Accessing POI generated Excel from client

Swathi

We are trying to export data from jsp to excel. As there is problem
with size of excel being downloaded, we are using POI which solved our
problem of memory and time taken to download. But now we are not able
to access the file from the client. The problem is as follows.

We are placing Excel file in "C:\\temp\\reportResult.xls" (Outside the
EAR folder structure) and accessing it from the application. It is
working if the server and client are same. If the client is remote
machine, we are not able to open the file, as client does not have
access to server machine.

We tried by placing the excel file in shared folder and accessing it
using system name. But this is not working. It is opening a blank file.

If we place the file in server context path(inside EAR folder and
accessing with http://servername:port/applcontext/.../
reportResult.xls), it is working. But because of some specifications we
can not place this file in EAR directory structure.

Is there any other way to access the POI generated excel file(placed in
file system of server otherthan context path) from the client's
browser?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Scott Ellsworth

Swathi said:
We tried by placing the excel file in shared folder and accessing it
using system name. But this is not working. It is opening a blank file.

We did that once - writing to an NFS shared directory.

We did have one problem - we absolutely had to make sure that the file
was closed, as otherwise, the IO would be NFS buffered at the server.
We then had to put a 100 ms delay, to make sure NFS noted the changes.

Scott