ABBR and ACRONYM are for user agents not for end users

kayodeok

Um, and what do end users use to access content? Oh yeah, user
agents.
I posted the article simply as another point of view in the
discussions on how useful ABBR and ACRONYM are.

Personally, I use them if required but I have seen discussions both
here and at CIWAH which has questioned their use.

Mark Parnell

Why report that here?

Because it could just as easily be an error on the page. Not that I
doubt Toby, of course ;-). I actually started posting it before I tried
it without JS, and was thinking that it may be an error in the scripting
on the page.

Also, I though Toby might like to know, so he can warn others if
necessary.
Update your copy of Mozilla, or http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ if you are
running the latest version.

I am using the most recent stable version (1.6). Unfortunately I really
don't have the time to go bug-chasing. :-( But as I said, I though Toby
might appreciate knowing.

Toby A Inkster

Mark said:
That page crashes my Mozilla, with or without Javascript enabled. :-(

Must be a local problem. Tested here without crashes in:

* Mozilla 1.6, Linux
* Mozilla 1.4, Linux
* Mozilla 1.0.2, Windows
* Mozilla Firefox 0.8, Windows
* Mozilla Firebird 0.6.1, Linux

Leif K-Brooks

Toby said:
Mark Parnell wrote:

Must be a local problem. Tested here without crashes in:

* Mozilla 1.6, Linux
* Mozilla 1.4, Linux
* Mozilla 1.0.2, Windows
* Mozilla Firefox 0.8, Windows
* Mozilla Firebird 0.6.1, Linux

Your site crashes my Firefox and crashed my Mozilla to some extent, too.
The HTML tutorial seemed to do it most.

Spartanicus

Mark Parnell said:
Because it could just as easily be an error on the page.

A browser crashing can never be the fault of the document being viewed,
the cause is always the browser, the document at best can only trigger.
I am using the most recent stable version (1.6). Unfortunately I really
don't have the time to go bug-chasing. :-(

No need to go bug hunting, a report will suffice.
But as I said, I though Toby might appreciate knowing.

Works fine in Mozilla 1.5.

Mark Parnell

Must be a local problem.

Could be. Maybe one of the add-ons I have downloaded is conflicting with
your page or something. :-?
Tested here without crashes in:

* Mozilla 1.6, Linux
* Mozilla 1.4, Linux
* Mozilla 1.0.2, Windows
* Mozilla Firefox 0.8, Windows
* Mozilla Firebird 0.6.1, Linux

Very strange. Leif said he has problems, too (though didn't say what
version etc) so maybe it is something in the latest version of Mozilla
on Windoze.

Anyway, just though you might like to know. :)

Mark Parnell

A browser crashing can never be the fault of the document being viewed,
the cause is always the browser, the document at best can only trigger.

Looked at that way, yes I guess you're right. :)
No need to go bug hunting, a report will suffice.

Except that surely I should check whether there is already a bug report
on that problem. And when I don't know what it is that is actually
causing it...

Plus both you and Toby aren't having any problems, so it may be
something in my setup.