a form in HTML

Maxvir

I hope, that here I can find help. I have problem with forms on sites. I
saw, that it is such a tag, like <input type="file">. I have in form both of
questions, where answer is a text, and where answer is file. Is it possible
to send both of them to my mail?? In fact, it is even possible to send a
file, not a path to it?? Of course in plain HTML, not in php, or flash, or
even JavaScript. Oh, and I'm sorry beacause of my english, I am from Poland,
and I have just started to lern english only 2 years ago. I hope, that
You'll have no problem with understand, what i wrote. Thanks

David Dorward

Maxvir said:
I hope, that here I can find help. I have problem with forms on sites. I
saw, that it is such a tag, like <input type="file">. I have in form both
of questions, where answer is a text, and where answer is file. Is it
possible to send both of them to my mail??

Of course. Your server side script just needs to parse the submitted file.
In fact, it is even possible to
send a file, not a path to it??

File inputs do send the file.
Of course in plain HTML

Of course not. Plain HTML can't send mail. (If you think otherwise you need
to read this: http://www.isolani.co.uk/newbie/mailto.html )
, not in php, or

PHP will do the trick, but any server side language should be able to handle
it.
flash, or even JavaScript.

Client side technologies are unsuitable for sending email.

* http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/index.html
* http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/file.html

Maxvir

hmm... so I don't know, how could i send it to mail with simple <form
action="mailto:blabla"> what should I write in enctype to do this without
any use of server side scripts? may I please for simple exhample of form,
which sends an e-mail with file on submit??

Maxvir

Im sorry, but i don't know english on this level to easy read whole the
article, which You gave me. In shourtcut, could You explain me, how it
works?? if I write <form action:"mailto:blabla"> it asks on submit to sand
email, not from site, but form the mail client installed on computer. So it
uses server side scripts?? I don't write any script, and this sends an
e-mail to me via mail program. Thanks

rf

Maxvir said:
Im sorry, but i don't know english on this level to easy read whole the
article, which You gave me. In shourtcut, could You explain me, how it
works?? if I write <form action:"mailto:blabla"> it asks on submit to sand
email, not from site, but form the mail client installed on computer.

That is the main problem. There may not *be* a mail client installed on your
viewers computer.

Your viewer may not *have* an email account, she may be using hotmail.

Mailto is doomed to failure, use a server side solution.
So it
uses server side scripts??

Yes. That is the only way to do this reliably.
I don't write any script,

Then you are about to start :)
and this sends an
e-mail to me via mail program.

No, it does not. mailto is broken. It does not work for a very large
proportion of your viewers.

No problem

Cheers
Richard.

Maxvir

I know, that only vievers with configured client program can sand me email
in this way. But now I can't do any more... I've just started to lern
JavaScript, I have a lot of work to even start to learn how to write server
scripts. For now I want to make possible to send me a form, with a file
attached by <input type="file"> in simple form, about which I have said.

Sid Ismail

: Im sorry, but i don't know english on this level to easy read whole the
: article, which You gave me. In shourtcut, could You explain me, how it
: works?? if I write <form action:"mailto:blabla"> it asks on submit to sand
: email, not from site, but form the mail client installed on computer.

Right.

:So it uses server side scripts??

Nope. From email client.

:I don't write any script

You should. Or ask your website host for one - most of them have.
Or try something from http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Oracle/6357/free.html

:and this sends an e-mail to me via mail program.

Bad practice.
http://www.isolani.co.uk/newbie/mailto.html
http://www.htmlhelp.com/faq/html/forms.html

: Thanks

You're welcome.

Sid

rf

Maxvir said:
I know, that only vievers with configured client program can sand me email
in this way. But now I can't do any more... I've just started to lern
JavaScript, I have a lot of work to even start to learn how to write server
scripts. For now I want to make possible to send me a form, with a file
attached by <input type="file"> in simple form, about which I have said.

Mailto is broken. It does not work reliably.

If you do have a system where mailto actuallys work then there is no way at
all for you to cause a file to be included in the email. It simply can not
be done.

Even the microsoft documentation makes no mention of attaching a file. The
relevant RFC on the matter: http://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2368.txt makes no
mention of attaching a file or even embedding a file in the email.

What you want to do is not possible.

Your only solution is a server side process.

Cheers
Richard.

Maxvir

oki, and this is what I wanted to know, by my method it is impossible to
done it. Thank You. So shall I do some kind of script to do this, right??
Can You tell me, where could I learn how to write php scripts and how to use
them? And what shall I know to even start the work with php scripts?? For
now I know only HTML, a little of JavaScript, I have learned VBasic, C++,
and Turbo Pacal, but in those three in fact i have only started to learn,
and in fact i can do almost nothing in those languages.

Sid Ismail

: Never used this Sid. Had a quick look around their site (*) but could not
: find anything that actually said they support <input type="file">. Do they?

Dunno.

....It's what I started with before I found form handlers at my host. :)

Sid