A message to Andrew T about Ubuntu and Java

Discussion in 'Java' started by CGeek Wannabe, Aug 31, 2008.

  1. As I am unable to see your posts and therefore unable to reply, I am
    hoping this is not a breach of protocol..

    I use the Sun JDK 6 on Ubuntu Hardy Heron. I downloaded it from the Sun
    Site and installed it in /usr/local/java/jdk on my machine.
    Then I made sure that
    a) JAVA_HOME is set to /usr/locla/java/jdk
    b) PATH has ${JAVA_HOME}/bin at the start

    If you have these things set up, you should have no issues developing
    with Ubuntu. Eclipse works like a charm. I have it installed
    and use an alias from the cli to run it.

    Netbeans works well also, although I do tend to use Eclipse as my IDE of
    choice. YMMV

    Cheers

    --
    * CGeek Wannabe = I Want To Be Cranky Geek
    * http://www.crankygeeks.com and http://improve-usenet.org
    CGeek Wannabe, Aug 31, 2008

  2. On 2008-08-31, Lew <> wrote:
    > CGeek Wannabe wrote:
    >> As I am unable to see your posts and therefore unable to reply, I am
    >> hoping this is not a breach of protocol..

    > How come you cannot see Andrew's posts?

    My GG filter is filtering his posts and I have yet to figure
    out how to set up an exception rule. That's one of the
    drawbacks to filtering GG, and I'm still working out how
    to score for exceptions

    CGeek Wannabe, Aug 31, 2008

  3. Re: [OT] newsreader filters (Was: A message to Andrew T about Ubuntu and Java)

    On 2008-08-31, Peter Duniho <> wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    > I assume that "CGeek" is referring to a filter he's using to filter _out_
    > posts from Google Groups (given Google's disinclination to take effective
    > steps to prevent their services from being used for spam, not necessarily
    > a bad idea). "CGeek" is actually running the "slrn" newsreader on Debian.

    Yes, you are correct. I am trying to work out how to filter out google
    groups using slrn's Score while still being able to see posts from
    useful posters like Andrew. I'm close to a solution. I would be happy
    to post my solution to this thread when I find it, if there is any
    interest. Although, a review of what you can see at the Usenet
    Improvement Project site (see my sig) may get you to a solution faster
    than waiting for my feeble mind :)

    ><snip>

    > Pete

    PS - Did I do the snipping right? I am still learning this stuff even
    though I've been posting (incorrectly) for a few years.

    CGeek Wannabe, Sep 1, 2008
  4. On 2008-08-31, Lew <> wrote:
    > CGeek Wannabe wrote:
    >> As I am unable to see your posts and therefore unable to reply, I am
    >> hoping this is not a breach of protocol..

    > How come you cannot see Martha's posts?

    Ahhh...Lew has a stalker... let's see
    K ... F .... A -9999 y

    plonk

    CGeek Wannabe, Sep 1, 2008
  5. Re: [OT] newsreader filters (Was: A message to Andrew T about Ubuntu and Java)

    On 2008-08-31, Peter Duniho <> wrote:
    <snip a bunch of stuff>

    > getting things configured how he likes. But it might not be trivial to
    > figure out. :)
    >
    > Pete

    It wasn't that hard:

    [*]
    Score: =-9999
    ~From: Andrew Thompson

    Notice the ":" This means that both
    conditions have to be true in order for the score to be applied.

    CGeek Wannabe, Sep 1, 2008
  6. On Sep 1, 1:57 am, CGeek Wannabe <3377.invalid>
    wrote:
    > I use the Sun JDK 6 on Ubuntu Hardy Heron.

    > If you have these things set up, you should have no issues developing
    > with Ubuntu.

    Thanks for your input.

    I also enjoy reading your posts that discuss
    tips on filtering. :)

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://pscode.org/
    Andrew Thompson, Sep 1, 2008
  7. Re: [OT] newsreader filters (Was: A message to Andrew T about Ubuntu and Java)

    CGeek Wannabe <-a-geek.com> wrote:
    > [*]
    > Score: =-9999
    > ~From: Andrew Thompson

    > Notice the ":" This means that both
    > conditions have to be true in order for the score to be applied.

    Using slrn myself, I find this interpretation "interesting".
    The colon is just syntax of each rule line. It doesn't imply
    anything about how multiple rules interact.

    All rules following the bracketed newsgroup-pattern until the
    next newsgroup-pattern have to be true for the rule to fire.

    Btw., I do not filter gg-postings, myself, but I offer another
    rule here:

    <rot13>
    [pbzc.ynat.wnin.cebtenzzre]
    Fpber: =-8999
    AAGC-Cbfgvat-Ubfg: .*\.grarg\.bqrffn\.hn
    </rot13>

    By only scoring it -8999 I still get to see it as scored-down in
    the overview, and if I see such a posting in a thread that interests
    me, I look at the headers (t to toggle them) and find the Message-Id
    of the original which I then select, then press Esc-l and then paste
    the msgid, so I get to see the original.

    Maybe there's already a feature to view the original, but I failed to
    find it in the help-screens, and I skimmed them a few times just to
    find the "Esc-l"

    PS: I wouldn't go as far as recommending slrn for everyone, unless
    everyone had a remote-host running it inside a screen-session, to
    which he would attach to from a number of different local machines.
    Andreas Leitgeb, Sep 1, 2008
  8. Re: [OT] newsreader filters (Was: A message to Andrew T about Ubuntu and Java)

    On 2008-09-01, Andreas Leitgeb <> wrote:
    <snip>

    > Using slrn myself, I find this interpretation "interesting".
    > The colon is just syntax of each rule line. It doesn't imply
    > anything about how multiple rules interact.

    Interesting maybe...but according to the site below, quite true

    http://slrn.sourceforge.net/docs/slrn-FAQ-4.html#ss4.12

    <segment quoted from site>
    We're assuming that a followup contains a ``Subject'' line starting with
    ``Re:'' and/or has a ``References'' header line. To assign a score of
    -9999 to such an article use:

    Score:: -9999
    Subject: ^Re:

    Note the use of the double colon following the score keyword. This
    indicates that the score is an OR type expression. This means that the
    above score will pick out articles with subjects that begin with ``Re:''
    OR have a ``References'' line (OR both).

    To score articles that have both a ``Subject'' line starting with
    ``Re:'' and a ``References'' header line, use the single colon form:

    Score: -9999

    Single colon forms are AND expressions.
    </segment>

    It's too bad Blinky wasn't here..he would be able to explain more.

    CGeek Wannabe, Sep 1, 2008
  9. Re: [OT] newsreader filters (Was: A message to Andrew T about Ubuntu and Java)

    CGeek Wannabe <-a-geek.com> wrote:
    > Score:: -9999
    > Subject: ^Re:
    > Note the use of the double colon following the score keyword.

    Oh, I wasn't aware of that feature.

    > To score articles that have both a ``Subject'' line starting with
    > ``Re:'' and a ``References'' header line, use the single colon form:
    > Score: -9999

    I now understand your mention of the colon as pointing out the
    difference to the two-colon case (which I didn't know that it
    even existed).

    All clear now.
    Andreas Leitgeb, Sep 1, 2008