    This is driving me nuts - please help!

    TIA,

    Keiron

    Keiron Waites, Feb 26, 2004

  2. Keiron Waites

    rf Guest

    http://www.leadbullet.biz/contact.php

    > If you mouse over the fields, you will see that text is shown on the

    right.
    > The text makes the other fields move when it is shown - even though the
    > width of the text is less than the width of the field. WHY?
    >
    > This is driving me nuts - please help!

    Oh my... it would drive me nuts too if I had to fill in a form with such
    instructions.

    I already have filled in many forms that ask for my name and email address.
    You do not need to tell me that a name or an email address field is for.

    If you really want to, then use the title attribute for those descriptions.
    Don't fiddle with voluminous quantities of classical javascript overkill.

    To answer your actual question: The content you are stuffing into that right
    hand cell is changing the layout of the entire table. Because you have such
    a complicated table with colspans end so on that you are simply confusing
    the browser. There are known instances where colspan causes cell widths to
    be ignored and/or changed in random ways.

    Rethink the design.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Feb 26, 2004

  3. Keiron Waites

    Els Guest

    Keiron Waites wrote:

    > Please see the problem in action here: http://www.leadbullet.biz/contact.php
    >
    > If you mouse over the fields, you will see that text is shown on the right.

    Not in NS7.1

    --
    Els

    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Feb 26, 2004
  4. Keiron Waites

    Gary Guest

    That form bugs the hell out of me. It is like calling your clients stupid.

    Let people work it 0out for themself that "First Name" means "Enter our
    first name".

    Let me know when you get an enquiry from someone with more than 50
    characters in their first name!!!!!

    If you do want to have help for the form, put a little "?" icon next to each
    field, launching a small popup javascript alert giving help.

    Gary.

    Gary, Feb 26, 2004
  5. Keiron Waites

    davidhunter Guest

    Keiron Waites wrote:
    > *Please see the problem in action here
    > http://www.leadbullet.biz/contact.php
    >
    > If you mouse over the fields, you will see that text is shown on th
    > right.
    > The text makes the other fields move when it is shown - even thoug
    > the
    > width of the text is less than the width of the field. WHY?
    >
    > This is driving me nuts - please help!
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Keiron *

    Keiron - I think you have other issues to work out with this for
    before you look at the mouseovers. There's no error checking, n
    successful confirmation, aestetically it's horrendous.

    Anyway - it works fine in Netscape 7.1.

    hth, david

    davidhunter, Feb 26, 2004
  6. Keiron Waites

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    "Keiron Waites" <> wrote in

    > Please see the problem in action here:
    > http://www.leadbullet.biz/contact.php
    >
    > If you mouse over the fields, you will see that text is shown on the
    > right. The text makes the other fields move when it is shown - even
    > though the width of the text is less than the width of the field. WHY?
    >
    > This is driving me nuts - please help!

    It's making me giggle. In Firefox, it works just fine (meaning that it
    behaves like an "unenhanced" form. In Opera the (as other people have
    mentioned, rather patronizing) help text displays one word per line in the
    right-hand box, causing everything below to jump down when the cursor is in
    the order number field. In MSIE 6, the behavior inspires a band name, "The
    Nervous Tables" and suggests the phrase "oh no, my mouse got into the
    coffee beans again."

    Eric Bohlman, Feb 26, 2004
  7. Keiron Waites

    Ivo Guest

    > Please see the problem in action here:

    http://www.leadbullet.biz/contact.php

    > If you mouse over the fields, you will see that text is shown on the

    right.
    > The text makes the other fields move when it is shown - even though the
    > width of the text is less than the width of the field. WHY?

    Because of all the break tags your code:
    rs.',div0);"
    I 'm not sure why they are there.
    HTH
    Ivo

    Ivo, Feb 26, 2004
  8. In article <c1kj3c$kkk$>, Keiron Waites
    <> wrote:

    > Please see the problem in action here: http://www.leadbullet.biz/contact.php
    >
    > If you mouse over the fields, you will see that text is shown on the right.
    > The text makes the other fields move when it is shown - even though the
    > width of the text is less than the width of the field. WHY?
    >
    > This is driving me nuts - please help!
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Keiron

    Following are the results on a mac.

    IE 5.1 - No problem with the width but the last description is too long
    and makes the form stretch down. If <br> are removed it works fine.

    Netscape 7 - Does't show descriptions at all.

    My first experiment would be to use css and put a width and height on
    the <div>, take out the <br> in the descriptions, and try again.

    I don't know if that will work but it is worth a try.

    --
    Dennis M. Marks
    http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/

    Dennis M. Marks, Feb 28, 2004