Digital Signature field form in PDF generated document from HTML

Reaction score
I use HTML2PDF tool to export my HTMLs to PDFs. It's a great tool !

However, I am having difficulties implementing Digital Signature Form Field for PDFs !

Basically, what I want, is to add the posibility for digital signing with one click by the client ! (I don't want to digitally sign the PDF with the server's key ! This PDF is downloaded by my clients and each of them must sign with its own digital signature).

Other PDF documents (probably created with other software) have the possibility of inserting a form field for signatures (like textbox, checkbox, radio button, etc.), that when the user clicks it, it automatically asks for the client's Digital Client Certificate (and the user Inserts its Cryptographic Token into the computer and can digitally sign the respective PDF).

How can I generate (I don't know, on the HTML side or on the PHP or PDF side) the necessary form field that when I export my PDF and download it, after opening it with Adobe Reader, for example, clicking on the respective field, the system having to ask me about my digital signature ?

I can always download the PDF manually and use Adobe Reader to Sign the PDF, but I saw other PDFs with forms built-in to digitally sign a document...

Or any other solution would be great...

Thank you !

Trying to digitally sign a PDF document locally by using a form field which I click and it directly asks me for to sign the document.

I cannot generate this kind of a PDF on the server side using PHP and HTML2PDF.

I might be able to do this from Adobe Acrobat Pro, for example, but the PDF is generated automatically on the Web Server.

Reaction score
If i got you, you need certified singnatures for downloadable pdf's. I guess it's a online tool where your clients can write their invoices or similar.

Well. As far as i know, that's not possible with pure PHP (hence it's illegal too, but i don't mind). But im pretty sure i've heard about a installable binary. Something like "Ubuntu pdf certificator". Not really sure about the name, but pretty sure i've seen it for ubuntu.

Google for it and install it (sudo rights needed or maybe you find a precompiled stable version)

Than you may use something like
Code:
exec('/usr/bin/certificator mypdf.pdf -c mysignaturestring');

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, but I think you misunderstood me :)

My website generates PDF documents which must be downloaded and digitally signed by my clients, locally with their Reader Software.
Steps:
1. User logs in to my website
2. User fills in a webform and submits it.
3. The websites generates a PDF and offers it for download
4. The user downloads the PDF in his/her computer.
5. User opens the PDF with a PDF reader (like Adobe Reader)
6. User MUST HAVE a FIELD in PDF (FORM FIELD) on which, if he/her clicks, the reader software prompts the user to sign the PDF with his/her digital certificate (which can be stored on the computer or on a USB cryptographic token)

What I need is that respective FIELD in the PDF document to be generated by the website when the website constructs the PDF which will be downloaded by the user.

Of course that the user can alway use the Reader Software's built-in tools ("SIgn" option or something like this) but this requires the user to perform a few clicks. I want to offer a form on the pdf with which, if the user clicks it, it automatically gets the Signing window.

Reaction score
interesting...if they "download" the file, then why do they need to add a digital signature? Are they sending it back to you by way of the internet or "upload" with a signature?
Confused...

Reaction score
They sign it locally with their pdf reader and then they upload it back to me, already signed

Reaction score
Now i got you. Okay, no i have no clue. I never worked with HTML2PDF, i always use inkscape and similar stuff to convert HTML to PDF or AI online. I think there is only little chances to get a solution for this because your case is so rarely needed. But i keep that in my mind. Interesting.

Ask a Question