ABI related question

Discussion in 'C++' started by Vijai, Sep 22, 2004.

  1. Vijai

    Vijai Guest

    Hello,

    I apologize if the following are brain-damaged.

    1. Is the ABI the document that specifies how objects, methods,
    functions etc are laid out in libraries?

    2. If so, if there exists a standardized ABI (such as the C ABI) does
    that mean that libraries compiled for a particular platform by
    different compilers (such as say for Linux x86) are inter-operable i.e
    can I link in LibA compiled with CompilerA with my new program B which
    I am gonna compile with CompilerB?

    3. If the above are true, isn't there a C++ ABI. I saw one for Itanium
    C++ ABI. What about 32bit x86?

    thanx,

    -vijai.

    Vijai, Sep 22, 2004

  2. Vijai

    Ron Natalie Guest

    "Vijai" <> wrote in message > 1. Is the ABI the document that specifies how objects, methods,
    > functions etc are laid out in libraries?
    >
    > 2. If so, if there exists a standardized ABI (such as the C ABI) does
    > that mean that libraries compiled for a particular platform by
    > different compilers (such as say for Linux x86) are inter-operable i.e
    > can I link in LibA compiled with CompilerA with my new program B which
    > I am gonna compile with CompilerB?
    >
    > 3. If the above are true, isn't there a C++ ABI. I saw one for Itanium
    > C++ ABI. What about 32bit x86?

    There is no standard C or C++ ABI. Some platforms, or even groups of
    platforms may define such, but it's outside the realm of the standards (or this
    group).

    Ron Natalie, Sep 22, 2004

  3. Vijai

    Greg Comeau Guest

    In article <>,
    Vijai <> wrote:
    >Hello,
    >
    >I apologize if the following are brain-damaged.
    >
    >1. Is the ABI the document that specifies how objects, methods,
    >functions etc are laid out in libraries?

    if there was one, it would do things like that, yes.

    >2. If so, if there exists a standardized ABI (such as the C ABI) does

    There is no "C ABI".

    >that mean that libraries compiled for a particular platform by
    >different compilers (such as say for Linux x86) are inter-operable i.e
    >can I link in LibA compiled with CompilerA with my new program B which
    >I am gonna compile with CompilerB?
    >
    >3. If the above are true, isn't there a C++ ABI. I saw one for Itanium
    >C++ ABI. What about 32bit x86?

    There is an IA-64 ABI specification for C++, and yes, the intent
    is to achieve stuff like that, but there are other ABI's too,
    none of which is required by Standard C++.
    --
    Greg Comeau / Comeau C++ 4.3.3, for C++03 core language support

    Greg Comeau, Sep 22, 2004