A public domain alternative?

Thinkit

I think there is an open source virtual machine being worked on,
perhaps because of fear of Sun's control (and financial status).
Microsoft made C#, so wouldn't it be great of the independent
community could come up with a truly public domain language? One not
infected with the decimal radix. And with operator overloading back!

Harald Hein

Thinkit said:
I think there is an open source virtual machine being worked on,
perhaps because of fear of Sun's control (and financial status).
Microsoft made C#, so wouldn't it be great of the independent
community could come up with a truly public domain language?

No. There is no shortage of free (in whatever sense of the word)
languages. There was a time when every CS student thought he had to
give the world a new language.

Pick one of those if you miss a feature in Java.

Noel

Thinkit said:
I think there is an open source virtual machine being worked on,
perhaps because of fear of Sun's control (and financial status).
Microsoft made C#, so wouldn't it be great of the independent
community could come up with a truly public domain language? One not
infected with the decimal radix. And with operator overloading back!

There is an open-source JVM called Kaffee, but it's still Java, and I
haven't heard very good things about it.

Jezuch

U¿ytkownik Noel napisa³:
There is an open-source JVM called Kaffee, but it's still Java, and I
haven't heard very good things about it.

Kaffe, SableVM, gij... They say they can run pretty non-trivial Java apps,
but some of my little programs are close to trivial and they can't swallow
them ;) The problem is not the VM (this part is actually very simple) but
the libraries.

Thinkit

Harald Hein said:
No. There is no shortage of free (in whatever sense of the word)
languages. There was a time when every CS student thought he had to
give the world a new language.

Pick one of those if you miss a feature in Java.

Has anybody ever made a language not infected by decimal, in the whole
world, anywhere???

Christophe Vanfleteren

Thinkit said:
Has anybody ever made a language not infected by decimal, in the whole
world, anywhere???

No, because nobody cares about that.

Thinkit

Jezuch said:
U¿ytkownik Noel napisa³:

Kaffe, SableVM, gij... They say they can run pretty non-trivial Java apps,
but some of my little programs are close to trivial and they can't swallow
them ;) The problem is not the VM (this part is actually very simple) but
the libraries.

Are they infected by decimal? Does their source code have decimal literals?

Chris Smith

Thinkit said:
Are they infected by decimal? Does their source code have decimal literals?

Okay, I'll bite... what do you have against decimal?

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Thomas Schodt

(e-mail address removed) (Thinkit) wrote in
I think there is an open source virtual machine being worked on,
perhaps because of fear of Sun's control (and financial status).

Define "open source".
You can download the source for the Sun JVM.
Microsoft made C#, so wouldn't it be great of the independent
community could come up with a truly public domain language?
perl?

One not infected with the decimal radix.

The human brain is infected with decimal radix.
Something to do with the combined number of digits on two hands.
And with operator overloading back!

Without operator overloading you actually need some kind of tool to
accomplish source obfuscation. o_O

Thomas Schodt

(e-mail address removed) (Thinkit) wrote in
Are they infected by decimal?
Does their source code have decimal literals?

Java allows you to use any radix (up to 36) for your literals
(with minimal effort on your part):

static final int LITERAL = Integer.parseInt("1101001011010010",2);

It's just that there are shortcuts for base-10 and base-16
(the most commonly used radix).

Noel

Define "open source".
You can download the source for the Sun JVM.

Where? I work with the Sun JVM and I had to sign a non-disclosure agreement.
The libraries are open-source.

Brian Palmer

Has anybody ever made a language not infected by decimal, in the whole
world, anywhere???

Funge98 uses only hexadecimal literals. Brainf*ck has no literals
whatsoever.

Thinkit

Brian Palmer said:
Funge98 uses only hexadecimal literals. Brainf*ck has no literals
whatsoever.

Hmm, I don't see how Funge98 uses hexadecimal. It seems very infected
by decimal in fact.

Brian Palmer

Hmm, I don't see how Funge98 uses hexadecimal. It seems very infected
by decimal in fact.

How so? Quoting from the Funge-98 spec dealing with integers
(http://dufflebunk.iwarp.com/JSFunge/spec98.html#Integers):
:Instructions 0 "Push Zero" through 9 "Push Niner" push the values zero
:through nine onto the stack, respectively. In Funge-98, a through f
:also push 10 through 15 respectively.

That is, the integer constants are hexadecimal. (Admittedly, this is a
superset of the decimal constants, but so it goes). Other integers are
produced by arithmetic operations on these constants.

Jezuch

U¿ytkownik Thinkit napisa³:
Are they infected by decimal? Does their source code have decimal literals?

Were you born in Mesopotamia about 6000 years ago, by any chance?...

Andrew Walsh

(e-mail address removed) (Thinkit) wrote in message
Are they infected by decimal? Does their source code have decimal literals?

they tried not to. But men in black suits appeared at midnight and
threatened horrible things if they didn't put decimal literals back in.