add doctype dynamically....

dorayme

windandwaves said:
Hi

For my google maps, I have to use the following doctype:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://
www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
microsoft-com:vml">

This means that my page does not validate anymore.

Is there a way to use this doctype AND validate the page at the same
time?

It is no big deal that it does not validate if no trouble is
being experienced. I know, you don't like it though!

Benjamin Niemann

Hi,
For my google maps, I have to use the following doctype:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://
www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
microsoft-com:vml">

This means that my page does not validate anymore.

Is there a way to use this doctype AND validate the page at the same
time?

You could try to create a DTD which adds the VML elements and attributes to
XHTML (or use an existing, if you can find one). But that would require a
different public identifier, probably forcing the browser into quirks
mode - that's probably a price you don't wanna pay...
You may also try to use a schema based validator, which is namespace aware -
DTD base validation is pretty much useless, when multiple namespaces are
used. Can't say, if that actually works without an example though...

HTH