A question for all those who struggle with automatically databoundcontrols

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Phil H, Dec 4, 2007.

  1. Phil H

    Phil H Guest

    Dear All

    On reading of the problems people are complaining about with such
    controls as GridView, FormView etc I wonder whether they have
    considered that maybe, just maybe, they have simply made the wrong
    choice!

    The above mentioned controls are at their best when they minimise the
    amount of code required for editing, inserting and deleting data.
    Fine! I have no hestation in using them myself when their default
    behaviour fits the bill. But I have to question this when it becomes
    necessary to write reams of code in the event handlers to twist the
    normal behaviour and make them do what is actually required.

    These controls are cleverly designed to save time and effort and all
    credit to their designers, but anyone engaging in development work
    must also understand that they are not the last word on the subject.
    It is quite possible (and not all that complicated) to use ordinary
    stand alone controls (for single record data forms) or DataList and
    Repeater controls (for rendering multiple records). Even these latter
    controls can be emulated with a table control and iteration with
    DataReaders if necessary.

    Just a thought. Comments welcome.

    Phil H, Dec 4, 2007

  2. Re: A question for all those who struggle with automatically databound controls

    I have to agree with you. I once tried to adjust the FormView to look and
    act as I wanted, and it just drove me crazy. I just stuck to the technique
    of having complete control by using individual controls. The same normally
    goes for GridView. Unless you are simply displaying the data from a database
    and don't need any formatting, the GridView is rather hard to style. It may
    be referred to as the powerhorse of ASP.NET 2.0, but I think that until it
    has one more feature, it is just a pain. I would like it to be scrollable
    instead of paging. I once needed a multi-column scrolling list, and I had to
    end up placing a DataList inside a Panel. I still never finished perfecting
    it, although I have ideas on what I could do. However, it would be very nice
    to have something to generate this (To be honest, I think HTML should have a
    multi-column listbox, but they don't). I am thinking about writing a custom
    control that does this when I have time. But back to GridView vs DataList, I
    also prefer DataList because it is easier to specify CommandArguments for
    Buttons (CommandArgument is not a property of ButtonField, you need to use a
    TemplateField with a Button inside it). But before I drive everyone into
    boredom, I will just say Thank You For Finally Letting The Truth Be Known!
    --
    Nathan Sokalski

    http://www.nathansokalski.com/

    Nathan Sokalski, Dec 21, 2007