A screen like utility?

jk

I have an application that receives output from multiple hosts and
would like some sane way to organize the outputs. I was thinking that
some sort of "tabbing" system akin to screen would work, but am not
sure an easy way to implement that. There is Term::Screen and I could
do it by hand, but i don't want to recreate the wheel, if possible.
Any other ideas are also welcome.

Thanks,
Jim

smallpond

I have an application that receives output from multiple hosts and
would like some sane way to organize the outputs. I was thinking that
some sort of "tabbing" system akin to screen would work, but am not
sure an easy way to implement that. There is Term::Screen and I could
do it by hand, but i don't want to recreate the wheel, if possible.
Any other ideas are also welcome.

Thanks,
Jim

If you use Tk, you can have a tabbed Notebook. Each page can have
a Text box in which you would display the output for one host.
It wouldn't give you any terminal emulation, but would be ok for
simple
character output.

jk

If you use Tk, you can have a tabbed Notebook.  Each page can have
a Text box in which you would display the output for one host.
It wouldn't give you any terminal emulation, but would be ok for
simple character output.

Sorry, I forgot to mention, it's command line only.

Jim

Andrew Schulman

I have an application that receives output from multiple hosts and
would like some sane way to organize the outputs. I was thinking that
some sort of "tabbing" system akin to screen would work, but am not
sure an easy way to implement that. There is Term::Screen and I could
do it by hand, but i don't want to recreate the wheel, if possible.
Any other ideas are also welcome.

multitail does this, if you could arrange to pipe the output of your several
processes to it.

jk

multitail does this, if you could arrange to pipe the output of your several
processes to it.
I'll have to look into that, but won't I have to create a fifo for
each process since it takes the files from the command line (I don't
know how to have multiple pipes open to a program like that)? I was
also hoping for a mostly standard option (I know Term::Screen isn't,
but i can pas the pm with my program).

Jim

Ted Zlatanov

j> I have an application that receives output from multiple hosts and
j> would like some sane way to organize the outputs. I was thinking that
j> some sort of "tabbing" system akin to screen would work, but am not
j> sure an easy way to implement that. There is Term::Screen and I could
j> do it by hand, but i don't want to recreate the wheel, if possible.
j> Any other ideas are also welcome.

`screen' can start custom commands based on a screenrc you could build.
Then the user will have all the benefits of running `screen': persistent
buffers, unified interface, start new commands, copy&paste, etc.

You can even start a new process as a window in a running `screen'
process.

Another approach is to colorize the output from each host with ANSI
escape sequences so it's easy to distinguish. You can then pipe into
other processes, if that's useful. CPAN has modules for ANSI escapes.

Ted

jk

`screen' can start custom commands based on a screenrc you could build.
Then the user will have all the benefits of running `screen': persistent
buffers, unified interface, start new commands, copy&paste, etc.

You can even start a new process as a window in a running `screen'
process.

For some reason it never occurred to me write another program to talk
to my server and just request the output from each host.

Thanks Ted!