What is AI programming to us non-bigtech programmers?

Reaction score
I am a struggling programmer. Been trying to learn it for forever but don't get any better. A few weeks ago, I went to chatgpt and asked for it to make me a new social media platform better than facebook. it just got to work and started writing code until it crashed after many hundreds and hundreds of lines of code.

I'm trying to learn python. I've dabbled in c++, java, powershell and c#. I got the furthest in powershell in my abilities to program. I always though learning c++ to java to basic or whatever was like learning english to portegese to chinese. There was nothing in common. But, the more I see other languages, I see how similar they are.

The way I understand AI to us little programmers is we're just writing programs in some language and then using APIs to make a hook into Google or ChatGPT's Open AI's API, right? So, we're not writing AI... the big tech guys have already done that for us and we're just writing our code to call hooks into their apis to do it. So, is that it, or is there more? Is there something more with AI that I should be focusing my programming studies on?

Reaction score
AI is Artificial Intelligence...meaning it learns and adapts from the various types of inputs, based on what the program is designed to do, then creates an output. It's constantly learning an adapting to the point where it may even rewrite it's own coding if allowed too in order to make things faster and more efficient.
(See iRobot)

Connecting to an API is nothing more than basically creating a link to run input through someone else's script to get a predetermined output (format).

Reaction score
Last time I was in need of binary tree alghoritm in java. I came to GPT and asked for it but forgot mantion that it should be in java. It gave me perfectly done code in javascript. I corrected several lines and it worked. Then gave it back to GPT so it could add "remove_node" method , and also worked well. So, I think, You should work on giving it right tasks. Small piceses one by one.

I used it to create this http://infinityhost.ct8.pl/

And as c1lonewolf said, now I will "be someone else's script" xD

Reaction score
Are there any good tutorials on getting started using AI for programming? Kind of looking for the basic hello world app that uses AI. Maybe a template program that somehow asks and gives back some stupid trivial information using the most basic code and a hook into an API for AI.

Reaction score
I am a struggling programmer. Been trying to learn it for forever but don't get any better. A few weeks ago, I went to chatgpt and asked for it to make me a new social media platform better than facebook. it just got to work and started writing code until it crashed after many hundreds and hundreds of lines of code.

I'm trying to learn python. I've dabbled in c++, java, powershell and c#. I got the furthest in powershell in my abilities to program. I always though learning c++ to java to basic or whatever was like learning english to portegese to chinese. There was nothing in common. But, the more I see other languages, I see how similar they are.

The way I understand AI to us little programmers is we're just writing programs in some language and then using APIs to make a hook into Google or ChatGPT's Open AI's API, right? So, we're not writing AI... the big tech guys have already done that for us and we're just writing our code to call hooks into their apis to do it. So, is that it, or is there more? Is there something more with AI that I should be focusing my programming studies on?
As a programmer, you're not necessarily creating AI from scratch. You can leverage existing AI technologies through APIs provided by big tech companies like Google or OpenAI's ChatGPT. By utilizing these APIs, you can integrate AI capabilities into your own applications and projects. However, it's important to note that there's still plenty to learn about AI. Keep focusing on your programming studies, including Python which is widely used in AI development. As you gain more experience and knowledge, you'll discover new opportunities to incorporate AI into your projects.

Ask a Question