AJAX

Guest

Hi!!! I am having a hard time processing 20,000 records using AJAX. AJAX
threw an internet connection timeout. Is there any way that I can increase
the internet connection timeout by using web.config? I am using ASP.NET 1.1.
Thanks!!!

Guest

Hi,

ScriptManager now exposes an AsyncPostBackTimeout property to control the
timeout duration during asynchronous postbacks.

If adjusting the timeout doesn't work out, you might consider an alternate
design.
You weren't very specific, but I cringe at the possibility of you sending
20,000 records all at once across the Internet. Sending data in chunks
would likely be an improvement.
If you're not sending tons of records across the Internet, but rather are
just processing that many on the server - then you might consider having
your AJAX call check the status of an ongoing server operation every X
seconds.

Guest

Hi,
Actully you have not given exact details as to in what way you are using
AJAX.Anyway you can try setting following attributes in web.config to higher
value:

<httpruntime executiontimeout="seconds" maxrequestlength="kbytes"
apprequestqueuelimit="numberOfRequests"/>
The default for maxrequestlength is 4096.You can increase thsat also in
addition to executiontimeout.
Hope this helps

Guest

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. I am currently the AJAX from Michael Schwarz. Do
you have any idea on setting the connection timeout? I am currently using
ASP.NET 1.1

Guest

Hi,
I am assuming that you have already set executiontimeout and
maxrequestlength attributes in we.config to a higher values.If that is not
helping then in
ADO.NET, there is a CommandTimeout property of the command object that
defaults to 30 seconds. A specification of 0 means infinite.You can also set
this value at application level by following code:
System.Data.IDbCommand.CommandTimeout = 50;
Hope this helps.
--
If my answer helped you,then please do press Yes below.
Thanks and Regards.

Guest

Hi,
Thank you for your suggestion. :)

Manish Bafna said:
Hi,
I am assuming that you have already set executiontimeout and
maxrequestlength attributes in we.config to a higher values.If that is not
helping then in
ADO.NET, there is a CommandTimeout property of the command object that
defaults to 30 seconds. A specification of 0 means infinite.You can also set
this value at application level by following code:
System.Data.IDbCommand.CommandTimeout = 50;
Hope this helps.
--
If my answer helped you,then please do press Yes below.
Thanks and Regards.
Manish Bafna.
MCP and MCTS.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

From your question, I would guess you are missing the point of AJAX. It is
designed primarily to enrich user experience and add usability, not to
become a secondary data transport.

My first take would be to figure out how to speed up your record processing.
No matter what data storage mechanism you are using (database server,
Access, XML) the best way to do this is to filter the results before
processing. The fewer records in the working set, the faster the query
completes. This, alone, may speed up your query so you can avoid the
timeout.

In 1.1, you have fewer choices with Asynchronous processing, as the ASP.NET
AJAX project, which has the script manager (mentioned by one of the posters)
is only available in 2.0. I am not sure which open source implementation
might have an asynch process. If none, speeding up your query, or increasing
timeout for all pages in your site, are your only options.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think outside the box!

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

What user does not want to read 20,000 records at a time? :)

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think outside the box!

Sachin Sahasrabudhe

Hi ...

we can use AsyncPostBackTimeout="0" for no time out .

Thanks,
Sachin S.