Accessing "GIS (ESRI shape file)" files from Python ?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Richard Shea, Jan 13, 2004.

  1. Richard Shea

    Richard Shea Guest

    Hi - As usual having Python is making me consider doing things I
    wouldn't normally !

    I've come across some files described as "GIS version (ESRI shape
    file)" which consitute an electronic map of the Wellington, New
    Zealand. There are six files in the package :

    suburbs.shx
    suburbs.prj
    suburbs.sbn
    suburbs.sbx
    suburbs.shp
    suburbs.shp.xml
    suburbs.dbf

    Can anyone tell me - is there, freely available, existing software
    accessible from Python which would allow me to read these files ? One
    thing I'm particularly interested to discover is if they contain
    contour (altitude) information so ideally that's that the sort of
    thing I would extract - but I'm just generally curious and wanting to
    educate myself a little in this area.

    In case it needs saying my knowledge of GIS is ... light ;-) but I'm
    interested to discover a little more.

    thanks

    richard shea.

    Richard Shea, Jan 13, 2004

  2. http://thuban.intevation.org/

    I have not used this but it purports to be able to read ESRI shapefiles
    and is written in Python + wxPython. If you are not totally dogmatic
    about using Python then you could just download ESRI's arcexplorer which
    seemed pretty useful when I used it several years ago

    Sean

    --
    "Hver sin smak", sa vintapperen, han drakk mens de andre sloss.

    Sean Richards, Jan 13, 2004

  3. Richard Shea

    Richard Shea Guest

    That's great - thanks very much just downloading Thuban now.

    thanks again.

    richard shea.

    Richard Shea, Jan 13, 2004
  4. Richard Shea wrote:
    > That's great - thanks very much just downloading Thuban now.
    >
    > thanks again.
    >
    > richard shea.

    And if that doesn't work out, you might also try:

    http://openev.sourceforge.net/

    which appears to have ESRI Shapefile support, and to be
    scriptable in python.

    - Khalid

    Khalid Zuberi, Jan 13, 2004
  5. Richard Shea

    geospatialpython

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Python Shapefile Library

    You can use the Python Shapefile Library hosted on Google Code:

    code.google.com/p/pyshp

    This library has no dependencies other than the Python Standard Library. In addition to the documentation on the project site you can find usage examples at GeospatialPython.com.

    NOTE: Most libraries will only deal with the shp, shx, and dbf files in that collection.

    geospatialpython, Feb 14, 2011