advice, python for binary to xml

noydb

I'm looking for knowlegde about how best to go about converting a binary file (from a GPS unit) to GPX/XML. I am completely clueless on this, so any start-from-the-beginning info would be greatly appreciated! I'm guessing the level of effort will be huge?
Python 2.7, Windows 7

Maarten

I'm looking for knowlegde about how best to go about converting a binary file (from a GPS unit) to GPX/XML. I am completely clueless on this, so any start-from-the-beginning info would be greatly appreciated! I'm guessingthe level of effort will be huge?

I assume that you've looked into GPSBabel? http://www.gpsbabel.org/

Maarten

noydb

I assume that you've looked into GPSBabel? http://www.gpsbabel.org/

Maarten

Yes, I have. Was hoping to use it, but client is very resistent to adding such things to their system - python is desireable. So what GPSbabel does is what I need, just one translation, from Garmin's gdb file (binary) to gpx.

Maarten

Yes, I have. Was hoping to use it, but client is very resistent to adding such things to their system - python is desireable. So what GPSbabel does is what I need, just one translation, from Garmin's gdb file (binary) to gpx.

They realize that they'll get a much higher bill, and more bugs to boot?

I don't think there is an easy way around this, but at least you have some code to start reading gdb - as far as I know the GPSBabel sources are the only public description of the gdb file format. It is not trivial, but restricting yourself to the parts needed for the application may provide some shortcuts.

Maarten - pay more, get less: way to go.

8

88888 Dihedral

noydbæ–¼ 2013å¹´1月31日星期四UTC+8下åˆ9時33分48秒寫é“:
I'm looking for knowlegde about how best to go about converting a binary file (from a GPS unit) to GPX/XML. I am completely clueless on this, so any start-from-the-beginning info would be greatly appreciated! I'm guessingthe level of effort will be huge?

Python 2.7, Windows 7

OK, since I was in charge of a project
to retrieve the GPS with the RSA232 NMEA TEXT messages into a computer program before,
I have not checked about the NMEA protocal (PUREASCII)
for more than 10 years.

But I worked with usb interfaces, too.