alistaprtstyle switcher, works but kills my default style :O(

Hardeep Rakhra

So close, yet so far :O(

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/alternate/

Using the above style switcher, however while it works, when you first
visit the site, it starts up with No style whatsoever. Default style
sheet is just ignored. It's something to do with the JS but i really
dunno what. I remove the JS and page loads happily with the default style.

anyone care to have a looksie @ http://makeupheaven.rakhra.org.uk

it's up and down depending on what i'm doing to it, but have a peek
perhaps you can spot whats happening.

Hardeep.

brucie

in post: <
Hardeep Rakhra said:

i can only describe the author as a brain dead moron for encouraging the
use of such a broken method. even cookies FFS.
Using the above style switcher, however while it works,

you have a funny idea of works
when you first visit the site, it starts up with No style whatsoever.
It's something to do with the JS but i really dunno what. I remove
the JS and page loads happily with the default style.

gee, my server side method works without a problem and it will always
work for everyone.

William Tasso

brucie said:
in post: <

i can only describe the author as a brain dead moron for encouraging
the use of such a broken method. even cookies FFS.

you have a funny idea of works

<q>
He's got the works, gives you sweet taste
Then you gotta split because you got no time to waste
I'm feeling good, feeling so fine
Until tomorrow, but that's just some other time
</q> Lou Reed

brucie

in post: <
William Tasso said:
<q>
He's got the works, gives you sweet taste
Then you gotta split because you got no time to waste
I'm feeling good, feeling so fine
Until tomorrow, but that's just some other time
</q> Lou Reed

<q>
And I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad
The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had
</q> gary jules

PeterMcC

in post: <

<q>
And I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad
The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had
</q> gary jules

I think Roland Orzabal might have a word or two to say about that
attribution :)

Hardeep Rakhra

brucie said:
gee, my server side method works without a problem and it will always
work for everyone.

From the user stand point. But what if the devloper has no access to a
server side language? Or hasn;t been informed enough at this stage to
know if the end product will reside on a server with said functionality.

I'd love to go the PHP way, it'd help me templete things nicely and do
all sorts of things to make my life easier, but for now it's outta the
question.

If JS works, i.e. behaves for the majority of the audience then hey, it
works.

Hardeep.

brucie

in post: <
From the user stand point.

of course from the users stand point. they want a site to work when they
visit it, they don't give a shit about what the developer wants or
thinks.
But what if the devloper has no access to a server side language?

then the developer needs to move to a server that supports server side
goodies. what kind of developer hasn't got server goodies anyway. their
client base would be miniscule if they couldn't do server side stuff.
Or hasn;t been informed enough at this stage to know if the end
product will reside on a server with said functionality.

you cant start a project without that knowledge and if server side
goodies is the best method but the server hasn't got the support then
you have to educate the clients why it would be a good idea to get it.

if they decline you make note of it in the contract to cover your arse
so when they want feedback forms, db content etc etc a few months down
the track you cant tell them they're idiots.
I'd love to go the PHP way,

then do so
it'd help me templete things nicely and do all sorts of things to
make my life easier, but for now it's outta the question.

why?

William Tasso

Hardeep said:
From the user stand point.

Anything else is relevant?
But what if the devloper has no access
to a server side language?

Then it isn't doable.
Or hasn;t been informed enough at this
stage to know if the end product will reside on a server with said
functionality.

Then walk away until the client either gets their act together or tasks you
with the responsibility. Life is too short to apply infrastructure
guesswork to professional solutions.

Spartanicus

brucie said:
i can only describe the author as a brain dead moron for encouraging the
use of such a broken method. even cookies FFS.

If server side is not an option then using js and cookies is fine for
this job (alternate ss switching = non essential fluff).

Jeffrey Silverman

i can only describe the author as a brain dead moron for encouraging the
use of such a broken method. even cookies FFS.

Here may be the reason why (quote from "about the author",
http://www.alistapart.com/authors/paulsowden/):

"Paul Sowden is a teenager from London, England. He believes the web would
be a better place if everyone used standards compliant design techniques."

Note the important part, "is a teenager".

I'm ready...