analyze file system in c++

David.Cristian1987

Hello

I am about to start a project and I want to check out some things to
see if it's do-able ...
I have to make a program that can recover some files that were
deleted.
I've downloaded the Undo Delete software ... and I saw in the help
file something like this :

"
When the programs and applications would request for a particular file
(after it has been deleted), they would get an error that the file was
not found, while the file is still present on the disk ‘physically’.
"

I have to do this for FAT32 and NTFS. I have some theoretical
knowledge about this, but I haven't implemented nothing in this area.
I have some knowledge in c++ (I had a summer job and I gained some
experience).
So I am asking you :

1.What libraries should I use to get information about the file
system. Let's say that I have a FAT32 drive and I want to list all the
files in the drive using the lowest library (I dont want an answer
like :" system("dir");" or something like that)

2.How can I inspect the the disk "physically", as it is made in the
undo delete software.

Of course, using the C++ language.
I hope I will get some answers, even if I wasn't clear in all I have
said.

Thanks,
David.

Ian Collins

David.Cristian1987 said:
Hello

I am about to start a project and I want to check out some things to
see if it's do-able ...
I have to make a program that can recover some files that were
deleted.

Stop right there, anything to do with file recovery is filesystem
dependent, some don't support it. You'll have to ask on a group for
your OS.

David.Cristian1987

Stop right there, anything to do with file recovery is filesystem
dependent, some don't support it.  You'll have to ask on a group for
your OS.

I am only interested on Windows OS(FAT32)

David.

Salt_Peter

I am only interested on Windows OS(FAT32)

Anything you need about Windows (or any other specific platform)
doesn't belong here. Like most users of this forum, i'm not interested
in discussing something that is platform specific since C++ is
platform-oblivious. Not to mention that i don't run Windows nor would
i.
Besides, do you not think that you'll get better help in an MS
newsgroup?

[5.9] Which newsgroup should I post my questions?
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.9

David.Cristian1987

I am only interested on Windows OS(FAT32)

Anything you need about Windows (or any other specific platform)
doesn't belong here. Like most users of this forum, i'm not interested
in discussing something that is platform specific since C++ is
platform-oblivious. Not to mention that i don't run Windows nor would
i.
Besides, do you not think that you'll get better help in an MS
newsgroup?

[5.9] Which newsgroup should I post my questions?http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.9

I understand. I am very sorry.
I thought I would find here some programmers that had this problem on
this c++ forum, rather then one OS specific ...
I will try there. Thanks!

Again very sorry,
David.

Juha Nieminen

David.Cristian1987 said:
I have to make a program that can recover some files that were
deleted.

Rather than using existing programs which do that? Why?