a name was started with invalid character

Middletree

Teaching myself ASP.NET, using Microsoft Press book called ASP.NET 2.0 by
George Shepherd.

Ch. 2, it says to type the following code:

<%@ Page Language="C#" %>

<h1>Hello World</h1>

Nothing really showing here yet, except some HTML...

Here's what I see in the browser:

The XML page cannot be displayed

Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and
then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

A name was started with an invalid character. Error processing resource
'http://localhost/ASPNETStepByStep/HelloWorld.aspx'...

<%@ Page Language="C#" %>
-^----------------Because of wrapping, you may or may not be able to tell,
but the arrow is pointing to the percent sign, the 2nd character of the
entire page.I am quite sure I followed all directions correctly, and have
spent hours going back over them. Part of those instructions involve setting
up a virtual directory in IIS. I'm running on WinXP SP2. If anyone has any
insights on this, please let me know. TIA.

Mike Brind

Middletree said:
Teaching myself ASP.NET, using Microsoft Press book called ASP.NET 2.0 by
George Shepherd.

Ch. 2, it says to type the following code:

This group covers classic ASP. ASP.NET is a totally different
technology. Your book probably won't tell you that till Chapter 3 :)

Try microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet. Bods over there will be
happy to help you, I'm sure.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Middletree said:
Teaching myself ASP.NET, using Microsoft Press book called ASP.NET

some
of the previous questions before posting yours - always a recommended
practice), but this is a classic asp newsgroup.
ASP.Net is a different technology from classic ASP.
While you may be lucky enough to find a dotnet-savvy person here who
can
question to a newsgroup where the dotnet-savvy people hang out. I
suggest