ADO.NET missing?

Psych971

Hi, I'm wondering where I'm supposed to get the ADO.NET component? The
documentation says to reference System.Data.ADO but it seems to be missing
from my system as I've checked the System.Data namespace in the Visual
Studio object browser and it's not there. Is this a separate component that
has to be purchased or downloaded ? If so where can I find it?

Thanks,
Richard

Kevin Spencer

System.Data
System.Data.SqlClient
System.Data.OleDb
System.Data.Odbc

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Psych971

Yes, but isn't there a System.Data.ADO namespace? Or is it just those
namespaces that constitute ADO? Thanks, Kevin.

-Richard

WJ

It depends on what your needs are: If you just develop Asp.Net Web
Application using ADO.Net, then you need not to worry about where these
assemblies are located at. It is automatically referenced using
"System.Data.Dll" as soon as you drop the Data control(s) on your form.
Example; The SQL Connection or the DataADapter controls (from the Data tab).
However, if you want to call ADO methods itself, you will have to reference
them from the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\Primary Interop Assemblies"
folder. In this folder, there is such thing as "adodb.dll" and several
others.

Hope this helps,

John Webb

Juan T. Llibre [MVP]

Referencing System.Data.ADO will throw an error.

If you're still using Beta 1 of the .Net Framework ,
it does work, but it won't work with any version later
than Beta 1.

System.Data.ADO doesn't exist any more.
It was deprecated in Beta 2 of the .Net Framework.

Juan T. Llibre
===========

Kevin Spencer

Basically, those are the namespaces that comprise (most of) ADO.Net.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

WJ

I did say "System.Data.Dll", not "System.Data.ADO". And this is done
automatically for you by the VS.Net IDE. You do not need to do it if you are
using Asp.Net to interface with SQL/Server. The "ADODB.DLL" must be manually
referenced if you want to use direct "Interop." calls such as DataLink...

John

Juan T. Llibre [MVP]

Yes, John.

I was adding to your comment, since many
people don't use an IDE ( like VS.NET )
which auto-references needed resources.

Juan T. Llibre