Access Denied executing Batch File from CreateProcessAsUser

S Hayes

I am trying to run a batch file from within an Asp.net webservice and am
receiving an Access Denied error. I have verified that the impersonated user
has proper rights to the directory that the batch file is in by executing a
program from the same directory. It seems that everything works fine for non
batch file execution, but batch files return an error.

I'm currently running under IIS 5.

Yunus Emre ALPÖZEN [MCP]

The batch file executed under IIS user account. You should define rights for
it. Impersonation doesn't work for your scenario

S Hayes

I don't understand what you mean by "The batch file executed under IIS user
account". I am using the CreateProcessAsUser which will create the process
using the credentials of the passed in Token which I am getting from the
Impersonated user. Again, I have verified this works when executing a
program file, but fails when executing a batch file.

Yunus Emre ALPÖZEN [MCP]

do u develop an ASP.NET web service ???

"CreateProcessAsUser property specifies whether a CGI process is created in
the system context or in the context of the requesting user"
not a batch application.

My advice u to use System.Diagnostics.Process...

Do u have any sample code to cause error again??

S Hayes

I can't use System.Diagnostics.Process in my case since this class ALWAYS
creates the process with the underlying process security context, not the
impersonated users security context.

This code is being executed within a ASP.NET web services.

The following is the function that is being called. When the executable
parameter passed in is a batch file, I get the 'Access Denied' error on the
CreateProcessAsUser call. If the executable parameter is a program, then
everything works nicely. As stated in earlier Threads, both the batch file
and the program file are in the same directory and the impersonated user has
Full rights.

<<**********************************
#region Win32 declarations

[StructLayout(LayoutKind.Sequential)]
private struct STARTUPINFO
{
public int cb;
public String lpReserved;
public String lpDesktop;
public String lpTitle;
public uint dwX;
public uint dwY;
public uint dwXSize;
public uint dwYSize;
public uint dwXCountChars;
public uint dwYCountChars;
public uint dwFillAttribute;
public uint dwFlags;
public short wShowWindow;
public short cbReserved2;
public IntPtr lpReserved2;
public IntPtr hStdInput;
public IntPtr hStdOutput;
public IntPtr hStdError;
}

[StructLayout(LayoutKind.Sequential)]
private struct PROCESS_INFORMATION
{
public IntPtr hProcess;
public IntPtr hThread;
public uint dwProcessId;
public uint dwThreadId;
}

[StructLayout(LayoutKind.Sequential)]
private struct SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES
{
public int Length;
public IntPtr lpSecurityDescriptor;
public bool bInheritHandle;
}

[DllImport("kernel32.dll")]
private static extern bool GetExitCodeProcess(IntPtr hProcess, out uint
lpExitCode);

[DllImport("kernel32", SetLastError=true, ExactSpelling=true)]
private static extern Int32 WaitForSingleObject(IntPtr handle, Int32
milliseconds);

[DllImport("kernel32.dll", EntryPoint="CloseHandle", SetLastError=true,
CharSet=CharSet.Auto, CallingConvention=CallingConvention.StdCall)]
private extern static bool CloseHandle(IntPtr handle);

[DllImport("advapi32.dll", EntryPoint="CreateProcessAsUser",
SetLastError=true, CharSet=CharSet.Ansi,
CallingConvention=CallingConvention.StdCall)]
private extern static bool CreateProcessAsUser(IntPtr hToken, String
lpApplicationName, String lpCommandLine, ref SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES
lpProcessAttributes,
ref SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES lpThreadAttributes, bool bInheritHandle, int
dwCreationFlags, IntPtr lpEnvironment,
String lpCurrentDirectory, ref STARTUPINFO lpStartupInfo, out
PROCESS_INFORMATION lpProcessInformation);

[DllImport("advapi32.dll", EntryPoint="DuplicateTokenEx",
SetLastError=true)]
private extern static bool DuplicateTokenEx(IntPtr ExistingTokenHandle,
uint dwDesiredAccess,
ref SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES lpThreadAttributes, int TokenType,
int ImpersonationLevel, ref IntPtr DuplicateTokenHandle);

#endregion

public static int RunProcessAsUser(string executable,string cmdLine,int
timeOut)
{
int errorCode = 0;
bool ret;
IntPtr token = new IntPtr(0);
IntPtr dupedToken = new IntPtr(0);

SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES sa = new SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES();
sa.bInheritHandle = false;
sa.Length = Marshal.SizeOf(sa);
sa.lpSecurityDescriptor = (IntPtr)0;

token = WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent().Token;
const uint GENERIC_ALL = 0x10000000;

const int SecurityImpersonation = 2;
const int TokenType = 1;

ret = DuplicateTokenEx(token, GENERIC_ALL, ref sa, SecurityImpersonation,
TokenType, ref dupedToken);

if (ret == false)
{
errorCode = Marshal.GetLastWin32Error();
throw new Exceptions.SecurityException("Unable to duplicate User
Security Token",new Win32Exception(errorCode));
}

STARTUPINFO si = new STARTUPINFO();
si.cb = Marshal.SizeOf(si);
si.lpDesktop = "";

PROCESS_INFORMATION pi = new PROCESS_INFORMATION();
ret = CreateProcessAsUser(dupedToken, executable, cmdLine, ref sa, ref
sa, false, 0, (IntPtr)0, null, ref si, out pi);

if (ret == false)
{
errorCode = Marshal.GetLastWin32Error();
throw new Exceptions.SecurityException("Unable to Create Process for
User",new Win32Exception(errorCode));
}

if(WaitForSingleObject( pi.hProcess, timeOut ) != 0)
throw new Exceptions.WarningException("Timeout running User Process");

uint ec;
GetExitCodeProcess(pi.hProcess,out ec);
errorCode = (int)ec;

CloseHandle(pi.hProcess);
CloseHandle(pi.hThread);

CloseHandle(dupedToken);

return errorCode;
}

Joe Kaplan \(MVP - ADSI\)

Did you see some of the references to previous threads that suggested using
WMI to accomplish this? Apparently that solution works well. I can't
remember what the problem is with CreateProcessAsUser, but you seem to have
the same symptoms that others have complained of in the past.

Just a thought...

Joe K.