_REALLY_ simple HTML error driving me crazy

Keiron Waites

Please see the problem in action here: http://www.leadbullet.biz/contact.php

If you mouse over the fields, you will see that text is shown on the right.
The text makes the other fields move when it is shown - even though the
width of the text is less than the width of the field. WHY?

This is driving me nuts - please help!

TIA,

Keiron

rf

Keiron Waites said:
Please see the problem in action here: http://www.leadbullet.biz/contact.php

If you mouse over the fields, you will see that text is shown on the right.
The text makes the other fields move when it is shown - even though the
width of the text is less than the width of the field. WHY?

This is driving me nuts - please help!

Oh my... it would drive me nuts too if I had to fill in a form with such
instructions.

I already have filled in many forms that ask for my name and email address.
You do not need to tell me that a name or an email address field is for.

If you really want to, then use the title attribute for those descriptions.
Don't fiddle with voluminous quantities of classical javascript overkill.

To answer your actual question: The content you are stuffing into that right
hand cell is changing the layout of the entire table. Because you have such
a complicated table with colspans end so on that you are simply confusing
the browser. There are known instances where colspan causes cell widths to
be ignored and/or changed in random ways.

Rethink the design.

Cheers
Richard.

Gary

That form bugs the hell out of me. It is like calling your clients stupid.

Let people work it 0out for themself that "First Name" means "Enter our
first name".

Let me know when you get an enquiry from someone with more than 50
characters in their first name!!!!!

If you do want to have help for the form, put a little "?" icon next to each
field, launching a small popup javascript alert giving help.

Gary.

davidhunter

Keiron said:
*Please see the problem in action here
http://www.leadbullet.biz/contact.php

If you mouse over the fields, you will see that text is shown on th
right.
The text makes the other fields move when it is shown - even thoug
the
width of the text is less than the width of the field. WHY?

This is driving me nuts - please help!

TIA,

Keiron *

Keiron - I think you have other issues to work out with this for
before you look at the mouseovers. There's no error checking, n
successful confirmation, aestetically it's horrendous.

Anyway - it works fine in Netscape 7.1.

hth, david

Exceptional Gift Baskets Online!
http://www.cranberrycorners.c

-
davidhunte

Eric Bohlman

Please see the problem in action here:
http://www.leadbullet.biz/contact.php

If you mouse over the fields, you will see that text is shown on the
right. The text makes the other fields move when it is shown - even
though the width of the text is less than the width of the field. WHY?

This is driving me nuts - please help!

It's making me giggle. In Firefox, it works just fine (meaning that it
behaves like an "unenhanced" form. In Opera the (as other people have
mentioned, rather patronizing) help text displays one word per line in the
right-hand box, causing everything below to jump down when the cursor is in
the order number field. In MSIE 6, the behavior inspires a band name, "The
Nervous Tables" and suggests the phrase "oh no, my mouse got into the
coffee beans again."

Ivo

Keiron Waites said:
Please see the problem in action here: http://www.leadbullet.biz/contact.php

If you mouse over the fields, you will see that text is shown on the right.
The text makes the other fields move when it is shown - even though the
width of the text is less than the width of the field. WHY?

Because of all the break tags your code:
rs.',div0);"
I 'm not sure why they are there.
HTH
Ivo

Dennis M. Marks

Keiron Waites said:
Please see the problem in action here: http://www.leadbullet.biz/contact.php

If you mouse over the fields, you will see that text is shown on the right.
The text makes the other fields move when it is shown - even though the
width of the text is less than the width of the field. WHY?

This is driving me nuts - please help!

TIA,

Keiron
Following are the results on a mac.

IE 5.1 - No problem with the width but the last description is too long
and makes the form stretch down. If <br> are removed it works fine.

Netscape 7 - Does't show descriptions at all.

My first experiment would be to use css and put a width and height on
the <div>, take out the <br> in the descriptions, and try again.

I don't know if that will work but it is worth a try.