An addition to C++ FAQs

arnuld

Hello,

I searched the C++ FAQs but did not find any question related to finding
on-line reference to C++ Std. Library. Searching the archives of this
group told me of these links:

http://www.dinkumware.com/manuals/default.aspx
http://www.cppreference.com/wiki/
http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cscc687y.aspx

I am wondering which ones are genuine links recommended unanimously by you
people. I am sure about only about Dinkumware. Whatever you agree with, I
think it will be a good idea to add this to FAQ:

Q: Where I can find some on-line C++ reference ?

A: Well, its best to have the hard-copy lying by your side, at least
these 2:

The C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference - Nicolai M. Josuttis
The C++ Programming Language: - Bjarne Stroustrup

Other than that these on-line places are recommended by comp.lang.c++
folks: -- links here --

red floyd

arnuld said:
Hello,

I searched the C++ FAQs but did not find any question related to finding
on-line reference to C++ Std. Library. Searching the archives of this
group told me of these links:

http://www.dinkumware.com/manuals/default.aspx
http://www.cppreference.com/wiki/
http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cscc687y.aspx

I'd go with Dinkumware, just my preference. I'd stay away from MS, they
often have extensions which are not documented as such.

Haven't really used cppreference or cplusplus.com, so I can't comment on
them.

Joe Smith

arnuld said:
Hello,

I searched the C++ FAQs but did not find any question related to finding
on-line reference to C++ Std. Library. Searching the archives of this
group told me of these links:

http://www.dinkumware.com/manuals/default.aspx

Dinkumware's library reference is of corurse an excellent refererence

A quick look over this reference shows it to be of reasonable quality, but
in a few places it appears to use non-standard terminology, such as
"preprocessor command" instead of "preprocessor directive"

Be cautious with this reference. In a few places it implies things work that
are really UB.
Microsoft's programming documentation is one of its best products.
The largest flaw with using the documentation for general purpose
programming is that not all pages clearly differentiate between what the
standards mandate and the extentions Microsoft's implementations provide.
Some of Microsoft's documentation pages clearly seperate these, but not all.
I am wondering which ones are genuine links recommended unanimously by you
people. I am sure about only about Dinkumware. Whatever you agree with, I
think it will be a good idea to add this to FAQ:

Q: Where I can find some on-line C++ reference ?

A: Well, its best to have the hard-copy lying by your side, at least
these 2:

The C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference - Nicolai M.
Josuttis
The C++ Programming Language: - Bjarne Stroustrup

ISO/IEC 14882:2003(E): Programming languages -- C++
(Not for everybody, but it is the cannonical reference for C++, and the
library chapters
serve as an excellent reference to the C++ Standard Library (although a bit
sparse on examples))

Marcel Müller

Hi!
I searched the C++ FAQs but did not find any question related to finding
on-line reference to C++ Std. Library. Searching the archives of this
group told me of these links:

http://www.dinkumware.com/manuals/default.aspx
http://www.cppreference.com/wiki/
http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cscc687y.aspx

I would like to add

http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl

The have a good overview about the ideas behind the container classes.
But a few things are sgi extensions, like std::rope. Although an
interesting class.

Marcel

Noah Roberts

arnuld said:
Q: Where I can find some on-line C++ reference ?

A: Well, its best to have the hard-copy lying by your side, at least
these 2:

The C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference - Nicolai M. Josuttis
The C++ Programming Language: - Bjarne Stroustrup

I have both of these books and have only ever referenced the former.
The other one sits on my shelf, never having been needed.

arnuld

I have both of these books and have only ever referenced the former.
The other one sits on my shelf, never having been needed.

and I thought I was the only one with that experience ;)

Actually, I have used it 2 times only since last month. In fact, I
use to read "C: A Reference Manual by H&S" much more than Stroustrup.

Matthias Buelow

Joe said:
Dinkumware's library reference is of corurse an excellent refererence

"Compleat"...

I hope the content is better than their (obviously blind) website author...

osmium

Matthias Buelow said:
"Compleat"...

I hope the content is better than their (obviously blind) website
author...

Perhaps you are not familiar with the language used by the author?

Along the same line, you may note that huge chunks of C++ sometimes look
like C.

Dinkumware is the best reference site for this kind of thing that I know of.

Matthias Buelow

osmium said:
Perhaps you are not familiar with the language used by the author?

Apparently not.

.... will check more than one dictionary next time...

Greg Herlihy

"Compleat"...

I hope the content is better than their (obviously blind) website author....

I wouldn't wager on the author being blind, but I would be inclined to
bet that whoever wrote "Compleat" - is a Beatles' fan.

Greg