All style tags after the first 30 style tags on an HTML page are not applied in Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Rob Nicholson, May 26, 2005.

  1. This is a question about the following KB article:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q262161

    We've got a problem with the Infragistics NetAdvantage presentation controls
    which they've suggested it related to this KB article.

    But I'm not sure this is correct but I'd like to just confirm what this KB
    article actually means. My understanding of this is that a single page can't
    have more than 30 style sheets defined. It doesn't matter whether these are
    defined as <STYLE> tags in the <HEAD> section or via a linked cascading
    style sheet. Do I read this right?

    It doesn't meant that a page can't have more than 30 style classes within
    these styles sheets neither does it mean that a page can't have more than 30
    inline style tags within other elements. Correct?

    30 style sheets per page seems very reasonable to me :) Jeez, more than one
    would be a interesting situation!

    Thanks, Rob

    Rob Nicholson, May 26, 2005

  2. Re: All style tags after the first 30 style tags on an HTML pageare not applied in Internet Explorer

    Rob Nicholson wrote:
    > This is a question about the following KB article:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q262161
    >
    > We've got a problem with the Infragistics NetAdvantage presentation controls
    > which they've suggested it related to this KB article.
    >
    > But I'm not sure this is correct but I'd like to just confirm what this KB
    > article actually means. My understanding of this is that a single page can't
    > have more than 30 style sheets defined. It doesn't matter whether these are
    > defined as <STYLE> tags in the <HEAD> section or via a linked cascading
    > style sheet. Do I read this right?
    >
    > It doesn't meant that a page can't have more than 30 style classes within
    > these styles sheets neither does it mean that a page can't have more than 30
    > inline style tags within other elements. Correct?
    >
    > 30 style sheets per page seems very reasonable to me :) Jeez, more than one
    > would be a interesting situation!
    >
    > Thanks, Rob

    Ha, ha, ha! Of course you can have more than 30 classes. I've easily
    had that and more on many apps. Yes, it means 30 files...and as long as
    you're not adding them like the sample code there does (which I've never
    done in my life), or actually have 30 style tags, you shouldn't see an
    error, just the 31st and more styles not being applied....

    Ironically I'm sure there are plenty of Infra products that have way
    more than 30 classes....

    --
    Craig Deelsnyder
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET

    Craig Deelsnyder, May 26, 2005

  3. > Ironically I'm sure there are plenty of Infra products that have way
    > more than 30 classes....

    I'm sure you're right. The KB article confuses matters with the title of the
    article. If it said "All style sheets after the first 30..." then it would
    be a lot clearer.

    I've asked Infragistics whether their code adds style sheets behind the
    scenes.

    Cheers, Rob.

    Rob Nicholson, May 26, 2005
  4. > Ironically I'm sure there are plenty of Infra products that have way
    > more than 30 classes....

    Unfortunately, I've dissected the HTML generated by their WebCombo control
    and, unfortunately, it generates an <style>...</style> section PER control.
    This means AFAIK that you are limited to 30 of their controls per web page.
    Which is too little for one of our more complex pages.

    I'm hoping they will resolve this - maybe put all of their classes in one on

    Cheers, Rob.

    Rob Nicholson, May 28, 2005