HTML5 in Firefox and other browsers

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Maurice Helwig, Aug 24, 2012.

  1. Below is the post and replies I put up on a HTML newsgroup.
    I hope it is of use to you.

    I also found this website which could be useful

    http://html5video.org/

    Original post

    I want to view streaming MP4 videos in Firefox browser from a website
    set up by a friend.

    Is there a way of doing this -- like a plugin for firefox ???

    Maurice Helwig

    Since you mention html5 in the subject, I think you will have to
    provide a url for the page and hope the page does not use php server
    side script which can not be viewed on your client computer. If the
    page uses the new html5 code for video, a html5 capable browser, of
    which recent Firefox browsers are, should work. However various html5
    capable browsers have different built in house players, and surprise,
    surprise, browser providers can not agree on a single type of video
    format to support in their house browser. Thus to support video in
    html5 with a house browser, one must provide the video in at least 3
    formats, and then the html5 video code can be fairly easily set up to
    select the video format needed for the html5 capable browser used. To
    stream properly on some browsers, a mp4 video must be "hinted". The
    most simple way to hint the mp4 video is to use the pay version of
    Apple's QuickTime player which will hint the mp4 and convert it to
    Apples .mov . Thus the video needs to be provided in mp4, .mov, and
    ogg formats. In that way the correct video format for house players on
    different browsers will be selected automatically.

    Another complication is that html5 capable browsers will also support
    video using conventional media players that must be installed on your
    computer. This is why seeing the source code of the page is so
    important.

    I suggest that you view the page on IE9, if available. IE9 uses a
    html5 house player that supports mp4 if of the right flavor. Next view
    the page on Firefox. If Firefox works, an ogg type video likely has
    been provided. If Firefox does not work, an ogg type of video likely
    has not been provided for the Firefox browser.

    If you can not provide the page url, I suggest you contact your friend
    and suggest that he/she provide ogg and .mov support in the html5 code
    so the page can be viewed on most html5 capable browsers (and your
    friend may become an ex-friend . If the page will not play on
    Firefox, and if there are not errors in the html5 code, I know of no
    plug-ins you can download that will help. If the html5 uses
    conventional video player code, which it can, the required player must
    of course be downloaded to the computer.

    Thanks for the reply.
    You have given me a bit to digest
    The website in question is http://promiseboxvideo.com/
    This friend of mine is setting up a website to put Video of church
    sermons on. The page is experimental at the moment. and He is using MP4
    video files only which come through on IE9 OK but not on Firefox which I
    use all the time.
    I gather that he would have to have possibly three files of different
    formats on his server to cater for most of the browsers plus the
    appropriate code in his web page. I do not think that he is prepared to
    do this at the moment, but may have to eventually.

    I will send your reply on to him

    Maurice Helwig
    Thanks for the page url. Using Firefox 14.0.1 on a Windows Vista 64-
    bit OS, I get the message:"No video with supported format and
    MIME type found". Viewing the top of the source code, you find the
    DOCTYPE for html5. Looking at the video portion of the source code you
    get:

    <video center width="780" height="570" controls="controls"
    autoplay="autoplay">
    <source src="MP4D/V0084 - Noel Braddock - Nehemiah 1-3 - St Clair
    EPCC 29-4-07 - 24m17s.mp4" type="video/mp4" /target="_blank>
    </video>

    Thus this page is html5 using a house html5 player for browsers that
    use a house html5 video format of mp4.

    Now go to my page at http://www.cwdjr.net/video7/RoscoeGreetings.php
    and click on the button for html5. The last I checked, html5 was
    working for recent versions of Firefox, IE9, Safari for Windows,
    Chrome, Opera, and Flock. The video source code used is:

    <video width = "640" height = "640" controls="controls"
    autoplay="autoplay">
    <source src = "Roscoe.ogv" type="video/ogg" />
    <source src = "RoscoeH.mov" type="video/quicktime" />
    <source src= "Roscoe.mp4" type = "video/mp4" />
    element is not supported on your browser. You must update to IE9 beta
    if using an IE browser. Only Vista and Windows7 can be updated to IE9-
    beta. If you are on a Windows XP OS, the latest versions of many other
    browsers will support the html5 video element including Firefox,
    Opera, Safari for Windows, Flock, SeaMonkey, and Chrome. Also older
    valid video code is supported in html5 in addition to &lt;video&gt;. </
    strong></p>
    </video>

    Note that IE9 beta is now replaced by the stable version IE9.

    Thus adding html5 video support for the various house players of
    different browsers does not add much complexity to the html5 code.
    However you need the video in 3 formats. Depending on media programs
    you have, it can be fairly easy to convert the mp4 video to .ogg
    and .mov .
    I would agree on three formats, but not video/quicktime.

    1. video/webm

    2. video/ogg

    3. video/mp4

    I think that webm is playable in more browsers then the other two.

    IE 9 requires codec download
    https://tools.google.com/dlpage/webmmf/

    IF I were to use only one, it would be video/webm.

    Of course you can add webm to the list and keep the other three I
    include also. This page is more than a year old, except for a few
    revisions, and that is very old for a rapidly moving target such as
    html5. When written, a mp4 would play on Safari for Windows, but only
    after complete download. If you use Apple's pay version of the QT
    player to hint the mp4 video to stream, it also converts the mp4 to
    Apple's .mov. That is the reason for including support for .mov. Apple
    in the meantime may have provided support for streaming a mp4
    directly. Still including .mov support may not be a bad idea to
    support some older browsers. IE9 is the first IE browser to include
    extensive html5 support of media using a house player, and many still
    have older IE browsers.

    > IE 9 requires codec download
    > https://tools.google.com/dlpage/webmmf/
    >
    > IF I were to use only one, it would be video/webm.

    If I could use only one, I would use flash which can be included on an
    html5 page also. Of course then the client computer must have flash
    installed. It is likely that most computers now have flash installed
    because it is required to properly view many very important major
    commercial sites. People who uninstall flash, for whatever reason,
    often re-install again soon when they find that many commercial sites
    they wish to use no longer work properly without flash. Html5 is now
    gaining more traction for media presentation using a "house" player,
    and some time in the future it may become the norm. If we look back in
    time, Real was very popular. Then Microsoft formats at one time were
    the streaming king. Then flash evolved from an ad-related crude form
    that was more simple to use than dhtml to a format that will now
    support even up to blu-ray standard HD video. I am a very poor
    prophet, so I will not even try to guess what will happen in the
    future.
    Maurice Helwig, Aug 24, 2012

  2. On 24/08/2012 1:07 PM, Maurice Helwig wrote:
> [...]

    > installed. It is likely that most computers now have flash installed
    > because it is required to properly view many very important major
    > commercial sites. People who uninstall flash, for whatever reason,
    > often re-install again soon when they find that many commercial sites
    > they wish to use no longer work properly without flash. Html5 is now
    > gaining more traction for media presentation using a "house" player,
    > and some time in the future it may become the norm. If we look back in
    > time, Real was very popular. Then Microsoft formats at one time were
    > the streaming king. Then flash evolved from an ad-related crude form
    > that was more simple to use than dhtml to a format that will now
    > support even up to blu-ray standard HD video. I am a very poor
    > prophet, so I will not even try to guess what will happen in the

    My apologies for this mistake ---
    I seem to have posted this summary instead of sending it to my friend
    for whom it was intended

    Maurice Helwig
    Maurice Helwig, Aug 24, 2012