    My first question is, will this make a difference in the speed of the files
    being uploaded? Second, does anyone have any pointers or suggestions for me
    on things I should watch out for or examples?
    MDB, Feb 8, 2008

  2. "MDB" <MDB @ NO SPAM DOT COM> wrote in message
    news:...

    > I am thinking about writing my own ActiveX File upload control things I
    > should watch out for

    ActiveX is restricted to Microsoft Internet Explorer - no other browsers
    supports it, nor are they ever likely to...

    While IE represents the largest share of the browser market
    (http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2008/January/browser.php), you should
    really think carefully before using ActiveX on a public website...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP
    Mark Rae [MVP], Feb 8, 2008

  3. MDB

    bruce barker Guest

    http/ftp upload use a standard tcp/ip stream to upload a file. you cannot
    make this go faster with your own code. you have two options:

    1) add compression before upload (zip it first), this won't work if already
    done.

    2) write a private protocol not using streams, but switch to UDP. UPD is not
    a reliable protocol, so you need to handle sequencing and rebroadcast of lost
    packets. UPD is faster than TCP because there is no ack between packets. you
    usually send multiple packets then a ack pack.

    note: tcp/ip now uses sliding windows (more packets before ack), so you will
    need to be a really good coder to beat it, but you can.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Feb 8, 2008
  4. MDB

    MDB Guest

    Thanks Bruce, my idea of writing an activex control was so I could add
    compression to the files or resize images being uploaded. I am pretty sure
    this has to be done using sometype of active x control, am I correct?

    MDB, Feb 8, 2008
  5. MDB

    bruce barker Guest

    yes. the active/x control will also need to be signed.

    or you could write the tool in silverlight.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Feb 8, 2008
  6. MDB

    MDB Guest

    Thanks, I have been thinking about looking into silverlight anyway. I guess
    now will be a good time to do so.

    MDB, Feb 8, 2008