A new view of gcmodule.c

Edward K. Ream

A few days ago I had the highly pleasurable experience of studying Python's
garbage collecting code in gcmodule.c.

Naturally, I studied the code using a Leo outline. I have just uploaded this
outline to:
The outline is in pythonGC.leo.zip in the Example Outlines section.

This outline makes clear just how good the code really is. I shall not soon
forget the dawning realization that this code is absolutely beautiful:
incredibly short, simple and elegant. There are hardly any if statements in
the core of the code! Those who want proof that Python is a brilliant piece
of engineering need look no further than gcmodule.c. To find such a gem at
the heart of Python is truly thrilling. I have studied a lot of programs in
my life; it doesn't get any better than this.

For the superb external documentation, see:
http://www.arctrix.com/nas/python/gc/

Edward

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

Edward said:
This outline makes clear just how good the code really is. I shall not soon
forget the dawning realization that this code is absolutely beautiful:
incredibly short, simple and elegant.

This was my reaction when I first saw it also.

Regards,
Martin