advice

Lloyd Dupont

I need to convince my boss to use ASP.NET
We will start a new web project soon.

he is hesitating between JSP, and ASP.NET.
I think I could convince him ASP.NET would be faster to develop, easier to
deploy.

(he is hard to convince, I suspect him to be afraid everone is antimicrosoft
as 90% destop seems to prove!)

however there is this few issue I still need to convince him:

1. will it run on Linux or Solaris ?
(of course there is mono ! I answered... although I have some doubt about
solaris)

2. does it scale well ?
(some dumb minded peope loudly said at last I know JSP scale well, while
this new .NET technology, mfff.....)
=> do you have any example of website with obviously huge traffic using
ASP.NET and working well ?

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) [MVP]

Lloyd Dupont said:
I need to convince my boss to use ASP.NET
We will start a new web project soon.

he is hesitating between JSP, and ASP.NET.
I think I could convince him ASP.NET would be faster to develop, easier to
deploy.

Better tools: While some of the Java tools are nice, I know of none that
compare to VS.NET in developer effeciency. Once familiar, you can shave off
a decent percentage of time.

Better model: At least for web development. If you go extreme OO, the
benefits of .NET are less noticeable.

More flexibility: Java is fairly tightly sandboxed in all implementations.
You have the ability to tailor security to your needs and exposure and allow
a bit more in .NET. This part of the flexibility game is a double-edged
sword, however, as it can lead to security risks when taken to the nth. You
are also flexible in deployment, out of the box. While a great developer can
code anything in any platform (or nearly anything), .NET has the ability to
load full functioned desktop apps on a single click, if that is one of the
desires.
(he is hard to convince, I suspect him to be afraid everone is antimicrosoft
as 90% destop seems to prove!)

however there is this few issue I still need to convince him:

1. will it run on Linux or Solaris ?
(of course there is mono ! I answered... although I have some doubt about
solaris)

Not sure of Solaris right now. Linux definitely, as well as BSD. You have
both Mono and DotGnu out there to pick from, if you need to deploy on Linux.
You will not get all of the benefits of the .NET platform from either of
these open source initiatives, however, as they have not completed version
1.0 functionality, much less 1.1. Version 2.0 out next year, so there is a
lot of catching up to do.

I am not sure I could sell your boss, however, without a test on Solaris.
The speed of development might be hamstrung by the Mono or DotGnu
implementation.
2. does it scale well ?
(some dumb minded peope loudly said at last I know JSP scale well, while
this new .NET technology, mfff.....)
=> do you have any example of website with obviously huge traffic using
ASP.NET and working well ?

Most of the comparisons show .NET outpacing Java by a decent measure. As far
as large sites on ASP.NET, you certainly have Microsoft (although they
occasionally use .mspx custom extensions). Buy.com is moving to .NET, but
much of their site (rather huge) is still ASP. Not sure who else, but I am
sure a google search could yield an answer. The number of sites using .NET
has now passed Java, according to NetCraft, so I am fairly certain you can
find some
(http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2004/03/23/aspnet_overtakes_jsp_and_java_
servlets.html).

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!

Kevin Spencer

I hate to say this, being a Microsoft MVP, and a lover of everything
Microsoft, but you may NOT need to convince your boss to use ASP.Net. What I
believe you DO need to convince your boss is to go with one technology or
another, and not to mix Microsoft and non-Microsoft technologies. Why do I
say this, when it can certainly be done, and many businesses do it? Because
Microsoft technologies are designed to work with other Microsoft
technologies well, and follow a certain (successful) paradigm that Microsoft
has developed for Rapid Application Development. Whoever builds the stack
must maintain it. Microsoft has a great stack. But if you are developing on
a Linux or Solaris platform, and your boss wants to keep it that way, well,
you might want to stick with that route instead. While these stacks CAN
interact, it is problematic at best, and I have worked at a company that
ended up out of business because they tried to go both ways.

So, maybe my best advice to you is, you need to convince your boss to go
whole hog one way or the other, and if possible, make it the Microsoft way
(he will be glad in the long run).

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Sharon Tal

Lloyd Dupont said:
I need to convince my boss to use ASP.NET
We will start a new web project soon.

he is hesitating between JSP, and ASP.NET.
I think I could convince him ASP.NET would be faster to develop, easier to
deploy.

(he is hard to convince, I suspect him to be afraid everone is antimicrosoft
as 90% destop seems to prove!)

however there is this few issue I still need to convince him:

1. will it run on Linux or Solaris ?
(of course there is mono ! I answered... although I have some doubt about
solaris)

2. does it scale well ?
(some dumb minded peope loudly said at last I know JSP scale well, while
this new .NET technology, mfff.....)
=> do you have any example of website with obviously huge traffic using
ASP.NET and working well ?

Sharon Tal

Hi.
I don't know enough about scaleability or portability,
but i know this:
From all the articles i'v read, it seems that C# compiles better and runs
faster than Java.
So if you build your site using .Net and C#, it will run faster and will be
able to serve more users.
Sharon.

Lloyd Dupont

Thanks guys !
With your answers and some of my research I begin to have a better picture
of what I should say ....