    application containers, web start, JINI, I am sure that I am missing
    many.

    , Jan 18, 2007

  2. wrote:
    > being new to java et el. I am getting confused in so many acronyms used
    > in java. why are there so many acronyms, are all of them necessary?

    I have problems with some of Sun's naming and
    acronyms, but more relevant to your question/complaint
    is that each acronym has a different meaning.

    So ..yes.

    I find this handy for 'all those damnable' acronyms
    http://www.google.com/search?q=acronym

    Though you need to add the acronym itself..

    > to name a few JAXP, JAI, JAAS, JFC, JNI, JMF, ....

    E.G.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=acronym jaas
    http://www.google.com/search?q=acronym jai

    Usually, the acronim* will be the title of one of the
    pages on the first 1st page of results.

    * Even better, because acronym is tricky to spell,
    variants like..
    http://www.google.com/search?q=acronim
    http://www.google.com/search?q=akronim
    ...will have the search result page asking..
    "Did you mean: acronym"

    Just a note that the waters do not have to be
    so muddy and unclear, if you have a few handy
    tricks in your 'toolkit'.

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Jan 18, 2007

  3. Alex Hunsley Guest

    wrote:
    > being new to java et el. I am getting confused in so many acronyms used
    > in java. why are there so many acronyms, are all of them necessary?

    No, none of them are necessary at all, but then people would be writing
    out the names of things in full all the time. Typing Java Database
    Connector in full would soon get tiresome. JDBC much easier to type.

    If you're actually asking why there are so many
    technologies/APIs/frameworks around Java - well, usually if there is a
    need of some sort, someone will invent something. Sometimes these
    invented things are used needlessly and excessively though.

    > and are all these specifications necessary?

    Specs do tend to help. If there wasn't a servlet specification, for
    example, you wouldn't have a choice of which servlet container sotware
    to use. And so on.

    > arent most of these things just
    > libraries or APIs, why arent they part of jdk

    Why don't all shops in the high street sell just one thing: an enormous
    package containing everything you might ever need?

    > I am just trying to understand since other languages does not have all
    > this,

    A lot of other languages do have "all this", e.g. look at all the
    modules/libs you can get for Python, Perl, C, et al.

    > to name a few JAXP, JAI, JAAS, JFC, JNI, JMF, java faces, servelets,
    > containers, application servers
    > application containers, web start, JINI, I am sure that I am missing
    > many.

    The key is not to just throw technology at something just because the
    technology is there. For example, a full EJB persisted web application
    might be overkill for a certain application (and often will be), whereby
    something as simple as a few servlets with a bit of JDBC might just be
    fine.

    Knowing a little about these things, perhaps enough in order to know
    when they might be useful (and then you can find out more), is quite
    handy though.

    lex

    Alex Hunsley, Jan 19, 2007