    keyword stuff but does the absence of content mean that I should exclude
    it from indexing robot type things? I believe it can be done.

    Tim w

    Tim W, Jun 14, 2012

  2. 2012-06-14 23:30, Tim W wrote:

    > I am building a site with a decorative 'entry' page which is index.htm .
    > Meaning there is a first page with virtually no content at all, just a
    > welcoming image which you can click to take you through to the first
    > page of content and navigation.

    Splash pages will hardly do any good. Users will lose interest fast.

    > The Entry page can have a title and meta
    > keyword stuff but does the absence of content mean that I should exclude
    > it from indexing robot type things? I believe it can be done.

    You can exclude it, and that way you would vote against yourself. Links
    pointing to your site would point to a page that tells search engines
    not to index it. What will they think about that?

    You could use <meta name=robots content="noindex, follow">, suggesting
    that the page content be ignored by search engines, except for links,
    which should be followed. But I would not be sure at all that it works.

    Search engines generally go past splash pages if they have real links
    (as opposite to e.g. link-like constructs powered by JavaScript). So you
    don't really need to do anything special. But omitting the splashing
    would improve the situation.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jun 14, 2012

  3. Tim W

    Tim W Guest

    On 14/06/2012 21:54, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > 2012-06-14 23:30, Tim W wrote:
    >
    >> I am building a site with a decorative 'entry' page which is index.htm .
    >> Meaning there is a first page with virtually no content at all, just a
    >> welcoming image which you can click to take you through to the first
    >> page of content and navigation.

    > Splash pages will hardly do any good. Users will lose interest fast.
    >
    >> The Entry page can have a title and meta
    >> keyword stuff but does the absence of content mean that I should exclude
    >> it from indexing robot type things? I believe it can be done.

    > You can exclude it, and that way you would vote against yourself.
    > Links pointing to your site would point to a page that tells search
    > engines not to index it. What will they think about that?
    >
    > You could use <meta name=robots content="noindex, follow">, suggesting
    > that the page content be ignored by search engines, except for links,
    > which should be followed. But I would not be sure at all that it works.
    >
    > Search engines generally go past splash pages if they have real links
    > (as opposite to e.g. link-like constructs powered by JavaScript). So
    > you don't really need to do anything special. But omitting the
    > splashing would improve the situation.

    Okay, thanks, I understand better.

    Splash Pages: SEO is just not the main priority for a lot of sites, and
    this is one of them. I may as well get it right if I can but the site is
    absolutely not designed around attracting hits from casual visitors via
    google. It is more important here to convey the right impression to a
    small number of serious enquiries.

    tim W

    Tim W, Jun 15, 2012