    3. does the use of custom errors such as invalid directory (404) etc have a
    miminal impact on server resources or it is significant

    4. ... and are there any easy ways to monitor/measure/compare ?

    rvj, Aug 10, 2008

  2. "rvj" <> wrote in message
    news:%23p05aRt%...
    > 3. does the use of custom errors such as invalid directory (404) etc have

    > miminal impact on server resources or it is significant

    Thats not easy to answer because

    1. The question isn't that clear (when a 404 happens the server has to do
    something anyway)
    2. In normal circumstances errors would be rare hence performance impact
    would not be a consideration

    > 4. ... and are there any easy ways to monitor/measure/compare ?

    Don't know of 'easy' ways, although your definition of 'easy' may differ
    from mine.

    Putting it all together you are considering sending images using a Custom
    404 hack. Its much more expensive than allowing IIS to serve up the images
    itself.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Aug 10, 2008

  3. rvj

    rvj Guest

    I was thinking in terms of having virtually having no directory structure
    to speak of so virtually all requests would be via custom redirection to a
    database or some other routing technology

    rvj, Aug 10, 2008
  4. "rvj" <> wrote in message

    > I was thinking in terms of having virtually having no directory structure
    > to speak of so virtually all requests would be via custom redirection to

    > database or some other routing technology

    Funny that I've just this minute been discussing that in the iis group (see
    subject ' custom 404 page headers problem' started by 'Simon')

    Also in this group 'Detecting if modified since in Classic Asp' started by
    'Simon'

    However I don't need either of these threads to say: Don't do it, its just
    plain mad.

    At least not in this way (using the 404 hack).

    Instead get yourself a freebie ISAPI URL rewriter and do it that way.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Aug 10, 2008
  5. rvj