A new view of gcmodule.c

Discussion in 'Python' started by Edward K. Ream, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. A few days ago I had the highly pleasurable experience of studying Python's
    garbage collecting code in gcmodule.c.

    Naturally, I studied the code using a Leo outline. I have just uploaded this
    outline to:
    The outline is in pythonGC.leo.zip in the Example Outlines section.

    This outline makes clear just how good the code really is. I shall not soon
    forget the dawning realization that this code is absolutely beautiful:
    incredibly short, simple and elegant. There are hardly any if statements in
    the core of the code! Those who want proof that Python is a brilliant piece
    of engineering need look no further than gcmodule.c. To find such a gem at
    the heart of Python is truly thrilling. I have studied a lot of programs in
    my life; it doesn't get any better than this.

    For the superb external documentation, see:
    http://www.arctrix.com/nas/python/gc/

    Edward
    Edward K. Ream email:
    Leo: Literate Editor with Outlines

    Edward K. Ream, Jul 10, 2003

  2. Edward K. Ream wrote:
    > This outline makes clear just how good the code really is. I shall not soon
    > forget the dawning realization that this code is absolutely beautiful:
    > incredibly short, simple and elegant.

    This was my reaction when I first saw it also.

    Regards,
    Martin

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Jul 10, 2003