An AJAX question

JC

I have a form with a few UpdatePanels and each has an associated
UpdatePanelAnimationExtender which causes fade-in and fade-out. In addition
2 of the animations disable the 2 buttons which trigger them in the Updating
event and then enable them again in the Updated event. I was surprised to
see that all the animations occur when any AJAX postback occurs. All the
UpdatePanelAnimationExtenders have their UpdatePanel ID as their
TargetControlID.

Is this as designed or is something wrong with the page?

Guest

I also have this problem. Whenever a control in an UpdatePanel triggers a
post-back, then all of the UpdatePanels are triggering a post-back. Can this
behaviour be changed? It seems to defeat the purpose of AJAX in the first
place if I end up refreshing the whole page.

Guest

More.

On the Ajax website I've found this

Review

This tutorial introduced the concept of using multiple UpdatePanel controls
on a page. When UpdatePanel controls are not nested you can update each panel
independently by setting the UpdateMode property to Conditional. (The default
value of the UpdateMode property is Always. This causes the panel to refresh

I've not found this to be true. I have two UpdatePanels (with different
IDs), each set to Conditional. Still, when a child triggers an update in
UpdatePanel1, UpdatePanel2 also posts back.

Can anyone else confirm this behaviour?

Thanks

JC

This issue is even more complex. According to the documentation, setting
UpdateMode to Conditional may mean that the Updated event doesn't fire if
the UpdatePanel content doesn't change. This could mean that disabled
buttons won't be enabled.

From what I understand, the browser sends the whole page to the server, but
the server only returns the data for the UpdatePanel which was triggered. I
can see the evidence of this if I set a value for a control not in the
UpdatePanel, that value is not sent to the browser. Events from triggers
other than the trigger of interest are not fired.