    and it says 'No Module named _curses'

    Sorry if all this sounds a bit noobish, it's only cause i am.
    , Mar 12, 2008

  2. ha scritto:
    > Seeing the 7DRL start up recently, i wanted to see what one was made
    > of. Python is the language i'm most familiar with so i searched for
    > some code to look at, but i couldn't find any. Can anyone direct me to
    > the right place?
    >
    > I did some searching on what it would take to write a roguelike in
    > python and it looked like the curses module would work perfectly, but
    > it looks to me like it doesn't work in windows? I tried to import it
    > and it says 'No Module named _curses'
    >
    > Sorry if all this sounds a bit noobish, it's only cause i am.

    i made some pythonesque RL experiments myself. what you have
    preinstalled is a wrapper for the actual library (that you need to
    download saperately here http://adamv.com/dev/python/curses/ ).
    iirc, just unzip & paste in your python/curses directory under Lib
    Gustavo DiPietro, Mar 12, 2008

  3. Carl Banks Guest

    On Mar 12, 9:25 am, wrote:
    > Seeing the 7DRL start up recently, i wanted to see what one was made
    > of. Python is the language i'm most familiar with so i searched for
    > some code to look at, but i couldn't find any. Can anyone direct me to
    > the right place?
    >
    > I did some searching on what it would take to write a roguelike in
    > python and it looked like the curses module would work perfectly, but
    > it looks to me like it doesn't work in windows? I tried to import it
    > and it says 'No Module named _curses'
    >
    > Sorry if all this sounds a bit noobish, it's only cause i am.

    Correct, curses is not provided on the Windows platform. I recall
    that there were some third party attempts to implement curses
    functionality on Windows; try Googling for it.

    Even though it's typically used for graphical games, PyGame would be a
    good way to make a cross-platform "text-mode" game. It should be
    pretty straightforward to simulate a text mode terminal using a grid
    of sprites. (There might even be some third-party text terminals out
    there.)

    Carl Banks
    Carl Banks, Mar 12, 2008
  4. On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 9:23 AM, Carl Banks <> wrote:
    > Even though it's typically used for graphical games, PyGame would be a
    > good way to make a cross-platform "text-mode" game. It should be
    > pretty straightforward to simulate a text mode terminal using a grid
    > of sprites. (There might even be some third-party text terminals out
    > there.)

    This is a cool technique, and also gives the game designer a lot of
    freedom in their representation. It can continue to look old school
    while also letting you have icons where they may be appropriate, or
    add an eye on your gridbug 'x' just for fun :) This technique was
    used in phoenix from one of the pyweek competitions:
    http://www.pyweek.org/e/Cursed/

    By the way, that game emulates curses as well. If you go with pygame
    display only, you are losing some compatibility as well, as it won't
    run on textmode only systems. No roguelikes over ssh :(
    Patrick Mullen, Mar 13, 2008

    On Mar 12, 8:25 am, wrote:
    > Seeing the 7DRL start up recently, i wanted to see what one was made
    > of. Python is the language i'm most familiar with so i searched for
    > some code to look at, but i couldn't find any. Can anyone direct me to
    > the right place?
    >
    > I did some searching on what it would take to write a roguelike in
    > python and it looked like the curses module would work perfectly, but
    > it looks to me like it doesn't work in windows? I tried to import it
    > and it says 'No Module named _curses'
    >
    > Sorry if all this sounds a bit noobish, it's only cause i am.

    I made a very small basic roguelike, except that in it you control
    the monsters instead of the hero. It uses curses so no worky in
    windows.
    Here:

    http://silmarill.org/nodes/I,_monster_game.html

    I later modified this game to control the hero and sometimes to ask
    you multiple-choice questions from biology and other fields of
    knowledge,
    and based on your right/wrong answer it either makes a Hit for your HP
    or gives you a small reward. If there's interest i can post that
    updated
    game too. Both are kind of buggy though.. -ak
    , Mar 13, 2008