    I found that if I keep using Eclipse everyday, this kind of problem does not happen at all.

    Can you help me understand why and is there any way to avoid the problem?

    Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate your help.

    zyng, Jun 15, 2012

  2. zyng

    Genestro Guest

    Re: an Eclipse question: it hangs for a long time if has not beenused recently

    All the Java IDEs seem to suffer from a related problem: if one is left
    open and idle for a while, it freezes and gets reported by the OS as
    "not responding" for a significant time (usually several full minutes)
    if you then switch to it and try to start using it again.

    Eclipse and Netbeans, in particular, are both guilty of this behavior.
    Even the "lightweight" Clojure IDE clooj does it (worse, it sometimes
    *crashes* if it was minimized -- it will grind for a while not
    responding, and then instead of becoming responsive it may instead just
    disappear without so much as a word of explanation. If you look in the
    jar's directory, however, there'll be a file there with a name like
    hs_err_pid7004.log saying something like

    #
    #
    # EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x6d0b6b30, pid=7004,
    tid=7040
    #
    # JRE version: 6.0_24-b07
    # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (19.1-b02 mixed mode, sharing
    windows-x86 )
    # Problematic frame:
    # C [awt.dll+0xb6b30]
    #
    # http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
    # The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
    # See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
    #

    --------------- T H R E A D ---------------

    [_thread_in_native, id=7040, stack(0x05750000,0x057a0000)]

    and then a bunch of miscellaneous junk. The details will vary depending
    on JVM version and operating system, but it seems to be a bug in AWT
    provoked by deminimizing a Frame.

    To my knowledge, Eclipse and Netbeans don't share this problem, but do
    share the hang-on-suddenly-being-focused-after-having-been-idle bug. The
    clooj crashes also never occur if it was not minimized but just left
    idle, though the hang still occurs. If it was minimized, the hang may be
    followed by the crash or by the application becoming responsive again,
    seemingly at random.

    All of the hangs show a low level of CPU use and a low level of I/O use
    in ps/tops/etc. type tools (or ProcessExplorer, on Windows). So it's not
    a busy-loop or heavy I/O making it unresponsive; instead the profile of
    CPU/IO use is more like what you'd expect if the EDT was blocked on a
    monitor waiting for a lock to be released somewhere. Possibly another
    AWT bug, then -- in which case it may be endemic to any GUI app coded in
    Java.

    Since Swing apps (clooj, NetBeans) and SWT apps (Eclipse) both exhibit
    the problem, the problem is likely to exist at the AWT level (or lower)
    rather than in either Swing or SWT.

    The OP's problem sounds like it could be yet another variation on the
    theme, but this time with high CPU use. I'd suspect possibly a
    misbehaving plugin since it doesn't happen to all Eclipse users.

    Genestro, Jun 15, 2012

  3. zyng

    markspace Guest

    On 6/15/2012 2:08 PM, Genestro wrote:
    > All the Java IDEs seem to suffer from a related problem: if one is left
    > open and idle for a while, it freezes ....
    >
    > Eclipse and Netbeans, in particular, are both guilty of this behavior.

    I use NetBeans and I haven't seen this behavior. Maybe we have
    different definitions of "a long time" (mine is "eight hours or more")
    but perhaps also it is something local to your installation.

    markspace, Jun 15, 2012
  4. zyng

    Eric Sosman Guest

    On 6/15/2012 5:08 PM, Genestro wrote:
    > All the Java IDEs seem to suffer from a related problem: if one is left
    > open and idle for a while, it freezes and gets reported by the OS as
    > "not responding" for a significant time (usually several full minutes)
    > if you then switch to it and try to start using it again.
    >
    > Eclipse and Netbeans, in particular, are both guilty of this behavior.
    > [...]

    Strange. I've used NetBeans since the 3.x days (that is, since
    before it was usable) and am now using 6.8 (I dislike 7.x), and have
    never seen what you report, nor anything like it. I've also used
    Eclipse some (although only on Linux, and not nearly as much), and
    have not observed anything along those lines. I imagine there must
    be something rather different in our environments, but I don't have
    any idea what it could be.

    The O.P.'s report sounds a bit different from yours, though: He
    mentions delays when firing up Eclipse the first time after not using
    it for "one or two weeks," and doesn't say anything about letting it
    sit open but idle, or about switching tasks. The "one or two weeks"
    aspect made me wonder about auto-update or auto-patch activities, or
    maybe about auto-resync with a version management system that's been
    absorbing a lot of changes while he was away (so maybe there's a lot
    of metadata to catch up on). But I'm dubious about that hypothesis,
    since it doesn't square well with his report of high CPU activity --
    fetching a lot of updates or metadata might take half an hour over a
    slow network, but shouldn't peg the CPU ...

    "Is a puzzlement!"

    --
    Eric Sosman

    Eric Sosman, Jun 15, 2012
  5. zyng

    zyng Guest

    Re: an Eclipse question: it hangs for a long time if has not beenused recently

    Thank you all for your replies. I realized that this problem is most likely due to Subclipse so I posted it in Subversion usergroup. Somebody replied and suggested me to use new version Subclipse, saying it solves a problem which I described.

    It is hard for me to test if the problem has been solved since it needs me not using Eclipse for one or two weeks. So I assume this is the answer to the problem.

    Thank you again for all your help. I did see a file hs_err_pid7004.log sitting in my home directory and I was always wondering where this file came from and what for. Now, I have a better understanding of it.

    zyng, Jun 18, 2012
  6. zyng

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Re: an Eclipse question: it hangs for a long time if has not beenused recently

    On 6/15/2012 5:08 PM, Genestro wrote:
    > All the Java IDEs seem to suffer from a related problem: if one is left
    > open and idle for a while, it freezes and gets reported by the OS as
    > "not responding" for a significant time (usually several full minutes)
    > if you then switch to it and try to start using it again.
    >
    > Eclipse and Netbeans, in particular, are both guilty of this behavior.

    I have never seen it.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Jun 21, 2012