    Scott M. Guest

    What is the version number of AJAX when we talk about ASP .NET AJAX in VS
    2008?
    Scott M., Oct 4, 2008

  2. Scott M.

    bruce barker Guest

    its version 3.5 (to match the asp.net version number). all the server
    side ajax code (and javascript code as a resource) is in
    System.Web.Extensions.dll.

    vs2008 already has ajax project templates, that needed to be added to
    vs2005. there is a vs2008 download that will give ajax project support
    when targeting older frameworks (2.0/3.0).

    the ajax System.Web.Extensions support, the base ajax support library,
    timer control and update panel control.

    if you have not committed to System.Web.Extensions, I look at jQuery as
    a better ajax library for which MS has committed support (will be
    included with next visual studio release).

    if you don't know javascript and are not really going to write true ajax
    code, then the ms ajax update panel is probably your choice.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Oct 5, 2008

  3. There's only one version 1.0 since it's the same version that was released
    as a standalone download. The issue is when you build a .Net 3.5 app, the
    System.Web.Extensions DLL is available since it's part of the 3.5 framework.
    If you're using a 2.0 project then it's not available though you can
    download it from www.asp.net/ajax.

    Hope this helps,
    Mark Fitzpatrick

    Mark Fitzpatrick, Oct 5, 2008
  4. Scott M.

    Scott M. Guest

    Thanks Bruce. I am aware of the different levels of support in the various
    VS products, but I sometimes hear people say AJAX 1.0 and sometimes AJAX
    3.5.

    I am looking at my most recent issue of MSDN magazine, which has an article
    about AJAX 4.0, so I wanted to clarify.

    Thanks again.

    Scott M., Oct 5, 2008
  5. Scott M.

    Scott M. Guest

    Please see Bruce's reply, which seems to contradict your message.

    Thanks.

    Scott M., Oct 5, 2008
  6. AJAX 1.0 were the bits that shipped to work with .NET 2.0. THey are "in
    sync" number wise in 3.5.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Subscribe to my blog

    or just read it:

    | Think outside the box! |

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Oct 5, 2008
  7. Actually, they are essentially saying the same thing. Mark just clarified
    why the AJAX bits appear to be 3.5.

    The AJAX bits, technically, are 1.0. They were originally shipped for use
    with .NET 2.0 as a standalone. They were folded into the 3.5 Framework, so
    they were renumbered to fit this scheme.

    The same has happened with many other bits that are technically 1.0 with
    ..NET 3.5 SP1. And I imagine you will see MVC, which is version 1.0,
    becomming part of .NET 4.0.

    Today, you can get AJAX in two ways. Part of the 3.5 install (or SP1
    install), which both are "3.5" or downloaded for 2.0, which are labeled 1.0
    bits.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Subscribe to my blog

    or just read it:

    | Think outside the box! |

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Oct 5, 2008