    Maybe something like a quick self documentor. I don't want it to
    address the programmers own classes just the Sun Libraries it uses.

    Thankyou
    nileppez, Aug 16, 2003

  2. nileppez wrote:

    > I want something that will very quickly give me a list of the java
    > facilities a piece of source code I get from anywhere contains.
    >
    > Really this is so I can see instantly what it is using in terms of
    > java technologies (ok what graphics classes for instance).

    There is nothing in a class reference that identifies it as a sun
    provided one. There is nothing in a .class file that identifies it as a
    suin provider either.

    You can study the .class files inspecting the constant pool looking for
    class references. Once you have that list, you'll have to figure out how
    to tell a sun class from any other class. Package names should probably
    get it at least 95% right. This will leave out dynamicaly loaded
    classes, classes whose names are coded as string constants or read from
    config files or from network partners.

    Reading the constant pool isn't very difficult, building the list of sun
    provided packages might be a little more difficult especially since that
    list is added to constantly. Some heuristics will help. If the package
    starts with 'java', 'javax', 'sun', or 'com.sun', it's probably a sun
    provided class (are there exceptions?).
    David Zimmerman, Aug 17, 2003

  3. Try CodeBeamer at http://www.intland.com .
    Zsolt