And now for my next trick!

Richard

Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!

Just for kicks. I'll be adding on a little time script.
So that every hour a different image appears.
A bit much mayvbe, but what the hey, I do say it is an experimental gallery.
I'll have it online tomorrow sometime.

Hywel Jenkins

Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!

Will it be your arse rabbit?

Just for kicks. I'll be adding on a little time script.
Ooh.

So that every hour a different image appears.
A bit much mayvbe, but what the hey, I do say it is an experimental gallery.

Is it experimental in that you're using other people's code?

I'll have it online tomorrow sometime.

Yeah, yeah. Yawn.

Richard

Hywel Jenkins said:
Will it be your arse rabbit?

AHHHHHHH!

gallery.

Is it experimental in that you're using other people's code?

If you'll kindly note the latest version, I do give credit to Michael
Falatine who wrote the menu script.
And I also gave dynamicdrive.com a plug for their script as well.
Unlike a zillion other websites who refuse to make such credits.

Other people's codes?
Bullshit.
I just saw a simple time retrieval code that some idiot is trying to claim
as his work.
Bullshit.
That kind of scripting is easily developed by anyone and no one person can
lay claim to it.

For instance, you can't claim a copyright on:
var x=a+b.
That's simple math which is not copyrightable.

Anyone has the authority to write their own scripting and use it for their
own purpose.
Even sell if it if they wish.
With a little more knowledge of javascript, I can write my own collapsing
menu which looks and feels just like that one on my site, and there is not a
damn thing any one can do about it.
You want to talk about script stealing and that?
Then ask Microsoft how they obtained Internet Explorer.
By theft.
Just as Tandy Corp. literally stole an original {BASIC} script of mine.
How do I know this for a fact? They didn't even bother changing the
variables or method I used. The only difference was one simple line of code
they included.

Yeah I'll contend some things are copyrightable, but unless you can prove
infringement it ain't gonna matter.

Oli Filth

Richard said:
Other people's codes?
Bullshit.
I just saw a simple time retrieval code that some idiot is trying to claim
as his work.
Bullshit.
That kind of scripting is easily developed by anyone

except you, clearly.
Just as Tandy Corp. literally stole an original {BASIC} script of mine.
How do I know this for a fact? They didn't even bother changing the
variables or method I used. The only difference was one simple line of code
they included.

Shit, you'd better file a lawsuit. It'd make headlines, a multinational
electronics retailer are clearly charlatans if they need to steal code
off an incompetent monkeyboy like you.

Hywel Jenkins

If you'll kindly note the latest version, I do give credit to Michael
Falatine who wrote the menu script.
And I also gave dynamicdrive.com a plug for their script as well.

I bet they're chuffed.

I just saw a simple time retrieval code that some idiot is trying to claim
as his work.
Bullshit.
That kind of scripting is easily developed by anyone and no one person can
lay claim to it.

Except you. Can you write your name yet?

For instance, you can't claim a copyright on:
var x=a+b.

Actually, I could.

That's simple math which is not copyrightable.

Is it? What's "var" in maths?

With a little more knowledge of javascript, I can write my own collapsing
menu which looks and feels just like that one on my site,

Very funny.
and there is not a damn thing any one can do about it.

Other than be sensible and avoid it like the plague.

You want to talk about script stealing and that?

Not really. No point discussing that with a clueless gimp like you.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Richard said:
For instance, you can't claim a copyright on:
var x=a+b.
That's simple math which is not copyrightable.

var e=mc²

Yup. Simple math. Not copyrightable.

Richard

Duende said:
While sitting in a puddle Richard scribbled in the mud:

How did they get it?

I was working on the program at a radio shack store when a salesman came in.
He must have seen the program running on the machine and took it.
As I said, my work showed up in the next months tandy magazine with but only
one minor change, the rest was clearly copied verbatim.
Not that what I was doing could not have been easily duplicated by others.
All I was doing was simply relocating the solid cursor block and replacing
the old one with a space character.
When the cursor position was greater than or less than the window size, I
changed direction.

rf

Richard said:
I was working on the program at a radio shack store when a salesman came in.
He must have seen the program running on the machine and took it.

His store. His computer. His software. End of story.

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Richard scribbled in the mud:
When the cursor position was greater than or less than the window size, I
changed direction.

Interesting concept. Kinda cool really.

Leif K-Brooks

rf said:
His store. His computer. His software. End of story.

And by the same standard, the owner of the cafe in which J.K. Rowling
wrote Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone can sue for copyright
infringement. His store. His table. His napkins. End of story.

rf

Leif K-Brooks said:
And by the same standard, the owner of the cafe in which J.K. Rowling
wrote Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone can sue for copyright
infringement. His store. His table. His napkins. End of story.

Not necessarily.

It really depends why RtS was in their store using their computers.

If (&deity; forbid) he was an employee of said store then anything at all
the he produced using their computers, whilst in the employ of the store, is
copyright by the owner of the store. This is how businesses that employ
programmers work. You work in my store, you produce some software in my
store using my equipment, I own the copyright to that software.

On the other hand if RtS was not in the employ of the store then why was he
using their computer? If he had rented the use of the computer then yes, any
work he produced would be owned by him. IIRC though tandy don't rent their
storefront computers out to passersby.

If he did not rent the use of the computer then why was he using it? If he
just wandered by and started programming their computer then they would be
quite within their rights to eject him and to confiscate any work he might
have done. The fact that said work was fit to publish in (my &deity) a tandy
newsletter is immaterial. The work was done on equipment without the concent
of the owners of said equipment. All copyright matters are forfiet under,
probably, a civil matter of misuse of somebodys equipment.

I know something of these things. I have produced my own software (after
hours) whilst in the employ of somebody else, using their equipment. To
cover everybodys arse I had my distributor enter into an agreement with the
somebody else wherein they recieved, free of charge, unlimited copies of the
software for their own use. We signed an agreement on this. In effect I was
"renting" their equipment. Everybody was happy. I made quite a lot of money
out of that program.

It is nothing at all like sitting at a table in a cafe writing on a napkin.
When you buy a coffee you get a napkin with it. You effectively own the
napkin. If Ms Rowling were to sneak into the office and furiously type on
the shops computer then who knows :)

Then again IANAL. I contract otheres to sort out the fine details.

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Richard ([email protected]) feverishly typed...
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!

Maybe before you start running, you should try walking. In your thread
"Finally online as wanted" I replied to show that the page still does not
work without javascript but you have not replied, nor fixed your code. Why
do you insist on excluding users without javascript available, despite
having been shown suitable solutions to this? Why don't you fix that and
make your page functional before adding fairly useless "time scripts"?

Cheers,
Nige