a name was started with invalid character

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Middletree, Jul 20, 2006.

  1. Middletree

    Middletree Guest

    Teaching myself ASP.NET, using Microsoft Press book called ASP.NET 2.0 by
    George Shepherd.

    Ch. 2, it says to type the following code:

    <%@ Page Language="C#" %>

    <h1>Hello World</h1>

    Nothing really showing here yet, except some HTML...

    Here's what I see in the browser:

    The XML page cannot be displayed

    Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and
    then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

    A name was started with an invalid character. Error processing resource
    'http://localhost/ASPNETStepByStep/HelloWorld.aspx'...

    <%@ Page Language="C#" %>
    -^----------------Because of wrapping, you may or may not be able to tell,
    but the arrow is pointing to the percent sign, the 2nd character of the
    entire page.I am quite sure I followed all directions correctly, and have
    spent hours going back over them. Part of those instructions involve setting
    up a virtual directory in IIS. I'm running on WinXP SP2. If anyone has any
    insights on this, please let me know. TIA.

    Middletree, Jul 20, 2006

  2. Middletree

    Middletree Guest

    Sorry. Meant to post this in dotnet group.

    Middletree, Jul 20, 2006

  3. Middletree

    Mike Brind Guest

    Middletree wrote:
    > Teaching myself ASP.NET, using Microsoft Press book called ASP.NET 2.0 by
    > George Shepherd.
    >
    > Ch. 2, it says to type the following code:

    This group covers classic ASP. ASP.NET is a totally different
    technology. Your book probably won't tell you that till Chapter 3 :)

    Try microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet. Bods over there will be
    happy to help you, I'm sure.

    --
    Mike Brind

    Mike Brind, Jul 20, 2006
  4. Middletree wrote:
    > Teaching myself ASP.NET, using Microsoft Press book called ASP.NET

    some
    of the previous questions before posting yours - always a recommended
    practice), but this is a classic asp newsgroup.
    ASP.Net is a different technology from classic ASP.
    While you may be lucky enough to find a dotnet-savvy person here who
    can
    question to a newsgroup where the dotnet-savvy people hang out. I
    suggest

    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 20, 2006