ABBR and ACRONYM are for user agents not for end users

Discussion in 'HTML' started by kayodeok, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. kayodeok

    kayodeok Guest

    kayodeok, Feb 27, 2004

  2. kayodeok

    Steve Pugh Guest

    kayodeok <> wrote:

    >I found this article during my web travels:
    >
    >ABBR and ACRONYM are for user agents not for end users
    >http://www.smackthemouse.com/20040108
    >
    >Enjoy!

    Um, and what do end users use to access content? Oh yeah, user agents.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Feb 28, 2004

  3. kayodeok

    kayodeok Guest

    Steve Pugh <> wrote in

    > kayodeok <> wrote:
    >
    >>ABBR and ACRONYM are for user agents not for end users
    >>http://www.smackthemouse.com/20040108
    >>

    > Um, and what do end users use to access content? Oh yeah, user
    > agents.

    I posted the article simply as another point of view in the
    discussions on how useful ABBR and ACRONYM are.

    Personally, I use them if required but I have seen discussions both
    here and at CIWAH which has questioned their use.

    --
    Kayode Okeyode
    http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/
    kayodeok, Feb 28, 2004
  4. Toby A Inkster, Feb 28, 2004
  5. kayodeok

    kayodeok Guest

    Toby A Inkster <> wrote in

    > kayodeok wrote:
    >> ABBR and ACRONYM are for user agents not for end users
    >> http://www.smackthemouse.com/20040108

    > More <abbr>-related fun:
    > http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=3#abbr

    I tend to use:

    Styling <abbr> in IE
    http://www.sovavsiti.cz/css/abbr.html

    But you mentioned some limitations on your page which I will have to
    explore (I am too lazy to do this at the moment)

    kayodeok, Feb 28, 2004
  6. kayodeok

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Andy Dingley, Feb 28, 2004
  7. kayodeok

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Feb 29, 2004
  8. kayodeok

    Spartanicus Guest

    Spartanicus, Mar 1, 2004
  9. kayodeok

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 00:56:19 +0000, Spartanicus <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > Why report that here?

    Because it could just as easily be an error on the page. Not that I
    doubt Toby, of course ;-). I actually started posting it before I tried
    it without JS, and was thinking that it may be an error in the scripting
    on the page.

    Also, I though Toby might like to know, so he can warn others if
    necessary.

    > Update your copy of Mozilla, or http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ if you are
    > running the latest version.

    I am using the most recent stable version (1.6). Unfortunately I really
    don't have the time to go bug-chasing. :-( But as I said, I though Toby
    might appreciate knowing.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Mar 1, 2004
  10. Mark Parnell wrote:

    > On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 11:02:40 +0000, Toby A Inkster
    > <> declared in alt.html:
    >
    >> http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=3#abbr

    > That page crashes my Mozilla, with or without Javascript enabled. :-(

    Must be a local problem. Tested here without crashes in:

    * Mozilla 1.6, Linux
    * Mozilla 1.4, Linux
    * Mozilla 1.0.2, Windows
    * Mozilla Firefox 0.8, Windows
    * Mozilla Firebird 0.6.1, Linux

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Mar 1, 2004
  11. Toby A Inkster wrote:
    > Mark Parnell wrote:
    >

    >>On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 11:02:40 +0000, Toby A Inkster
    >><> declared in alt.html:
    >>

    >>>http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=3#abbr

    >>That page crashes my Mozilla, with or without Javascript enabled. :-(

    > Must be a local problem. Tested here without crashes in:
    >
    > * Mozilla 1.6, Linux
    > * Mozilla 1.4, Linux
    > * Mozilla 1.0.2, Windows
    > * Mozilla Firefox 0.8, Windows
    > * Mozilla Firebird 0.6.1, Linux

    Your site crashes my Firefox and crashed my Mozilla to some extent, too.
    The HTML tutorial seemed to do it most.
    Leif K-Brooks, Mar 1, 2004
  12. kayodeok

    Spartanicus Guest

    Mark Parnell <> wrote:

    >> Why report that here?

    >Because it could just as easily be an error on the page.

    A browser crashing can never be the fault of the document being viewed,
    the cause is always the browser, the document at best can only trigger.

    >> Update your copy of Mozilla, or http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ if you are
    >> running the latest version.

    >I am using the most recent stable version (1.6). Unfortunately I really
    >don't have the time to go bug-chasing. :-(

    No need to go bug hunting, a report will suffice.

    >But as I said, I though Toby might appreciate knowing.

    Works fine in Mozilla 1.5.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Mar 1, 2004
  13. kayodeok

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 07:26:13 +0000, Toby A Inkster
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > Must be a local problem.

    Could be. Maybe one of the add-ons I have downloaded is conflicting with
    your page or something. :-?

    > Tested here without crashes in:
    >
    > * Mozilla 1.6, Linux
    > * Mozilla 1.4, Linux
    > * Mozilla 1.0.2, Windows
    > * Mozilla Firefox 0.8, Windows
    > * Mozilla Firebird 0.6.1, Linux

    Very strange. Leif said he has problems, too (though didn't say what
    version etc) so maybe it is something in the latest version of Mozilla
    on Windoze.

    Anyway, just though you might like to know. :)

    Mark Parnell, Mar 1, 2004
  14. kayodeok

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 10:18:02 +0000, Spartanicus <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > A browser crashing can never be the fault of the document being viewed,
    > the cause is always the browser, the document at best can only trigger.

    Looked at that way, yes I guess you're right. :)

    > No need to go bug hunting, a report will suffice.

    Except that surely I should check whether there is already a bug report
    on that problem. And when I don't know what it is that is actually
    causing it...

    Plus both you and Toby aren't having any problems, so it may be
    something in my setup.

    Mark Parnell, Mar 1, 2004