Alternate source for preparing for java exam 310-035

Discussion in 'Java' started by lonelyplanet999, Nov 10, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    Now I use the book "Sun Certified Programmer & Developer for Java 2
    Study Guide (Exam 310-035 & 310-027)" written by Kathy Sierra, Bert
    Bates as one of the main source for my preparation of the java
    programmer exam. From Amazon's customer comment. I found one of the
    comment as below:

    This book is a good effort where the information is presented in a
    simplistic and lucid way. However I would like to point out the areas
    where this book is lacking:
    1)Assertion Mechanism:- Doesnt cover the different kinds of invariants
    and pre / post conditions. Simply having a DO
    & DONT section in not enough

    2)Poor treatment of inner classes and the chapter on collections is
    very hapazardly presented.

    3)Inadequate treatment of threads, doesnt cover a few extra methods
    like setDaemon, interrupt etc and questions in the book are way too
    easy

    4)Also there is absolutely no coverage of type-casting for classes and
    interfaces although an earlier chapter asks the reader to refer
    chapter 5 for that.

    I agreed with the commenter on 1), 2) about collections & 4). For
    others, I haven't started study on those parts so no comment. The
    commenter suggested "purchase SUN's practice tests" but since I have
    more exam want to attend so I'd like to control my budget. Does anyone
    know any free web sites discussing above in the same depth as real
    exam ?

    I also have a book named "Java 2 Certification All-in-One Exam Guide
    Third Edition" by William Stanek but this is for 310-025 exam so I
    used it as supplementary study guide only.

    Besides, I've installed the CD came with Kathy's book but as I ran it
    on my windows 98 notebook, my OS complained 'JAVAW caused an invalid
    page fault in module JVM.DLL at 0167:504cdce1.' (I installed JSDK
    1.4.1_01 in this notebook). Without the electronic CD, what really did
    I missing ?

    Tks

    _________
    | ^ ^ "|
    | o |
    | ~~~~~ |

    lonelyplanet999, Nov 10, 2003

  2. lonelyplanet999

    nos Guest

    Hi,
    I just finished reading the whole book (just the 035 part)
    and I have to remark that the book is not intended to teach
    you everything. They state over and over again that they are
    only going to cover what is going to be on the test and that
    you are supposed to know Java already before you start
    the book. Given these requirements I think it is a good book.
    One of the authors worked on the 035 test and should be
    familiar with what the test is supposed to cover. In fact they
    tell you the SUN statement of what each part of the
    test is trying to cover.

    "lonelyplanet999" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Now I use the book "Sun Certified Programmer & Developer for Java 2
    > Study Guide (Exam 310-035 & 310-027)" written by Kathy Sierra, Bert
    > Bates as one of the main source for my preparation of the java
    > programmer exam. From Amazon's customer comment. I found one of the
    > comment as below:

    ==

    nos, Nov 10, 2003

  3. "nos" <> wrote in message news:<mAQrb.120215$ao4.372997@attbi_s51>...
    > Hi,
    > I just finished reading the whole book (just the 035 part)
    > and I have to remark that the book is not intended to teach
    > you everything. They state over and over again that they are
    > only going to cover what is going to be on the test and that
    > you are supposed to know Java already before you start
    > the book. Given these requirements I think it is a good book.

    I understand that. But I'm afraid if the content is sufficient for the
    exam given below comments from others who have reading the book to
    prepare for exam. If that guys' comments are correct & objective,
    there's something not discuss to the right depth even for the exam. I
    just want to clarify from people who have used this book as study
    guide and really taken the exam to comment if the stuff included is of
    sufficient depth.

    :)

    lonelyplanet999, Nov 11, 2003