After Word 2000 to 2003 upgrade: problems editing

rosco

I've been learning HTML basic and then CSS, using XP, writing '.txt' files
in Notepad, calling them up in Word 2000, where-in they appear in a
quasi-browser form, and, if it looks good, saving (converting) to a '.htm'
(html) file, then opening with IE6, Netscape7.1 and Opera7 to view the final
product. My home page is finished, looks good, and has been re-coded from
HTML to CSS, except for basic positioning, where I rely totally on tables to
get fully horizontally liquid layout.

I am ready to begin coding my secondary pages, but thought I would make a
seriously attempt to replace tables in my home page with CSS positioning
code. I bought a few text books, and followed advice and links provided by
this newsgroup, for example, http://www.meryl.net/css/ , which lists many
examples of tableless sites. My desire to remain fully liquid, I thought,
might be accomplished with the {position: relative} feature, used with
{display: block}or {width: percentage}-- or something of that fashion.
However, none of the {position: value} commands has any effect, in my hands,
nor does {display: block} or {display: blockquote}, nor does setting the
{width: value} to a fixed or percentage -- though {display: none} does work.

Thinking that Word 2000 may not be fully CSS compliant, I first tried
downloading Word 2000 upgrades (converters), and, when that didn't work, I
bought the pricey Word 2003 upgrade to 2000 -- all very fancy, with lots of
HTML and web coding bells and whistles, but, the basic procedure I use of
writing code in txt files, converting to HTML with Word, then viewing with a
browser, no longer works. The '.txt' files -- the very same ones that work
with 2000 -- when opened in 2003 look like txt files, not a quasi-browser
form; and these '.txt' file when saved (converted) to '.htm' or any of the
other options still look like '.txt' files in Word 2003; and when the
resulting '.htm' files are called up in a browser, they still look like
'.txt' files. If I go back to just Word 2000 then I can work again.

1) Are there simple commands that will enable me to use 2003 like I
have been using 2000? I've looked and looked.

2) Is there a another way to write code directly in 2003, either
starting with '.txt' files, or, perhaps, coding directly in HTML? (I'm not
even sure what a HTML editor is and how it differs from what I've been
doing -- forgive my ignorance.)

3) If HTML editing is what may give me access to CSS positioning
effects, should I ignore 2003 and go with a free editor (suggested recently
a few posts downstream in this newsgroup), or, if necessary, purchase
Frontpage? Would Frontpage give me CSS liquid-style layouts?

4) If my current table-liquid-layout format works will enough, should
I forget, for the time being, about positioning with CSS , being fully CSS
compliant, and just get on with it?

Thanks in advance for wading through my problem and any advice you may have.

Rosco

Edwin van der Vaart

rosco wrote:

[snip]
3) If HTML editing is what may give me access to CSS positioning
effects, should I ignore 2003 and go with a free editor (suggested recently
a few posts downstream in this newsgroup), or, if necessary, purchase
Frontpage? Would Frontpage give me CSS liquid-style layouts?

Use "Words200x" only for writing documents and use a WYSIWYG/ASCII html
editor for html and css. Even FP is better then "Words".
Each editor doesn't make a liquid-style layout, because the writer makes
it better.

brucie

in post: <
rosco said:
I've been learning HTML basic and then CSS, using XP, writing '.txt' files
in Notepad, calling them up in Word 2000, where-in they appear in a
quasi-browser form, and, if it looks good, saving (converting) to a '.htm'
(html) file, then opening with IE6, Netscape7.1 and Opera7 to view the final
product.

why aren't you just saving your files with a .html extension and then
opening them in a browser to check them out?
I am ready to begin coding my secondary pages, but thought I would make a
seriously attempt to replace tables
URL?

in my home page with CSS positioning code.

positioning usually isn't needed. use the natural flow of the elements
as much as possible using margins/paddings etc to make adjustments.
I bought a few text books,

not really a good investment when everything you need to know is freely
available on the net.
Thinking that Word 2000 may not be fully CSS compliant,

word isn't compliant with anything. don't use any MS product for
authoring web documents.
should I ignore 2003 and go with a free editor
yes!

or, if necessary, purchase Frontpage?
no!

If my current table-liquid-layout format works will enough, should
I forget, for the time being, about positioning with CSS , being fully CSS
compliant, and just get on with it?

you have to answer that one for yourself.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven rosco:

Your submission for "understatement of the week?" said:
the basic procedure I use of writing code in txt files, converting
to HTML with Word,

You are creating in a text editor. Just save the files as
filename.html and view them directly in your browser.

Toss Word out the window(s).

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept said:
Thinking that Word 2000 may not be fully CSS compliant, I first tried
downloading Word 2000 upgrades (converters), and, when that didn't
work, I bought the pricey Word 2003 upgrade to 2000[...]

Just one question... why don't you buy the pricey Dreamweaver MX and use it
for typing letters? Then you can explain why you purchased the pricey Word
2003 for web dev...

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss.

Email address is not valid. (e-mail address removed). Take the dog out!

longroad

as soon as i read the subject line with "word" in it i knew i wouldnt have
to read any further....

Whitecrest

as soon as i read the subject line with "word" in it i knew i wouldnt have
to read any further....

But you quoted the entire message (and top posted to boot) just to say
that....

George Self

why aren't you just saving your files with a .html extension and then
opening them in a browser to check them out?

Keep in mind, though, that if you want to use Notepad to create HTML
files you have to save the file with an ".html" extension AND select
"All Files" as the file type. Notepad has a nasty habit of appending a
".txt" to every file name, so you'll end up with a file named
"index.html.txt".

For what it's worth, I think you'll be much more productive if you get
an HTML editor rather than Notepad. There are great editors available
for free (my favorite is HTML KIT) and others you'll have to pay a bit
for. You should at least give some of the free ones a spin to see if
you like the results.

brucie

in post: <
George Self said:
Keep in mind, though, that if you want to use Notepad to create HTML
files you have to save the file with an ".html" extension AND select
"All Files" as the file type.

no you don't, use quotes. "file.html"
For what it's worth, I think you'll be much more productive if you get
an HTML editor rather than Notepad.

yep, at least something that syntax highlights
There are great editors available for free (my favorite is HTML KIT)

icky poo, it takes longer to start than it does to author a page.

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

rosco said:
I've been learning HTML basic and then CSS, using XP, writing '.txt' files
in Notepad, calling them up in Word 2000, where-in they appear in a
quasi-browser form, and, if it looks good, saving (converting) to a '.htm'
(html) file, then opening with IE6, Netscape7.1 and Opera7 to view the final
product.

why not just write it in notepad, and save as a htm file and open
directly in the browser?