Access '97 Connection Problem

Frank

I am developing with VS.NET 2003 on the ASP.NET 1.1 platform.

I have created a small app that interacts with an existing Access 97 db. At
this point in time, my higher ups are unwilling to migrate the db to a more
current version.

The app works on my local machine no problem. I have the db located in the
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Database folder.

I was instructed to upload the app to a certain company server, which runs
Windows Server 2003. The database however, resides on a different company
server.

Now when I try to run my app, I get the following error. I am perplexed
because other apps written in classic asp are able to interact with this db.
Any suggestions?

Server Error in '/IB' Application.

The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file
'\\a-main\drive-c\bestdesk\desk.mdb'. It is already opened exclusively by
another user, or you need permission to view its data.

Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: The Microsoft Jet
database engine cannot open the file '\\a-main\drive-c\bestdesk\desk.mdb'.
It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to
view its data.

Source Error:

Line 106: cmdSelect = new OleDbCommand(strSelect, myConnection);
Line 107:
Line 108: myConnection.Open();
Line 109: object ret = cmdSelect.ExecuteScalar();
Line 110: myConnection.Close();

Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\ib\layers\data\ib_data.cs Line: 108

Stack Trace:

[OleDbException (0x80004005): The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open
the file '\\a-main\drive-c\bestdesk\desk.mdb'. It is already opened
exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data.]
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.ProcessResults(Int32 hr) +20
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.InitializeProvider() +57
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open() +203
IB.Layers.Data.IB_Data.Find_Broker(String IB_Acct, String Key) in
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\ib\layers\data\ib_data.cs:108
IB.Layers.Business.IB_Biz.Find_Broker(String IB_Acct, String Key) in
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\ib\layers\business\ib_biz.cs:90
IB.Controls.Ctrl_logon.Btn_Login_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\IB\Ctrls\Ctrl_logon.ascx.cs:85
eventArgument) +57
sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18

sloan

I'm not sure if Microsoft Jet is "auto included" anymore.

You might have to install it explicitly.

Also.

That error sometimes means a "readonly" status on the file....via whichever
account is trying to open it.

Check user priv's for the asp.net account.

KB829558
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...26-5c60-44bc-a2ce-1e40c7fe2b34&DisplayLang=en

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------

[...]

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePo
stBackEvent(String
eventArgument) +57
sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET
Version:1.1.4322.2300

sloan

Keep in mind, those are suggestions, I don't know if that is the exact
issue.