AI Example Help

Discussion in 'Python' started by Trevor Nelson, Oct 12, 2012.

  1. Hello all,

    For the first time in well... a very long time I am coming to a loss on where to really get started here on the project I wish to undertake to help mereally get into Python programming.

    A quick explanation of how I learn. I learn best with example working smallcode bits. With the code I then disect it to understand how each part works. (within "beginner" limits of course).

    I have been looking around the web and google searching a whole lot the past week about and really have not had much luck on what I am needing / that is really helpful. So, I am here to beg/plead for some help on this.

    My end game goal is to create a "hybrid" chat bot. Such as that you can askit questions and talk to it etc. Such as asking "What's the server's current load?". I found out I could do that with the HOWIE bot I have been playing with. But, I am looking to build up a more "AI" system where instead of me asking all the questions, the bot can yell at me and say " HEY THE SERVER IS OUT OF RESOURCES".

    Further developement will lead to a FAQ style bot as well. Such as that where I can ask them things like (for a very basic example, what is a 404 error?), or even (what is causing a 500 ISE on the site? [by having it read thelogs and tell me what the logs say for the site])

    These are just the basics to help me get started. As I get more advanced and better at this, I would like to be able to have it crawl sites and learn different informain. Something as far fetched and I consider a "dream" would be it crawling the cpanel forums and gathering up the responses to questions so that I could query it as well.

    So, as I really, really, hate to have to ask. Does anyone have any example coding in what my basic needs are? As I feel that working off the HOWIE botwon't turn out to what I am wanting and then I will end up wasting a wholelot of time going in the wrong direction. Which is also why I am here

    TL;DR
    I really would truely appreciate and example coding of how to put together an initial basic "AI" bot where it can monitor the system and tell me alerts as with being able to query it for questions. As with I am looking for some sort of time efficient way for it to gather it's own data. As otherwise all the information I would have to manually put in would be extreme.

    I greatly appreciate any help you guys can prodive me with to help me get started. Before you assume I want everyone to do all the work for me, it's not the case. It's just that I learn best/faster from example code.
    Also, I am thinking of going with python 2.7 for this since it seems all the documentation I run into isn't for the 3.x Python.

    Thank you so much anyone who can help me. Also, if you are someone who actually knows how to do everything I have mentioned, I would even ben willing to hire a "tutor" to teach me these things.

    Trevor Nelson, Oct 12, 2012

  2. On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Trevor Nelson <> wrote:
    > I really would truely appreciate and example coding of how to put together an initial basic "AI" bot where it can monitor the system and tell me alerts as with being able to query it for questions. As with I am looking for some sort of time efficient way for it to gather it's own data. As otherwise all the information I would have to manually put in would be extreme.

    An interesting concept. AI monitoring systems have never really
    appealed to me; I personally prefer something with simpler and clearer
    rules (eg "if server load exceeds 3.0, raise an alert"), coupled with
    information retrieval commands that read like commands, not natural
    English. But I can see the value of the more "human-friendly style",
    if that's the term for it.

    > I greatly appreciate any help you guys can prodive me with to help me getstarted. Before you assume I want everyone to do all the work for me, it'snot the case. It's just that I learn best/faster from example code.
    > Also, I am thinking of going with python 2.7 for this since it seems all the documentation I run into isn't for the 3.x Python.

    Understandable.

    I would recommend treating this as two completely separate projects:
    1) Natural language request/response - the "AI" bit, tinkering with
    the HOWIE bot
    2) Server status querying, log analysis, etc, etc.

    You may already be familiar with one or the other, I don't know. But
    in any case, they're quite separate; it'll be easier to develop one
    and then the other. Divide your problem into pieces, then divide the
    pieces further, and keep on dividing until you have a series of
    one-banana problems[1].

    I would also recommend using Python 3.3, for several reasons:
    * There's plenty of docs for 3.3; perhaps web searches are
    highlighting 2.x, but if you go to the main docs page[2] you'll find
    3.3 there.
    * Py3 has much better Unicode support than Py2, a significant factor
    when you're working with natural language parsing
    * The 2.x line is no longer being developed. Only bugfixes and
    security patches will be applied. 3.x, on the other hand, has cool
    toys added periodically with new versions.

    ChrisA

    [1] http://catb.org/jargon/html/O/one-banana-problem.html
    [2] http://docs.python.org/py3k/

    Chris Angelico, Oct 12, 2012

  3. >
    > An interesting concept. AI monitoring systems have never really
    >
    > appealed to me; I personally prefer something with simpler and clearer
    >
    > rules (eg "if server load exceeds 3.0, raise an alert"), coupled with
    >
    > information retrieval commands that read like commands, not natural
    >
    > English. But I can see the value of the more "human-friendly style",
    >
    > if that's the term for it.

    The other goal on this project is to make the application work it's best toautomatically narrow down the cause and correct it by itself with a report..

    > > I greatly appreciate any help you guys can prodive me with to help me get started. Before you assume I want everyone to do all the work for me, it's not the case. It's just that I learn best/faster from example code.

    > > Also, I am thinking of going with python 2.7 for this since it seems all the documentation I run into isn't for the 3.x Python.

    > Understandable.
    >

    > I would recommend treating this as two completely separate projects:
    >
    > 1) Natural language request/response - the "AI" bit, tinkering with
    >
    > the HOWIE bot
    >
    > 2) Server status querying, log analysis, etc, etc.
    >

    > You may already be familiar with one or the other, I don't know. But
    >
    > in any case, they're quite separate; it'll be easier to develop one
    >
    > and then the other. Divide your problem into pieces, then divide the
    >
    > pieces further, and keep on dividing until you have a series of
    >
    > one-banana problems[1].

    This is what I have actually been thinking of doing is splitting up the HOWIE bot. But, that is one thing I am working on still to really figure out how to split it apart between automagicness of telling you things without user input. And then the input and answer part. Although, from what I can think of at this time is to write a main program that is the "Automagic part" and then it can call in Howie as needed?

    > I would also recommend using Python 3.3, for several reasons:
    >
    > * There's plenty of docs for 3.3; perhaps web searches are
    >
    > highlighting 2.x, but if you go to the main docs page[2] you'll find
    >
    > 3.3 there.
    >
    > * Py3 has much better Unicode support than Py2, a significant factor
    >
    > when you're working with natural language parsing
    >
    > * The 2.x line is no longer being developed. Only bugfixes and
    >
    > security patches will be applied. 3.x, on the other hand, has cool
    >
    > toys added periodically with new versions.

    I will have to see how HOWIE runs with python 3, and give it a shot.

    Trevor Nelson, Oct 12, 2012

  4. >

    Trevor Nelson, Oct 12, 2012