    it's up and down depending on what i'm doing to it, but have a peek
    perhaps you can spot whats happening.

    Hardeep.
    Hardeep Rakhra, Jan 15, 2004

  2. Hardeep Rakhra

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:bu63c9$e94ck$-berlin.de>
    Hardeep Rakhra <> said:

    > http://www.alistapart.com/articles/alternate/

    i can only describe the author as a brain dead moron for encouraging the
    use of such a broken method. even cookies FFS.

    > Using the above style switcher, however while it works,

    you have a funny idea of works

    > when you first visit the site, it starts up with No style whatsoever.
    > It's something to do with the JS but i really dunno what. I remove
    > the JS and page loads happily with the default style.

    gee, my server side method works without a problem and it will always
    work for everyone.

    --
    brucie - i usenet nude
    brucie, Jan 15, 2004

  3. brucie wrote:
    > in post: <news:bu63c9$e94ck$-berlin.de>
    > Hardeep Rakhra <> said:
    >
    >> http://www.alistapart.com/articles/alternate/

    > i can only describe the author as a brain dead moron for encouraging
    > the use of such a broken method. even cookies FFS.
    >
    >> Using the above style switcher, however while it works,

    > you have a funny idea of works

    <q>
    He's got the works, gives you sweet taste
    Then you gotta split because you got no time to waste
    I'm feeling good, feeling so fine
    Until tomorrow, but that's just some other time
    </q> Lou Reed
    --
    William Tasso
    William Tasso, Jan 15, 2004
  4. Hardeep Rakhra

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:bu66s3$e6hod$-berlin.de>
    "William Tasso" <> said:

    > <q>
    > He's got the works, gives you sweet taste
    > Then you gotta split because you got no time to waste
    > I'm feeling good, feeling so fine
    > Until tomorrow, but that's just some other time
    > </q> Lou Reed

    <q>
    And I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad
    The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had
    </q> gary jules

    --
    brucie - i usenet nude
    brucie, Jan 15, 2004
  5. Hardeep Rakhra

    PeterMcC Guest

    brucie <> wrote in
    <bu698v$dkn5c$-berlin.de>

    > in post: <news:bu66s3$e6hod$-berlin.de>
    > "William Tasso" <> said:
    >
    >> <q>
    >> He's got the works, gives you sweet taste
    >> Then you gotta split because you got no time to waste
    >> I'm feeling good, feeling so fine
    >> Until tomorrow, but that's just some other time
    >> </q> Lou Reed

    > <q>
    > And I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad
    > The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had
    > </q> gary jules

    I think Roland Orzabal might have a word or two to say about that
    attribution :)

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,
    PeterMcC, Jan 15, 2004
  6. Hardeep Rakhra

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:b6yNb.15170$9.net>
    "PeterMcC" <> said:

    >> <q>
    >> And I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad
    >> The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had
    >> </q> gary jules

    > I think Roland Orzabal might have a word or two to say about that
    > attribution :)

    ppfffttt nancy boy. jules's cover is far far superior.

    --
    brucie - i usenet nude
    brucie, Jan 15, 2004
  7. Hardeep Rakhra

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <bu698v$dkn5c$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > > <q>
    > > He's got the works, gives you sweet taste
    > > Then you gotta split because you got no time to waste
    > > I'm feeling good, feeling so fine
    > > Until tomorrow, but that's just some other time
    > > </q> Lou Reed

    > <q>
    > And I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad
    > The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had
    > </q> gary jules

    Shooby dooby doo
    Frank

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Jan 15, 2004
  8. brucie wrote:

    > gee, my server side method works without a problem and it will always
    > work for everyone.

    From the user stand point. But what if the devloper has no access to a
    server side language? Or hasn;t been informed enough at this stage to
    know if the end product will reside on a server with said functionality.

    I'd love to go the PHP way, it'd help me templete things nicely and do
    all sorts of things to make my life easier, but for now it's outta the
    question.

    If JS works, i.e. behaves for the majority of the audience then hey, it
    works.

    Hardeep.
    Hardeep Rakhra, Jan 15, 2004
  9. Hardeep Rakhra

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:bu6bp1$e3v9b$-berlin.de>
    Hardeep Rakhra <> said:

    >> gee, my server side method works without a problem and it will always
    >> work for everyone.

    > From the user stand point.

    of course from the users stand point. they want a site to work when they
    visit it, they don't give a shit about what the developer wants or
    thinks.

    > But what if the devloper has no access to a server side language?

    then the developer needs to move to a server that supports server side
    goodies. what kind of developer hasn't got server goodies anyway. their
    client base would be miniscule if they couldn't do server side stuff.

    > Or hasn;t been informed enough at this stage to know if the end
    > product will reside on a server with said functionality.

    you cant start a project without that knowledge and if server side
    goodies is the best method but the server hasn't got the support then
    you have to educate the clients why it would be a good idea to get it.

    if they decline you make note of it in the contract to cover your arse
    so when they want feedback forms, db content etc etc a few months down
    the track you cant tell them they're idiots.

    > I'd love to go the PHP way,

    then do so

    > it'd help me templete things nicely and do all sorts of things to
    > make my life easier, but for now it's outta the question.

    why?

    --
    brucie - i usenet nude
    brucie, Jan 15, 2004
  10. Hardeep Rakhra wrote:
    > brucie wrote:
    >
    >> gee, my server side method works without a problem and it will always
    >> work for everyone.

    > From the user stand point.

    Anything else is relevant?

    > But what if the devloper has no access
    > to a server side language?

    Then it isn't doable.

    > Or hasn;t been informed enough at this
    > stage to know if the end product will reside on a server with said
    > functionality.

    Then walk away until the client either gets their act together or tasks you
    with the responsibility. Life is too short to apply infrastructure
    guesswork to professional solutions.

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Jan 15, 2004
  11. Hardeep Rakhra

    Spartanicus Guest

    brucie <> wrote:

    >> http://www.alistapart.com/articles/alternate/

    >i can only describe the author as a brain dead moron for encouraging the
    >use of such a broken method. even cookies FFS.

    If server side is not an option then using js and cookies is fine for
    this job (alternate ss switching = non essential fluff).

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Jan 15, 2004
  12. On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 23:56:04 +1000, brucie wrote:

    > i can only describe the author as a brain dead moron for encouraging the
    > use of such a broken method. even cookies FFS.

    Here may be the reason why (quote from "about the author",
    http://www.alistapart.com/authors/paulsowden/):

    "Paul Sowden is a teenager from London, England. He believes the web would
    be a better place if everyone used standards compliant design techniques."

    Note the important part, "is a teenager".

    I'm ready...

    --
    Jeffrey D. Silverman | jeffrey AT jhu DOT edu
    Website | http://www.wse.jhu.edu/newtnotes/
    Jeffrey Silverman, Jan 16, 2004