    accept 10pt rather than the 12pt txt that apparently is the norm.

    Thanks

    --Adam--

    Adam Smith, Sep 9, 2006

  2. Adam Smith

    RobG Guest

    Adam Smith wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > How does one adjust the input field size (height) in a form, say to
    > accept 10pt rather than the 12pt txt that apparently is the norm.

    This has nothing to do with JavaScript, but anyhow... you control the
    size of the font using font-size, either through CSS or the input's
    style object. The input will usually be re-sized to suit.

    Most people don't like you playing with their font sizes, it is
    generally best to leave them alone.

    --
    Rob

    RobG, Sep 9, 2006

  3. Adam Smith

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    "RobG" <> wrote:

    > Adam Smith wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > How does one adjust the input field size (height) in a form, say to
    > > accept 10pt rather than the 12pt txt that apparently is the norm.

    > This has nothing to do with JavaScript, but anyhow... you control the
    > size of the font using font-size, either through CSS or the input's
    > style object. The input will usually be re-sized to suit.
    >
    > Most people don't like you playing with their font sizes, it is
    > generally best to leave them alone.

    Plus, as a general rule, don't make input fields smaller, make
    them bigger because the small ones irritate me.

    And even more general, this having nothing to do with me, don't
    use point sizes unless we are talking print things. Use ems or %

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Sep 9, 2006
  4. RobG <> scripsit:

    >> How does one adjust the input field size (height) in a form, say to
    >> accept 10pt rather than the 12pt txt that apparently is the norm.

    > This has nothing to do with JavaScript,

    or with HTML, really. Some browsers actually let you affect the font in
    input fields using text-level markup like <font> or <big>, but there's
    hardly any reason to do so.

    So the _correct_ group for the question would not be _any_ of the groups it
    was posted to. That's more than common in crossposting. People should really
    try and find the right group rather than post their messages around.

    Followups set to alt.html only.

    > but anyhow... you control the
    > size of the font using font-size, either through CSS or the input's
    > style object. The input will usually be re-sized to suit.

    Indeed. But I think the OP needs to be corrected: 12pt is not the norm, and
    there is no norm for the size. Besides, the most _common_ default in
    browsers is 10pt, but the characteristics of the default font may prevent
    people from seeing this. Anyway, browsers generally use _reduced_ font
    size - i.e., smaller than the copy text font size they use by default, or
    the overall font size - for form fields, so there _is_ a case for setting
    the font size of an input field.

    > Most people don't like you playing with their font sizes, it is
    > generally best to leave them alone.

    Generally yes, but for form fields,
    input, textarea { font-size: 100%; }
    might be a good idea, if you wish to use form fields for letting users type
    their input comfortably, rather than as an expression of the best you can do
    in artistic design.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/