[ANN] Ackbar 0.1.1 - ActiveRecord Adapter for KirbyBase

Assaph Mehr

Hi All,

=3D What's New

This is a bug fix release. Jamey Cribbs (author of KirbyBase) has run
through Active Web Development with Rails, building the Depot sample
app on top of Akbar/KirbyBase. A few issues uncovered there were fixed
/ enhanced in this release. See the CHANGELOG for full details.

You can read all about his exercise, starting at
http://houseonfire.wordpress.com/2006/02/18/hello-world/.

=3D About Ackbar

Ackbar is an adapter for ActiveRecord (the Rails ORM layer) to the KirbyBas=
pure-ruby plain-text DBMS. Because KirbyBase does not support SQL, joins or
transactions, this is not a 100% fit. There are some changes to the ActiveR=
ecord
interface (see below), but it may still be useful in some cases.

=3D URIs

Ackbar: http://ackbar.rubyforge.org
KirbyBase: http://www.netpromi.com/kirbybase_ruby.html
Rails: http://www.rubyonrails.com
Pimki: http://pimki.rubyforge.org

=3D Goals

Ackbar's project goals, in order of importance, are:
1. Support Pimki with a pure-ruby, cross-platform hassle-less install DBMS
2. An exercise for me to learn ActiveRecord inside out
3. Support other "shrink-wrapped" Rails projects with similar needs

As can be seen, the main reason I need Ackbar is so I distribute Pimki acro=
ss
multiple platforms without requiring non-Ruby 3rd party libraries.
KirbyBase will work wherever Ruby works, and so will Pimki. That alleviates
the need to repackage other bits, end users will not have to install extra
software, I have full control on the storage, the storage is in plain text.
Just what I need to "shrink wrap" a Rails project for end-user distribution=