7.0 wishlist?

Arne Vajhøj

Harold said:
No. The first insultage came from somebody other than me.

It was you that started in the quoted material.
No, you did.

Sure you did. Joshua said that you should stop posting because
you are off-topic, you agreed with "yeah" but still continued
to post.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Harold said:
No, I do not, and I'll thank you not to publicly speculate about me in a
vacuum. Not only is it not topical here, but you are guaranteed to be
wrong 99% of the time guessing without any information on which to base
such a guess.

Guessing that you would be kicked off a mailing list with an
active list owner seems like a 99.9% certainty to me.
Perhaps I should move there after all, then. Neither of us is anonymous
but you're a troll, so I'd be rid of you.

Please move there.
Of course, I have to disentangle myself here first, and without letting
any of your incorrect statements about me be the last word on the subject.

You have already made a complete fool of yourself, so whether you post
any more replies or not does not change a thing.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Harold said:
No thanks to two influences:
a) spammers and
b) rude gits like you and Arne. Especially Arne. People like Arne drive
people away and into the arms of moderated groups and other kinds of
fora as reliably as do spammers.

I think they go to forums to avoid multi-identity weirdos like you,
because in a forum your would be kicked out very quickly.
So the major problem with Usenet, these days, if you don't have a shoddy
provider, is that Cleanfeed doesn't yet filter out arseholes like Arne.

If you want to filter me out, then all you need is a killfile. Any
newreaders should have one. Thunderbird have. I can google a
guide if you are not able to yourself.
Of course, I could kill-filter Arne easily. It's just that if I did so,
but nobody else did, he'd undoubtedly continue poisoning the well, and
without my even being able to see what he was up to anymore.

Ah.

Then you don't have a problem. You read my posts completely voluntarily.

:)
People like that getting filtered at the server level by most servers
would be another matter; you wouldn't see what he was saying about you
anymore, but could rest assured that most of the other people who he
might be trying to influence also wouldn't.

Usenet does not work that way.

If it did then we would never see a post from you again.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Harold said:
Sun Java, not a third-party implementation.

It is SUN Java.
First of all, I very much doubt I can just unilaterally make any changes
to OpenJDK (aside from a private, nobody-else-even-knows-it-exists copy)
beyond pure bugfixes, if even those.

Try read up on what "open source" means.
If I'm exasperated about your public insinuations, "why not stop" you
how, exactly? (Although what I'd especially like to know is how to stop
Arne!)

If you disappear I will not write anything about you. Promise.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

RedGrittyBrick said:
I had no trouble typing the ⊕ symbol on my normal PC keyboard. It's as
easy as π or ✈. Whether *your* currently selected font is capable of
rendering it is a different matter.

I would not rely on that being possible on all platforms & editors
used to write or read Java code.

Arne

bbound

Any IDE could deal with that. The IDE could display the operator iv a
special font, colour, size, or with one of the Unicode symbols.

You might not even need to key it differently. The IDE might be smart
enough to discriminate.

This is equivalent to "IDEs should have special syntax highlighting
for user-defined operators" for IDE users, while gratuitously
penalizing those that don't use IDEs.

May as well just suggest special syntax highlighting. There's no
reason why syntax highlighting has to be limited to color, even -- it
could involve fonts and special symbols, e.g. Arial bold* on the names
of static finals versus Courier on keywords, or use of a circled plus
for a user-defined plus operation.

* Modified to be monospaced, of course. :)

But no suggestion that will cause non-IDE users to reach for alt
+numpad or the CharMap applet every five LOC is ever going to pass
muster.

(Some people at work use NetBeans. It seems to use italics on static
method and field names. It uses italics on something. It definitely
distinguishes between primitive and non-primitive types, since it
highlights primitive type names the same as other keywords; Eclipse,
which I use, does likewise. Primitive and non-primitive operators
being similarly distinguished only seems natural if ever such a
feature gets introduced into Java.)

bbound

A language that can only be coded in an IDE, because it can not
be typed in using a standard text editor sounds as a very bad
idea to me.

This must be an instance of the proverbial stopped clock being right
twice a day. I agree with Arne here, more or less, though on Windows
at least it could still technically be typed in, just not without a
lot of awkwardness and hoop-jumping.

bbound

(e-mail address removed) wrote:

Another [wrong guess deleted]/[implied insult
deleted]/[implied insult deleted] account.

Guess again.

None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me are at
all true.

bbound

[snip]

NO FEEDBACK LOOPS!
NO. DO NOT POST WHILE I AM STILL CATCHING UP. WAIT 24 HOURS FIRST.

Dear [insult deleted] - [insult deleted]

No, you're the twerp and the stupid one.

None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me are at
all true.
Not only that, but a quick google search of the newsgroup for each of
your names turns up, in most cases, several longish threads at various
times in the past several months. Examining these threads shows that
you have gotten embroiled in similar, if less bitter, disputes with
several other people in the newsgroup, most of whom appear to have
been trying to participate in discussions of Java programming in good
faith, only to get increasingly irritated by your incessant nitpicking
and minor public putdowns -- same way it started with me.

You mean we pointed out [insult deleted]

No, you're the stupid one.

None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me are at
all true.

bbound

Andreas Leitgeb schreef:

Indeed you, Andreas seem to have some problems with your newsreader.  I
thought slrn

*cough* *sputter* Well no *wonder*, if he's using some text mode
monstrosity from the Stone Age!

bbound

PS: that all said, it would still be goofy for a language
  to *require* non-ascii chars for certain features.

Eh, "goofy" doesn't begin to adequately describe it.

In fact, adequately describing it is impossible on airwave or prime-
time cable TV in any country with telecommunications regulations with
teeth.

Adequately describing it is a job for which George Carlin is world
premiere in having the relevant expertise.

Adequately describing it in mixed company will make the ladies faint
and possibly result in one or two hospitalizations for heart attacks.

Adequately describing it in Victorian England would have required some
very clever turns of phrase and an expert on the composition of novel
euphemisms.

Adequately describing it would be a cinch for a gang of seasoned and
weathered sailors, though.

Would you like me to begin adequately describing it now? :)

bbound

I'm also using $B|v(B (cool, which other editor has a single unicode char
for its name :)

No other is so severe in its defects as to need to go to such
ridiculous, self-aggrandizing lengths to try to compensate for its
inadequacies, of course. ;)

(Readers may draw the appropriate inferences regarding TeX and LaTeX.)

bbound

(And this one, and many of your others, would be "poisoning the well".

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/poisoning-the-well.html)

Cool! (Starts reading the site.)

(That last one, poisoning the well, particularly describes some of the
behavior of certain people towards me, both here and elsewhere. As
does the Personal Attack variant of ad hominem at the same site.)

What? I never follow links? Oh, piffle ... it depends on whether it
looks interesting, and in some cases on how politely I'm asked.

bbound

Your claim otherwise falls flat on its face when confronted by the
actual physical evidence.

You're wasting your breath. Arne doesn't give a shit about evidence.
He hates you, therefore everything you say is wrong, even when it's
not, and everything you write deserves to be publicly flamed in
response, regardless of its merits or the newsgroup's topic.

I know. I've been there, done that myself.

bbound

Harold said:
Perhaps I should move there after all, then. Neither of us is anonymous
but you're a troll, so I'd be rid of you.
Of course, I have to disentangle myself here first, and without letting
any of your incorrect statements about me be the last word on the subject.

[insults Harold]

Couldn't care less.
you are in fact the same person as Twisted.
Liar.

you would do well to avoid emulating him. [insults deleted]

No. None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me
are at all true.
the endless fights he always gets himself embroiled in.

You are the one who has embroiled himself in a seemingly-endless
fight. If you don't like it, why don't you stop?

Instead, you seem bent on actively spreading the flames.

If anyone needs his head examined around here due to an insistence
upon having the last word and a tendency to pick and perpetuate
fights, it is you. (If you disagree, prove it by shutting up! I dare
you.)