A general question about Text Messaging?

Peter

Hello,

Thanks for reviewing my quesiton. What does a website need in order to send
text messaging to cell phones? Is this something the hosting company will
offer or does the website need servers from Micrsoft? Can you refer me to
where I can get more information on this?

Many Thanks
Peter

Kyle Peterson

you dont need anything special if you just send them by email
nearly every cell phone company has a special email address you can use to
send a text message to someone.
http://www.livejournal.com/tools/textmessage.bml?mode=details

I have a verizon cell phone and I send text messages to myself when people
order software that I sell notifying me of the sale

I use CDOSYS in text format to send the messages and they come up fine.
You should be aware there is a 110 character limit to the body of a text
message and also other limitations on some of the other fields

More info on using cdosys
http://www.powerasp.com/content/new/sending_email_cdosys.asp

If you want to send real text messages however then you do need something
special set up

Peter

Kyle,

Thanks for help information. I thought I understood everything until I read
you last sentence.
If you want to send real text messages however then you do need something
special set up

What do you mean real text message?

Peter

Kyle Peterson

I mean a real text message. "one not sent via email"

think of it like this
just like one one cell phone would send to another

one only requiring only a cell phone number to be sent

there is stuff out that for that
I dont know a lot about it and have never used it, but it exists
Its ties into the cell phone text messaging network somehow I imagine

imagine if you set up some website to send out text mesages..
you wouldnt want to have to figure out what cariier and email domain/format
to use to send the messages
(would you ?)