    set up by a friend.

    Is there a way of doing this -- like a plugin for firefox ???

    Maurice Helwig

    Maurice Helwig, Aug 16, 2012

  2. Maurice Helwig

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Aug 16, 4:34 pm, Maurice Helwig <>
    wrote:
    > I want to view streaming MP4 videos in Firefox browser from a website
    > set up by a friend.
    >
    > Is there a way of doing this -- like a plugin for firefox ???

    Since you mention html5 in the subject, I think you will have to
    provide a url for the page and hope the page does not use php server
    side script which can not be viewed on your client computer. If the
    page uses the new html5 code for video, a html5 capable browser, of
    which recent Firefox browsers are, should work. However various html5
    capable browsers have different built in house players, and surprise,
    surprise, browser providers can not agree on a single type of video
    format to support in their house browser. Thus to support video in
    html5 with a house browser, one must provide the video in at least 3
    formats, and then the html5 video code can be fairly easily set up to
    select the video format needed for the html5 capable browser used. To
    stream properly on some browsers, a mp4 video must be "hinted". The
    most simple way to hint the mp4 video is to use the pay version of
    Apple's QuickTime player which will hint the mp4 and convert it to
    Apples .mov . Thus the video needs to be provided in mp4, .mov, and
    ogg formats. In that way the correct video format for house players on
    different browsers will be selected automatically.

    Another complication is that html5 capable browsers will also support
    video using conventional media players that must be installed on your
    computer. This is why seeing the source code of the page is so
    important.

    I suggest that you view the page on IE9, if available. IE9 uses a
    html5 house player that supports mp4 if of the right flavor. Next view
    the page on Firefox. If Firefox works, an ogg type video likely has
    been provided. If Firefox does not work, an ogg type of video likely
    has not been provided for the Firefox browser.

    If you can not provide the page url, I suggest you contact your friend
    and suggest that he/she provide ogg and .mov support in the html5 code
    so the page can be viewed on most html5 capable browsers (and your
    friend may become an ex-friend :). If the page will not play on
    Firefox, and if there are not errors in the html5 code, I know of no
    plug-ins you can download that will help. If the html5 uses
    conventional video player code, which it can, the required player must
    of course be downloaded to the computer.

    cwdjrxyz, Aug 18, 2012

  3. On 19/08/2012 7:56 AM, cwdjrxyz wrote:
    > On Aug 16, 4:34 pm, Maurice Helwig <>
    > wrote:
    >> I want to view streaming MP4 videos in Firefox browser from a website
    >> set up by a friend.
    >>
    >> Is there a way of doing this -- like a plugin for firefox ???

    > Since you mention html5 in the subject, I think you will have to
    > provide a url for the page and hope the page does not use php server
    > side script which can not be viewed on your client computer. If the
    > page uses the new html5 code for video, a html5 capable browser, of
    > which recent Firefox browsers are, should work. However various html5
    > capable browsers have different built in house players, and surprise,
    > surprise, browser providers can not agree on a single type of video
    > format to support in their house browser. Thus to support video in
    > html5 with a house browser, one must provide the video in at least 3
    > formats, and then the html5 video code can be fairly easily set up to
    > select the video format needed for the html5 capable browser used. To
    > stream properly on some browsers, a mp4 video must be "hinted". The
    > most simple way to hint the mp4 video is to use the pay version of
    > Apple's QuickTime player which will hint the mp4 and convert it to
    > Apples .mov . Thus the video needs to be provided in mp4, .mov, and
    > ogg formats. In that way the correct video format for house players on
    > different browsers will be selected automatically.
    >
    > Another complication is that html5 capable browsers will also support
    > video using conventional media players that must be installed on your
    > computer. This is why seeing the source code of the page is so
    > important.
    >
    > I suggest that you view the page on IE9, if available. IE9 uses a
    > html5 house player that supports mp4 if of the right flavor. Next view
    > the page on Firefox. If Firefox works, an ogg type video likely has
    > been provided. If Firefox does not work, an ogg type of video likely
    > has not been provided for the Firefox browser.
    >
    > If you can not provide the page url, I suggest you contact your friend
    > and suggest that he/she provide ogg and .mov support in the html5 code
    > so the page can be viewed on most html5 capable browsers (and your
    > friend may become an ex-friend :). If the page will not play on
    > Firefox, and if there are not errors in the html5 code, I know of no
    > plug-ins you can download that will help. If the html5 uses
    > conventional video player code, which it can, the required player must
    > of course be downloaded to the computer.

    Thanks for the reply.
    You have given me a bit to digest
    The website in question is http://promiseboxvideo.com/
    This friend of mine is setting up a website to put Video of church
    sermons on. The page is experimental at the moment. and He is using MP4
    video files only which come through on IE9 OK but not on Firefox which I
    use all the time.
    I gather that he would have to have possibly three files of different
    formats on his server to cater for most of the browsers plus the
    appropriate code in his web page. I do not think that he is prepared to
    do this at the moment, but may have to eventually.

    I will send your reply on to him

    Maurice Helwig

    Maurice Helwig, Aug 19, 2012
  4. Maurice Helwig

    dorayme Guest

    In article <k0q0nl$uov$>,
    Maurice Helwig <> wrote:

    > On 19/08/2012 7:56 AM, cwdjrxyz wrote:
    > > On Aug 16, 4:34 pm, Maurice Helwig <>
    > > wrote:
    > >> I want to view streaming MP4 videos in Firefox browser from a website
    > >> set up by a friend.
    > >>
    > >> Is there a way of doing this -- like a plugin for firefox ???

    > > Since you mention html5 in the subject, I think you will have to
    > > provide a url for the page and hope the page does not use php server
    > > side script which can not be viewed on your client computer. If the
    > > page uses the new html5 code for video,

    .... (rest of cwdjrxyz's excellent advice snipped)

    > Thanks for the reply.
    > You have given me a bit to digest
    > The website in question is http://promiseboxvideo.com/
    > This friend of mine is setting up a website to put Video of church
    > sermons on. The page is experimental at the moment. and He is using MP4
    > video files only which come through on IE9 OK but not on Firefox which I
    > use all the time.

    If it is experimental, tell him to at least put a *small* video file
    up there for testing. Many folk would be reluctant to try to watch or
    download such huge files. Grab a 30 sec clip/sample from each one and
    add them. Even to add a sample to the eventual page would not be a bad
    idea with such huge videos (on the model of showing a small picture
    and leaving it to the visitor to click to bigger...)

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 19, 2012
  5. Maurice Helwig

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Aug 19, 2:45 am, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article <k0q0nl$>,
    >  Maurice Helwig <> wrote:
    >
    > > On 19/08/2012 7:56 AM, cwdjrxyz wrote:

    > > > Since you mention html5 in the subject, I think you will have to
    > > > provide a url for the page and hope the page does not use php server
    > > > side script which can not be viewed on your client computer. If the
    > > > page uses the new html5 code for video,

    > ... (rest of cwdjrxyz's excellent advice snipped)
    >

    > > Thanks for the reply.
    > > You have given me a bit to digest
    > > The website in question ishttp://promiseboxvideo.com/
    > > This friend of mine is setting up a website to put Video of church
    > > sermons on. The page is experimental at the moment. and He is using MP4
    > > video files only which come through on IE9 OK but not on Firefox which I
    > > use all the time.

    > If it is experimental, tell him to at least put a *small* video file
    > up there for testing. Many folk would be reluctant to try to watch or
    > download such huge files. Grab a 30 sec clip/sample from each one and
    > add them. Even to add a sample to the eventual page would not be a bad
    > idea with such huge videos (on the model of showing a small picture
    > and leaving it to the visitor to click to bigger...)
    >
    > > I gather that he would have to have possibly three files of different
    > > formats on his server to cater for most of the browsers plus the
    > > appropriate code in his web page. I do not think that he is prepared to
    > > do this at the moment, but may have to eventually.

    > > I will send your reply on to him

    > > Maurice Helwig

    > --
    > dorayme

    Thanks for the page url. Using Firefox 14.0.1 on a windows Vista 24
    bit browser, I get the message:"No video with supported format and
    MIME type found". Viewing the top of the source code, you find the
    DOCTYPE for html5. Looking at the video portion of the source code you
    get:

    <video center width="780" height="570" controls="controls"
    autoplay="autoplay">
    <source src="MP4D/V0084 - Noel Braddock - Nehemiah 1-3 - St Clair
    EPCC 29-4-07 - 24m17s.mp4" type="video/mp4" /target="_blank>
    </video>

    Thus this page is html5 using a house html5 player for browsers that
    use a house html5 video format of mp4.

    Now go to my page at http://www.cwdjr.net/video7/RoscoeGreetings.php
    and click on the button for html5. The last I checked, html5 was
    working for recent versions of Firefox, IE9, Safari for Windows,
    Chrome, Opera, and Flock. The video source code used is:

    <video width = "640" height = "640" controls="controls"
    autoplay="autoplay">
    <source src = "Roscoe.ogv" type="video/ogg" />
    <source src = "RoscoeH.mov" type="video/quicktime" />
    <source src= "Roscoe.mp4" type = "video/mp4" />
    element is not supported on your browser. You must update to IE9 beta
    if using an IE browser. Only Vista and Windows7 can be updated to IE9-
    beta. If you are on a Windows XP OS, the latest versions of many other
    browsers will support the html5 video element including Firefox,
    Opera, Safari for Windows, Flock, SeaMonkey, and Chrome. Also older
    valid video code is supported in html5 in addition to &lt;video&gt;. </
    strong></p>
    </video>

    Note that IE9 beta is now replaced by the stable version IE9.

    Thus adding html5 video support for the various house players of
    different browsers does not add much complexity to the html5 code.
    However you need the video in 3 formats. Depending on media programs
    you have, it can be fairly easy to convert the mp4 video to .ogg
    and .mov .

    cwdjrxyz, Aug 19, 2012
  6. Maurice Helwig

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Aug 19, 4:43 am, cwdjrxyz <> wrote:
> [...]

    > <source src= "Roscoe.mp4" type = "video/mp4" />
    > element is not supported on your browser. You must update to IE9 beta
    > if using an IE browser. Only Vista and Windows7 can be updated to IE9-
    > beta. If you are on a Windows XP OS, the latest versions of many other
    > browsers will support the html5 video element including Firefox,
    > Opera, Safari for Windows, Flock, SeaMonkey, and Chrome. Also older
    > valid video code is supported in html5 in addition to &lt;video&gt;. </
    > strong></p>
    > </video>
    >
    > Note that IE9 beta is now replaced by the stable version IE9.
    >
    > Thus adding html5 video support for the various house players of
    > different browsers does not add much complexity to the html5 code.
    > However you need the video in 3 formats. Depending on media programs
    > you have, it can be fairly easy to convert the mp4 video to .ogg

    The first part of the second sentence of my reply is in error: "Using
    Firefox 14.0.1 on a windows Vista 24
    bit browser," should be "Using Firefox 14.0.1 on a Windows Vista 64-
    bit OS,".

    cwdjrxyz, Aug 19, 2012
  7. Maurice Helwig

    BootNic Guest

    In article <k0jp27$gid$>, Maurice Helwig
    <> wrote:

    > I want to view streaming MP4 videos in Firefox browser from a
    > website set up by a friend.
    >
    > Is there a way of doing this -- like a plugin for firefox ???

    Greasemonkey addon:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/

    User script:
    https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxHTOGjZD9sZN0gyeGJiLUFsRkk

    Convert video to object

    --
    BootNic Mon Aug 20, 2012 07:33 pm
    Good communication is as stimulating as black coffee and just as hard to sleep

    BootNic, Aug 21, 2012
  8. Maurice Helwig

    BootNic Guest

    In article <>,
    cwdjrxyz <> wrote:

    > On Aug 19, 2:45 am, dorayme <> wrote:
    >> In article <k0q0nl$>,  Maurice Helwig
    >> <> wrote:

    [snip]

    [snip]

    >>> Thanks for the reply. You have given me a bit to digest The
    >>> website in question ishttp://promiseboxvideo.com/ This friend
    >>> of mine is setting up a website to put Video of church sermons
    >>> on. The page is experimental at the moment. and He is using MP4
    >>> video files only which come through on IE9 OK but not on
    >>> Firefox which I use all the time.

    [snip]

    >>> I gather that he would have to have possibly three files of
    >>> different formats on his server to cater for most of the
    >>> browsers plus the appropriate code in his web page. I do not
    >>> think that he is prepared to do this at the moment, but may
    >>> have to eventually.
    >>>
    >>> I will send your reply on to him

    > Thanks for the page url. Using Firefox 14.0.1 on a windows Vista
    > 24 bit browser, I get the message:"No video with supported format
    > and MIME type found". Viewing the top of the source code, you
    > find the DOCTYPE for html5. Looking at the video portion of the
    > source code you get:
    >
    > <video center width="780" height="570" controls="controls"
    > autoplay="autoplay"> <source src="MP4D/V0084 - Noel Braddock -
    > Nehemiah 1-3 - St Clair EPCC 29-4-07 - 24m17s.mp4"

    > Thus this page is html5 using a house html5 player for browsers
    > that use a house html5 video format of mp4.
    >
    > Now go to my page at
    > http://www.cwdjr.net/video7/RoscoeGreetings.php and click on the
    > button for html5. The last I checked, html5 was working for
    > recent versions of Firefox, IE9, Safari for Windows, Chrome,
    > Opera, and Flock. The video source code used is:
    >
    > <video width = "640" height = "640" controls="controls"
    > autoplay="autoplay"> <source src = "Roscoe.ogv" type="video/ogg"
    > />
    > <source src = "RoscoeH.mov" type="video/quicktime" />

    what browser would require video/quicktime?

    > <source
    > src= "Roscoe.mp4" type = "video/mp4" />

    [snip]

    > </video>
    >
    > Note that IE9 beta is now replaced by the stable version IE9.
    >
    > Thus adding html5 video support for the various house players of
    > different browsers does not add much complexity to the html5
    > code. However you need the video in 3 formats. Depending on media
    > programs you have, it can be fairly easy to convert the mp4 video
    > to .ogg and .mov .

    I would agree on three formats, but not video/quicktime.

    1. video/webm

    2. video/ogg

    3. video/mp4

    I think that webm is playable in more browsers then the other two.

    IE 9 requires codec download
    https://tools.google.com/dlpage/webmmf/

    IF I were to use only one, it would be video/webm.

    --
    BootNic Mon Aug 20, 2012 08:52 pm
    People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously.

    BootNic, Aug 21, 2012
  9. Maurice Helwig

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Aug 20, 7:52 pm, BootNic <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    >
    > cwdjrxyz <> wrote:
    > > On Aug 19, 2:45 am, dorayme <> wrote:

    > [snip]

    > [snip]

    > [snip]

    > > Thanks for the page url. Using Firefox 14.0.1 on a windows Vista
    > > 24 bit browser, I get the message:"No video with supported format
    > > and MIME type found". Viewing the top of the source code, you
    > > find the DOCTYPE for html5. Looking at the video portion of the
    > > source code you get:

    > > <video center width="780" height="570" controls="controls"
    > > autoplay="autoplay"> <source src="MP4D/V0084 - Noel Braddock -
    > > Nehemiah 1-3 - St Clair EPCC 29-4-07 - 24m17s.mp4"

    > > Thus this page is html5 using a house html5 player for browsers
    > > that use a house html5 video format of mp4.

    > > Now go to my page at
    > >http://www.cwdjr.net/video7/RoscoeGreetings.phpand click on the
    > > button for html5. The last I checked, html5 was working for
    > > recent versions of Firefox, IE9, Safari for Windows, Chrome,
    > > Opera, and Flock. The video source code used is:

    > > <video width = "640" height = "640" controls="controls"
    > > autoplay="autoplay"> <source src = "Roscoe.ogv" type="video/ogg"
    > > />
    > > <source src = "RoscoeH.mov" type="video/quicktime" />

    > what browser would require video/quicktime?
    >
    > > <source
    > > src= "Roscoe.mp4" type = "video/mp4" />

    > [snip]
    >
    > > </video>

    > > Note that IE9 beta is now replaced by the stable version IE9.

    > > Thus adding html5 video support for the various house players of
    > > different browsers does not add much complexity to the html5
    > > code. However you need the video in 3 formats. Depending on media
    > > programs you have, it can be fairly easy to convert the mp4 video
    > > to .ogg and .mov .

    > I would agree on three formats, but not video/quicktime.
    >
    >   1. video/webm
    >
    >   2. video/ogg
    >
    >   3. video/mp4
    >
    > I think that webm is playable in more browsers then the other two.

    Of course you can add webm to the list and keep the other three I
    include also. This page is more than a year old, except for a few
    revisions, and that is very old for a rapidly moving target such as
    html5. When written, a mp4 would play on Safari for Windows, but only
    after complete download. If you use Apple's pay version of the QT
    player to hint the mp4 video to stream, it also converts the mp4 to
    Apple's .mov. That is the reason for including support for .mov. Apple
    in the meantime may have provided support for streaming a mp4
    directly. Still including .mov support may not be a bad idea to
    support some older browsers. IE9 is the first IE browser to include
    extensive html5 support of media using a house player, and many still
    have older IE browsers.

    > IE 9 requires codec download
    > https://tools.google.com/dlpage/webmmf/
    >
    > IF I were to use only one, it would be video/webm.

    If I could use only one, I would use flash which can be included on an
    html5 page also. Of course then the client computer must have flash
    installed. It is likely that most computers now have flash installed
    because it is required to properly view many very important major
    commercial sites. People who uninstall flash, for whatever reason,
    often re-install again soon when they find that many commercial sites
    they wish to use no longer work properly without flash. Html5 is now
    gaining more traction for media presentation using a "house" player,
    and some time in the future it may become the norm. If we look back in
    time, Real was very popular. Then Microsoft formats at one time were
    the streaming king. Then flash evolved from an ad-related crude form
    that was more simple to use than dhtml to a format that will now
    support even up to blu-ray standard HD video. I am a very poor
    prophet, so I will not even try to guess what will happen in the
    future.

    cwdjrxyz, Aug 21, 2012
  10. On 21/08/2012 9:34 AM, BootNic wrote:
    > In article <k0jp27$gid$>, Maurice Helwig
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I want to view streaming MP4 videos in Firefox browser from a
    >> website set up by a friend.
    >>
    >> Is there a way of doing this -- like a plugin for firefox ???

    > Greasemonkey addon:
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/
    >
    > User script:
    > https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxHTOGjZD9sZN0gyeGJiLUFsRkk