which you have agreed not to post more of, on the condition that I leave
this newsgroup.
You have already made a complete fool of yourself

I have not, and I am finding your tendency to lie about me in public to
be extremely annoying. It is fortunate that you have agreed to stop.

Harold Yarmouth

Arne said:
Harold said:
As usual, the only thing "rong" here is your spelling*, "Arne".

Read up on [rest of Arne's usual rudeness snipped]

Read up on manners, you git!
You have not noted that other people in this thread were able
to find it ?

Those that already knew its name, and weren't just searching for "java
collections library" or similarly.

Knowing a specific name for something you're looking for makes all the
difference in the world.

The thing is, their contention was that I should have found these
"Jakarta Commons" on my own, by at some time having decided to do a
Google search for an improved collections library. Of course, prior to
my hypothetically finding the library in question, I would not know its
name, or else would have seen it somewhere but not known or recalled
that it had anything to do with collections. So my search query would be
a generic search on collections, not a specific search for "Jakarta
Commons".

I have demonstrated conclusively that such a generic search does NOT
lead one to the "Jakarta Commons", and indeed does exactly as I had
predicted: leads one primarily to documentation and tutorials relating
to the java.util collections that are bundled with the JDK.

My suspicion that this would be the case was my reason for not having
bothered to perform the search in question. The results of my experiment
strengthen that from "reason" to "justification".

That the "Jakarta Commons" does turn up quickly in a search for "Jakarta
Commons" is as irrelevant as it is unsurprising.
Maybe it is above you web search abilities

My web search abilities are clearly better than yours. I guessed
correctly that the search for a collections library (done by someone not
knowing a particular name of a particular such library to search for)
would be useless, but you apparently did not. My ability to gauge the
usefulness of a search in advance of attempting it is therefore
apparently superior to yours.
but normal Java programmers can find it.

I guess by your definition of "normal Java programmers" all normal Java
programmers know that there is a collections library named "Jakarta
Commons".

Meanwhile, in the real world ...

Joshua Cranmer

Harold said:
Sun Java 6 != OpenJDK. Maybe you're thinking of Sun Java 7?

I never claimed it was Sun Java 6. Most of the code in Sun Java 6 will
be in OpenJDK, since OpenJDK is the continuation of the Sun Java 7
release branch, which was forked off the Sun Java 6 branch some time
ago. Although the compiler changed somewhat.
And the odds of some non-bugfix change I made being accepted?

Depends on the change. Also depends on how willing you are to stick it
through.
That's a problem. You see, I'm not a compiler expert or anything
similar.

I wasn't a protocol expert when I started working on Mozilla. There's
something called "on-the-job training" or "training by experience."

Besides, there are actual step-by-step guides on how to add a simple
feature like "rewrite code that looks like this to this kind of code,"
which describes most of the features you ask for.
But then Arne will badmouth me again and not be corrected. And then
people will believe that Arne said, because nobody voiced a dissenting
opinion. And that outcome is no good.

Except that people synthesize opinions from multiple sources. If someone
calls you a name, and your comments don't support that hypothesis,
person C probably would tend to agree with you more than the other person.

As the saying goes, "It is better to be thought a fool than to open your
mouth and confirm it" (not that I'm implying you're a fool).
You'd like that, wouldn't you? Your incorrect statements about me going
unopposed, and people then believing them because they don't hear any
objections or alternative sides of the story.

Or you go with option C: just don't care what other people think of you.
Chances are, you'll never have to work with anyone passively reading
these newsgroups. And if you do have to do so, surprise them!

And if anyone is formulating an opinion about you based solely on what
other people say about you, shame on them.
By saying [insult deleted] and stuff

Who's saying insult deleted?

Sorry, you said:
[some insulting sophistry deleted]
<
Same gist.
Arne's behavior is wrong, pure and simple. Nevermind that his facts are
wrong.

Then let your behavior show that. Actions speak louder than words.
Well, I'm certainly not going to present myself as a quitter, or as the
type to quietly tolerate abuse. I am certainly not going to present
myself as seeming to accept any of Arne's incorrect claims.

Let me tell you how I would perceive you if I were a perspective employer:
You appear to be very confrontational and argumentative, prone to
escalating discussions. You show a tendency to argue on the abstract and
not the concrete--not altogether bad, but probably not the best if I
were looking to hire a project manager. There is a strong inability to
let arguments die. There is also a tendency towards inability to accept
that you are sometimes wrong.

Some other commentaries (based off of these two threads, so it's biased
somewhat, but I'm trying to remove that):
Arne: Somewhat confrontational, but also someone who would likely post
for a bit of humor. Also seems to be someone who refrains from
embroiling themselves in arguments.

Lew: Someone well-trained in the art of technical writing, although a
bit blunt. Acts somewhat unapologetically towards neophytes.

I would include myself, but there is no way I can do that in an unbiased
manner. Anyone want to provide some various views on this matter?

Joshua Cranmer

Harold said:
Anyway, I clearly know more about open source than you do. You
apparently think that open source means anyone can submit any kind of
change and it will immediately affect everyone! In practice, only
bugfixes that don't change the feature-set will typically be accepted
without some sort of consensus being built first.

Have you ever contributed to an open source project? I most certainly
have contributed to an open source project (three, in fact), and with
none of these projects did things happen as you claim.

Harold Yarmouth

Mike said:
That's not what "loan word" means.

Yes, it is. At least that's what I was taught it means. It means words
not native to one language, but borrowed from another, sometimes
modified. English has a lot of them, particularly from French and yes,
Latin.

If you were taught a different meaning to the term, that's no skin off
my nose, and you are morally in the wrong to publicly attack me because
of that.

Mike Schilling

Harold said:
Yes, it is. At least that's what I was taught it means. It means
words
not native to one language, but borrowed from another, sometimes
modified. English has a lot of them, particularly from French and
yes,
Latin.

If "ad" and "hominem" were loan words, they'd be part of the English
language, used for all sorts of things. "Exit", for instance, is a
loan word taken from Latin, where it means "he goes out", and we, in
our flexible way, now use it as noun and adjective as well as verb.
"Ad hominem", which is never used in any other fashion, remains a
Latin phrase.

Harold Yarmouth

Joshua said:
I never claimed it was Sun Java 6.

You implied it was current Sun Java. Current Sun Java is (at this point
in time) Java 6.

Perhaps you didn't intend to imply that.

[snip some technical stuff]
Depends on the change. Also depends on how willing you are to stick it
through.

"Stick it through"? We're talking write some code, do a diff, paste into
an email, hit "send", aren't we?

Or are we discussing some process for getting non-bugfix changes
approved? In which case again, it seems to make sense to get some
backing or some momentum informally first. Including from at least one
person familiar with the formal process to follow afterwards. I am not
that person.
I wasn't a protocol expert when I started working on Mozilla. There's
something called "on-the-job training" or "training by experience."

Improving Java's compiler is not my job, though, so I doubt my employer
would see it that way.
Besides, there are actual step-by-step guides on how to add a simple
feature like "rewrite code that looks like this to this kind of code,"
which describes most of the features you ask for.

I did not know that. And I still do not know where to find such
step-by-step guides, since you didn't bother to give me much more
information about them than that some apparently exist, and since no
obvious search query comes to mind that would be very likely to find one
and very unlikely to have enough irrelevant results as to make the first
real hit be somewhere around page 170.
Except that people synthesize opinions from multiple sources.

Exactly. If the only source they have to synthesize from is Arne, then a
bad outcome results. Ergo, a source opposing Arne's viewpoint has to be
in the mix as well. And unless someone else shows some willingness to
step up to the plate, that source has to be me.
Or you go with option C: just don't care what other people think of you.

Not an option. What other people think of me will affect how other
people treat me. If Arne convinces a significant number of people in
this newsgroup that I'm various terrible things, including a bad Java
programmer, then word might start percolating through the Java sector of
the IT industry that Harold Yarmouth is a bad choice. That might put my
job, and ability to get another job, in jeopardy.

Obviously, I cannot simply stand by and allow Arne to pose such a
threat. Hence I must oppose Arne. The only means at my disposal seems to
be to spread a diametrically-opposite message in the same places he's
spreading his message, and at the same volume level.
And if anyone is formulating an opinion about you based solely on what
other people say about you, shame on them.

Shame on them, indeed, but that would be small comfort if I found myself
flipping burgers because Arne basically had me blackballed. Arne has to
shut up, or his message has to be opposed as described above, one or the
other.

Actually, I find it disturbing that the Internet's design makes it
possible for a single asshole with an ax to grind to hold someone's
reputation, and possibly their job, hostage, and cause them to end up
having to either kowtow to that person or spend an increasing percentage
of their time defending themselves against false accusations.

Only one's boss should have that power, and even then it should be
limited, rather than wielded arbitrarily.
By saying [insult deleted] and stuff

Who's saying insult deleted?
Sorry

OK.
Arne's behavior is wrong, pure and simple. Nevermind that his facts
are wrong.

Then let your behavior show that. Actions speak louder than words.

What behavior? As it is I am being as civil as seems reasonable under
the circumstances, if not more so. However, that is not enough.

* If I go away, my behavior becomes unobservable here. If Arne continues
to badmouth me, his message becomes the sole input to peoples'
opinion-forming process.
* My competence at Java programming is largely unobservable here, since
I rarely post any actual code. So the only inputs to peoples'
opinion-forming process regarding that, all-important bone of
contention is the things being said, by me and by Arne, about it.
* Publicly contradicting Arne makes it clear that I disagree with
Arne. Silence might be taken as no opinion, or even as assent.
* Publicly contradicting Arne is also the strongest punishment
available to me to wield against Arne to send him the message that
his conduct is rude, unacceptable, and will not be tolerated.
Although I've now decided he's been abusive enough to warrant some
mild name-calling directed at him as well.
Let me tell you how I would perceive you if I were a perspective employer:
You appear to be very confrontational and argumentative

You're joking. What is confrontational about any post of mine EXCEPT
posts that were in response to confrontational posts by other people?

I started two threads by posting perfectly civil, non-confrontational
posts. One was full of suggestions that some people apparently didn't
agree would be a good idea. That post was not, however, confrontational,
though many of the responses to it clearly were. The other post was
reporting some undesirable behavior of java.util.Calendar. That post,
also, might only be considered "confrontational" IF you consider any
questioning of How Java Currently Does Things to be confrontational.
There were responses to it though that were quite directly, and even
viciously, confrontational, even some containing personal attacks.

Arne is the most confrontational person here. I am one of the least,
save for the fact that if someone is confrontational towards me, I won't
just lie down and take it without a peep of protest the way you'd
apparently prefer.

Well, regarding your apparent preferences, too freaking bad. I am under
no obligation to make your railroading of me easy for you!
You show a tendency to argue on the abstract and not the concrete

You mean, if I say "X tends to be true when Y and Z but not W", and
someone caricatures my position as "X is always true when Y", I don't
bother to defend the straw man and instead reassert my original claim?

That seems to be a strength, not a weakness.
There is a strong inability to let arguments die.

There is an inability to allow an argument to die *by coming to an
incorrect conclusion*. That is also a strength, not a weakness. If an
argument over some engineering matter arose, and someone is wrong but
also belligerent about it, should I really just let the wrong person
have the final word on the subject, resulting in a wrong implementation
and God knows what consequences down the road, in the interests of
"getting along with people"? Or should I stick to my guns, patiently
explain why Mr. Belligerent (let's call him Barney, say) is wrong, and
insist that the debate continue until there is general agreement to
implement the darn thing the right way?

Which would you prefer to have working for you, the engineer that will
go along to get along even if it means letting the whole thing blow up,
or the one that is willing to stick to his guns if he *knows* that using
a size-X widget instead of a size-Y will make it fail catastrophically?

You call it "insisting on having the last word". I call it "insisting
that if really, only size Y will do, the side favoring size X instead
does not end up deciding the matter by default."
There is also a tendency towards inability to accept that you are
sometimes wrong.

That is incorrect.

There is a tendency to not "accept" that I was wrong in an instance in
which I WAS NOT WRONG.

That is a different matter entirely.

I have not claimed to be never wrong. I have claimed to have not been
wrong in particular instances. And I have been vindicated in several of
those instances:
* The current behavior of Calendar.set() is undesirable.
* ReferenceQueue has a blocking method to poll the queue.
* Public constructors of abstract classes are no more widely usable
than protected ones.
* A Google search for a Java collections library by someone that does
not already know about the Jakarta Commons doesn't find the Jakarta
Commons.
* Javadoc is pointless on method declarations in anonymous inner
classes.
* Enum constants are sometimes implemented as singleton subclasses.
* Dead code in a method should be a warning, not an error.
* An app might have ways of dealing with low memory after the GC has
done its best.
* Requiring a character that can't be typed on most keyboards be used to
access some language feature would be a bad idea.
* Various problems are solved by using immutable objects.
There have been more. On other issues, the jury is still out, or it's a
matter of opinion where reasonable men may disagree. On yet other
issues, there's not so much a disagreement as a misunderstanding, as
when Arne and I were talking past each other because we apparently have
different conceptions of and names for architecture layers. On the core
issue there, that non-constant logic is better off dependency injected
into a lower layer from a higher one than embedded directly into the
lower one, he seems to agree; he just doesn't seem to agree on which
layers are called what and whether this should be treated as one layer
or two, etc.

So you're apparently objecting to the fact that I actually stand up for
myself when I think I've been unjustly accused, wrongly characterized,
or similarly.

I consider such a trait admirable, rather than worthy of condemnation.
Why, apparently, don't you?
Arne: Somewhat confrontational, but also someone who would likely post
for a bit of humor.

The only humor in his posts is of the unintentional variety, usually
induced by a particularly stupid spelling or grammar error.

And not "somewhat" confrontational, "very" confrontational, and also
very much endowed with another trait you incorrectly imputed to me: a
total unwillingness to let go of something even when he's NOT on the
side of truth and justice, but just grinding an ax or expressing an opinion.
Also seems to be someone who refrains from embroiling themselves in
arguments.

That's a joke, right?

He not only embroils himself in arguments, but jumps in with both feet!

Exibit A can be his first post in this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/msg/70697814b543a4b8

He jumps in to insult The Scuzzbuster, in response to an equally
off-topic post by The Scuzzbuster. The post by The Scuzzbuster doesn't
seem to attack Arne, though it does seem to attack Lew and yourself.
Nonetheless, Arne butts in and blasts it, essentially without provocation.

Emphatically NOT the act of someone "who refrains from embroiling
themselves in arguments".

His next dozen or so posts to this thread are similar. Those are
followed by many in which he argues with "reckoningNNN@google", though
the posts by reckoning seem more provocative of Arne than those by The
Scuzzbuster. (I am given to understand that these two may be the same
person with multiple google groups accounts. I did not bother to read
the large chunk of this thread that started with an irrelevant remark by
Lew and devolved into a flamefest between The Scuzzbuster and half the
newsgroup, until now, when my search for Arne's posts to this thread led
me right into it.)

His first post to this thread NOT aimed at The Scuzzbuster/The
Reckoning/whoever, and also his first actually on the topic of Java, was

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/msg/85eb344a6e106bbc
in which he mangles his English in saying that Roedy's suggestion of
requiring circle-plus symbols and the like to access proposed language
features was a bad idea.

On-topic, and I happen to agree with Arne there. Even so, phrased in a
manner seemingly calculated to get Roedy's back up.

Whether that qualifies as an attempt to pick yet another fight I'll
consider to be undetermined-as-yet. Roedy didn't take the bait, if it was.

Nonetheless, it could have been politer, and it came following a debut
in this thread that involved numerous rude and off-topic posts
consisting largely or solely of unambiguous personal attacks.

Immediately following Arne's reply to Roedy is his first post to this
thread that actually deals directly with anything that I wrote:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/msg/623fbf38edf0646b

But this post is not about Java. It is once again him jumping into a
pre-existing fight. He insults me twice, apparently disliking the fact
that my post had been off-topic, and ignoring the fact that this had
been in response to an equally off-topic post by another person, and one
that had contained factual errors that needed correcting to boot, and
also ignoring the fact that Arne's own post was equally off-topic.

In fact, he has had little to say about Java in this thread and a great
deal to say, none of it good, about various people.

Meanwhile in the Date/Calendar thread, Arne's first post is a question
asked of me. Arguably it's harmless.

His second,
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/msg/86235bd045d1e86a,
starts off on the wrong foot right off the bat with an insulting
insinuation of incompetence on my part.

This was in response to my having said "I have the feeling that
Calendar.getInstance() is not returning a singleton, and that it is also
not zeroing out newly-created instances."

The statement by me was non-confrontational, apparently factually
correct, and in no sense could it be regarded as uncivil or as a
reasonable provocation for Arne's hostile reply. Nonetheless, Arne did
post a hostile reply, and furthermore, his subsequent posts to that
thread largely serve as vehicles for further personal attacks against
me, albeit mixed in with a higher level of Java-related content than in
this thread, and with the odd post that serves some other purpose
instead, such as (again) locking horns with The Reckoning
(http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/msg/60081ddce0ba31ba).

Yet you claim that Arne is someone "who refrains from embroiling
themselves in arguments".

The evidence does not seem to support your contention. Rather the
opposite, as a matter of fact.

He starts fights, attempts to start more, and jumps eagerly into
pre-existing fights to blast one side or the other, and he does so on a
daily basis.

Incidentally what are those star ratings I saw in Google's archive when
researching this to find the above examples and links? (This
newsserver's retention blows; it lacks the starts of both threads
already. Google links are easier to view than raw message-IDs anyway,
though, because you can just click them in any suffiently-modern
newsreader.) If they indicate general sentiment among Google users, it
looks like they don't like Arne very much, and do like me. That also
seems to be inconsistent with your opinions of myself and Arne, though
it is consistent with what the record shows of our actual respective
behavior.

The wisdom of the crowd at work again? If so, then perhaps you should
take heed...
Lew: Someone well-trained in the art of technical writing, although a
bit blunt. Acts somewhat unapologetically towards neophytes.

To the point of starting fights. Also does not let these go once they've
started, but readily perpetuates them. Also given to gratuitously
insulting those he dislikes, for example by always putting my name in
quotation marks whenever he refers to me or even quotes someone else
doing so. That seems intended to imply some sort of dishonesty, and he
does it irrelevantly and pointlessly.

Oh, and then there's his paranoid fantasies, which he's posted two or
three times, accusing me of belonging to some sort of cabal or
conspiracy a time or two.
I would include myself, but there is no way I can do that in an unbiased
manner. Anyone want to provide some various views on this matter?

Like Lew, including the technical knowledgeability, but without the
paranoia or much of a tendency to put irrelevant insults into your posts
or to stray off-topic and then STAY off-topic. Still the tendency to
insult the intelligence or competence of those you disagree with, when
actually disagreeing with them, but without adding unrelated extra bonus
insults the way Lew sometimes does.

Also more willing to concede an argument when evidence turns up that
favors the other side, more willing to agree to disagree and end an
argument without a "winner", and considerably less willing to perpetuate
an argument purely for the purposes of carrying out personal attacks.

In short, considerably better than Lew and *vastly* better than Arne,
behavior-wise, but no Patricia Shanahan.

Consider the above to be a somewhat back-handed compliment, along with
some implied advice for self-improvement.

Harold Yarmouth

Joshua said:
Have you ever contributed to an open source project?

As I already said, I apparently know more about it than you do.

Tell me again what the odds are that I can just check in an arbitrary,
feature-set-changing modification to OpenJDK and it will actually end up
in Java 7 (or 8, or whatever) without some big debate or other process
being needed in which it proves itself first.

Joshua Cranmer

Harold said:
You implied it was current Sun Java. Current Sun Java is (at this point
in time) Java 6.

Perhaps you didn't intend to imply that.

What I intended to state is that the OpenJDK is the same codebase as Sun
Java, not a from-scratch third-party implementation.
"Stick it through"? We're talking write some code, do a diff, paste into
an email, hit "send", aren't we?

What we're talking about is a patch review process, including "I don't
think that architecture design works well... try this one instead."
I did not know that. And I still do not know where to find such
step-by-step guides, since you didn't bother to give me much more
information about them than that some apparently exist, and since no
obvious search query comes to mind that would be very likely to find one
and very unlikely to have enough irrelevant results as to make the first
real hit be somewhere around page 170.

<http://www.ahristov.com/tutorial/java-compiler.html> is the tutorial I saw.

Using the search terms "java compiler openjdk" brings it up as the third
link.
Exactly. If the only source they have to synthesize from is Arne, then a
bad outcome results. Ergo, a source opposing Arne's viewpoint has to be
in the mix as well. And unless someone else shows some willingness to
step up to the plate, that source has to be me.

The words you write that prompt others to comment on them is a source in
and of itself. If your actions are contradicting Arne's words, who do
you think people will believe? The primary source or the secondary source?
Shame on them, indeed, but that would be small comfort if I found myself
flipping burgers because Arne basically had me blackballed. Arne has to
shut up, or his message has to be opposed as described above, one or the
other.

If you're really so concerned about your online actions impacting
employment, just use a pseudonym.
* If I go away, my behavior becomes unobservable here. If Arne continues
to badmouth me, his message becomes the sole input to peoples'
opinion-forming process.

No. Your actions are a powerful input.
* Publicly contradicting Arne makes it clear that I disagree with
Arne. Silence might be taken as no opinion, or even as assent.

Silence would be seen as failing to rise to flamebait. I make no claim
that I succeed in this point, in fact.
* Publicly contradicting Arne is also the strongest punishment
available to me to wield against Arne to send him the message that
his conduct is rude, unacceptable, and will not be tolerated.
Although I've now decided he's been abusive enough to warrant some
mild name-calling directed at him as well.

In my experience, that is exactly the wrong way to go. Redeeming oneself
in the form of piety, humility (such as playing "help the neophyte"),
and doing one's best to ignore flamebait goes far more than trying to
turn the tables.
You're joking. What is confrontational about any post of mine EXCEPT
posts that were in response to confrontational posts by other people?

Did I say your first post was confrontational? The majority of your
posts in these threads are confrontational. You might not have started
it, but the implication is that, in an argument, you would be loathe to
let it die.

Note that I am not trying to claim moral high ground here.
That seems to be a strength, not a weakness.

I didn't say it was a bad characteristic, just that it might not be
desirable circumstances.

As an analogy, the ability to synthesize a perfect decision after
deliberating for a while is a good quality for many managerial jobs, but
I'd prefer someone who can confidently make a quick decision if I were
looking to hire a general.
You call it "insisting on having the last word". I call it "insisting
that if really, only size Y will do, the side favoring size X instead
does not end up deciding the matter by default."

Another thing to point out here is that there are some things not worth
arguing. Whether or not knowledge of the definition of /op. cit./ would
be considered one of those.
That is incorrect.

I would like to point out that you kept insisting that Lew referred to
himself in seriousness as a "god" after having been told that it was in
reference to the author of the linked article. There are other examples.
Also more willing to concede an argument when evidence turns up that
favors the other side, more willing to agree to disagree and end an
argument without a "winner", and considerably less willing to perpetuate
an argument purely for the purposes of carrying out personal attacks.

Hmm... I've always considered myself on the more argumentative side, as
there's nothing I'd love better than to have a good political debate.
Although the Democrat-Republican debates I've always seen at schools
tend to be an exercise in shouting matches instead of actual debates.

Joshua Cranmer

Harold said:
Tell me again what the odds are that I can just check in an arbitrary,
feature-set-changing modification to OpenJDK and it will actually end up
in Java 7 (or 8, or whatever) without some big debate or other process
being needed in which it proves itself first.

Did I ever imply that you could do it without debate? I did not intend
to. The basic process, as with most open source projects, is to create a
bug on the relevant bug tracker and then use that, and email, as the
vehicle for necessary discussion and patch development.

Harold Yarmouth

Mike said:
If "ad" and "hominem" were loan words

We aren't discussing "ad" and "hominem" separately, though. We're
discussing the entire composite "ad hominem".
"Ad hominem", which is never used in any other fashion, remains a
Latin phrase.

Except that when it's embedded in English text, it becomes a (single)
loan word.

Harold Yarmouth

Joshua said:
What I intended to state is that the OpenJDK is the same codebase as Sun
Java, not a from-scratch third-party implementation.

Well, you didn't (not at first).
What we're talking about is a patch review process

Aha! So there is, indeed, a need to build a consensus before some
submitted change is actually accepted.

Exactly as I originally thought.

So why were you, until now, apparently arguing otherwise?
Using the search terms "java compiler openjdk" brings it up as the third
link.

Well, that's apparently sheer good luck then. The /a priori/ probability
of that not turning up lots of other stuff first was not very high.

Often that general kind of query turns up a ton of technical reference
material and other stuff, but anything of a pedagogical nature is buried
way down on page fourteen or so of the results, if it exists and gets
found at all.
The words you write that prompt others to comment on them is a source in
and of itself. If your actions are contradicting Arne's words, who do
you think people will believe? The primary source or the secondary source?

Of course, those actions have to continue for as long as Arne's words do
for this to keep working, so we once again return to the conclusion that
I have to stick around and say stuff until Arne shuts up about me.
If you're really so concerned about your online actions impacting
employment, just use a pseudonym.

It's a little late for that now, isn't it? Besides, shouldn't you rather
lament the present state of cljp if it's a rough enough neighborhood for
respectable people not to dare show their face in it, but need to avoid
it or else hurry through with their face down or otherwise averted from
view?

That paints cljp rather unflatteringly as being like a particularly bad
part of Harlem or something, somewhere between the
leave-your-car-for-three-seconds-and-you'll-find-the-tires-flat-and-the-stereo-gone
level of "bad neighborhood" and the
nobody-who-isn't-local-dares-to-go-in-except-in-an-armored-Brinks-truck
level.

If cljp is really that bad (and my experience thus far does not indicate
otherwise) then perhaps some effort should go into reforming it? That
would have to include doing something about the local pushers (that &$*!
shoe salesman and others) and the local gang members (Arne, Lew, and
others). Punishing them for unwanted behavior would be a start.
No. Your actions are a powerful input.

Only while I am visibly acting. If I go away, the only input that
continues may be Arne's words.

If the forces acting on something are in balance, and then one of them
abruptly stops while the other doesn't, what happens? As a general rule,
it is not the case that that something stays put. Indeed, it tends to
start moving in the direction of the remaining force.
Silence would be seen as failing to rise to flamebait.

Silence would not be seen at all, by the very nature of this medium.
In my experience, that is exactly the wrong way to go.

In MY experience, letting bullies get away with their bad behavior is
exactly the wrong way to go. If they ever discover that you are a
pushover they walk all over you. If you resist, they often eventually
decide that you're not worth the time and effort to harass and move on.
Well, except when they decide to try to make an example out of you. Then
it is helpful if a lot of people resist all at once.
Redeeming oneself in the form of piety, humility

This is a computer programming newsgroup, not church. And your advice
seems more appropriate to a penitent, yet I've done nothing wrong. If
anyone is sorely in need of playing the role of penitent for a while, it
is Arne.
(such as playing "help the neophyte")

Now here is something interesting. For some reason, in these fights Lew
has kept bringing up (irrelevantly) references to two other people that
have been involved in fights with Lew and Arne, one named Paul and the
other Twisted. Out of curiosity I tried to find them both in the
newsgroup's history. I was only able to find Twisted, but what I found
when I did was quite interesting. Twisted, it seems, started out by
asking the odd question, and then was doing quite a bit of "help the
neophyte" here. And then Arne and Lew, among others, started being nasty
to him, posting replies to his stuff with various verbal jabs. Mild ones
at first but (unlike me) Twisted got pretty darn mad, swearing at them
and the like.

From this I've discovered two things:
1. Arne has been behaving in the same brutish, browbeating, and hostile
way towards anyone he disagrees with for at least two years and maybe
closer to three.
2. Playing "help the neophyte" does not confer any kind of immunity to
being attacked by the likes of Arne. If anything, it increases the risk,
since the more you post the more likely something you post will set him off.
3. Once he does go off on you, he doesn't stop easily. Indeed, he may
continue to attack you on sight for a year or more, and will be
increasingly blunt and hostile over time. Posts that have nothing to do
with him will still draw his ire (and his fire) quite often simply by
virtue of having your name in the author field.

This does not bode well for the current situation.
and doing one's best to ignore flamebait goes far more than trying to
turn the tables.

Whose side are you on? Oh, yeah, of course. You've attacked me yourself
enough times to make the answer pretty obvious: not mine.

So of course you would suggest something that, if I took it seriously,
would leave Arne free and clear to say whatever he wanted to about me
with impunity and without resistance.
Did I say your first post was confrontational? The majority of your
posts in these threads are confrontational.

But that does not make ME confrontational. Only if I tended to change
non-confrontational situations into confrontational ones would that be
true. That once a situation turns confrontational it tends to remain so
cannot reasonably be considered a personality trait of mine; it is
simply a fact of life!
You might not have started it, but the implication is that, in an
argument, you would be loathe to let it die.

Correction: I'm loathe to let a debate about my own personal merits be
decided in my disfavor. Which is what happens instantly, by default, if
I withdraw my lone dissenting voice from that debate.
I didn't say it was a bad characteristic, just that it might not be
desirable

That does not make much sense.
Another thing to point out here is that there are some things not worth
arguing.

If we were arguing some obscure point of programming theory, rather than
matters that might affect my future, you might have a point here.
Whether or not knowledge of the definition of /op. cit./ would
be considered one of those.

The problem is that the claim was put forth that my lack of such
knowledge was a sign that I was an idiot, or something similarly bad.
Obviously I must oppose such a notion, because I have a personal stake
in the outcome of such a debate.
I would like to point out that you kept insisting that Lew referred to
himself in seriousness as a "god" after having been told that it was in
reference to the author of the linked article.

Just because someone says something, doesn't make it true.

The fallacy in your argument above is in supposing that if I've been
told something, that something is necessarily true.

In this instance, I have my doubts.

Harold Yarmouth

Joshua said:
Did I ever imply that you could do it without debate?

When I said that you could not, you started arguing with me. By that
action, you implied that you could.