A new Internet-search website written in Python

Discussion in 'Python' started by hrgzsl@gmail.com, Oct 1, 2009.

  1. Guest

    Dear Python-list subscribers,

    The purpose of this email is to inform the Python-list mailing-list
    subscribers of an Internet-search website that is run by software
    written in Python.

    The website has been in development for several months, and although
    it is not in a very polished state as of now, its core functions, such
    as categorizing search engines, are working, and hence it was decided
    that its existence would be publicly announced.

    The website allows its users to search the Internet using existing
    search engines and search functions of existing websites, such as

    - Google, Yahoo!, and Bing, for general-purpose web searches;
    - search functions of Wikipedia and Dictionary.com, for searches
    within specific referential works; and
    - Google Images and the search function of YouTube, for multimedia-searches.

    The examples mentioned above are a small portion of supported
    engines/websites, and currently more than 100 are supported.

    The website is currently accessible via the following address:

    http://www.search-aggregator.com/

    If you require help using the website, or encounter a problem with the
    website, please send an e-mail to the following e-mail address:

    Help e-mails will be welcome, and problem reports will be appreciated.

    , Oct 1, 2009

  2. Paul Rubin Guest

    "" <> writes:
    > The purpose of this email is to inform the Python-list mailing-list
    > subscribers of an Internet-search website that is run by software
    > written in Python.

    Is the software downloadable? If not, why should anyone here care
    what language it is written in?

    Paul Rubin, Oct 1, 2009

    On 10/1/09, Paul Rubin <http://> wrote:
    > "" <> writes:
    >> The purpose of this email is to inform the Python-list mailing-list
    >> subscribers of an Internet-search website that is run by software
    >> written in Python.

    > Is the software downloadable? If not, why should anyone here care
    > what language it is written in?

    Dear Paul,

    I am afraid the software is currently not downloadable. But the fact
    that it is written in Python might be of interest to some people, and
    that was the reason for the sending of the previous e-mail.

    By the way, I have noticed that the address in the "from" field in
    your e-mail is set to "http://". Is this supposed
    to imply that my previous e-mail is considered to be spam?

    Taro Taniguchi

    , Oct 1, 2009
  4. Chris Jones Guest

    On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 05:22:50AM EDT, wrote:
    > On 10/1/09, Paul Rubin <http://> wrote:

    > By the way, I have noticed that the address in the "from" field in
    > your e-mail is set to "http://". Is this supposed
    > to imply that my previous e-mail is considered to be spam?

    It just means that Paul Rubin is not giving out his email address.

    Why he's adding insult to injury by cooking up a syntaxically malformed
    address - notice the colon (":") - is anybody's guess, though.

    cf. "Section 3.3 - Lexical Tokens" of this document:

    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc0822.txt

    CJ

    Chris Jones, Oct 1, 2009
  5. Aahz Guest

    In article <>,
    Paul Rubin <http://> wrote:
    >"" <> writes:
    >>
    >> The purpose of this email is to inform the Python-list mailing-list
    >> subscribers of an Internet-search website that is run by software
    >> written in Python.

    >Is the software downloadable? If not, why should anyone here care
    >what language it is written in?

    Same reason we care what language YouTube is written in.
    --
    Aahz () <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

    "To me vi is Zen. To use vi is to practice zen. Every command is a
    koan. Profound to the user, unintelligible to the uninitiated. You
    discover truth everytime you use it."

    Aahz, Oct 8, 2009
  6. John Nagle Guest

    wrote:
    > The purpose of this email is to inform the Python-list mailing-list
    > subscribers of an Internet-search website that is run by software
    > written in Python.

    All the site seems to do is frame the results from other search engines.

    What does the Python code do?

    John Nagle

    John Nagle, Oct 10, 2009

    On 10/10/09, John Nagle <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> The purpose of this email is to inform the Python-list mailing-list
    >> subscribers of an Internet-search website that is run by software
    >> written in Python.

    > All the site seems to do is frame the results from other search engines.
    >
    > What does the Python code do?
    >
    > John Nagle

    That is correct, the result pages of the search engines are presented
    in frames, and the website doesn't do any searching itself. So it is
    not exactly a search engine.

    The Python code manages other aspects of the website, like URL mapping
    and generation of navigation items.

    Taro Taniguchi

    , Oct 11, 2009