    it might not seem so attractive.
    -not ready for 64bitly yrs-
    Robin Becker

    Robin Becker, Aug 18, 2006

  2. Robin Becker

    Paul McGuire Guest

    "Robin Becker" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Does anyone know if it's possible to run python as a 32 bit app on

    AMD64's? One
    > of our host providers AMD Athlon 64 3000+ and we are currently using a

    celeron
    > which is real slow. The problem is that this machine would be a backup for
    > another which is 32 pentium 4.
    >
    > If I have to recompile/debug all the extensions etc etc for another

    architecture
    > it might not seem so attractive.
    > -not ready for 64bitly yrs-
    > Robin Becker

    Running just fine on my AMD64 processor on this machine...

    I'm pretty sure AMD worked pretty hard for their AMD64's to run 32-bit
    apps - by contrast with Intel's previous 64-bit offerings which would not.
    But in this mode, you don't get 64-bits of "roominess", it looks just like a
    32-bit CPU.

    -- Paul

    Paul McGuire, Aug 18, 2006

  3. Robin Becker

    Guest

    Robin Becker wrote:
    > Does anyone know if it's possible to run python as a 32 bit app on AMD64's? One
    > of our host providers AMD Athlon 64 3000+ and we are currently using a celeron
    > which is real slow. The problem is that this machine would be a backup for
    > another which is 32 pentium 4.
    >
    > If I have to recompile/debug all the extensions etc etc for another architecture
    > it might not seem so attractive.
    > -not ready for 64bitly yrs-
    > Robin Becker

    Most 64 bit processors can run 32 bit apps natively, so the short
    answer would be yes.

    , Aug 18, 2006
  4. Robin Becker

    Guest

    if the install is 64 bit, you will hit trouble
    i used the guide here http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/356
    on my 64 bit debian system to get 32bit apps available
    if they have a particular distro install, usually the package
    management tools for it can add most python modules you will need

    hope that helps, add more details if you want more help

    tom

    > Robin Becker wrote:
    > > Does anyone know if it's possible to run python as a 32 bit app on AMD64's? One
    > > of our host providers AMD Athlon 64 3000+ and we are currently using a celeron
    > > which is real slow. The problem is that this machine would be a backup for
    > > another which is 32 pentium 4.
    > >
    > > If I have to recompile/debug all the extensions etc etc for another architecture
    > > it might not seem so attractive.
    > > -not ready for 64bitly yrs-
    > > Robin Becker

    > Most 64 bit processors can run 32 bit apps natively, so the short
    > answer would be yes.

    , Aug 18, 2006