[ANN] BIND DLZ on Rails

Kenneth Kalmer

Hi all

Announcement:
http://www.opensourcery.co.za/2008/06/10/bind-dlz-on-rails-first-preview-pushed-to-github/

Excerpt from README

Bind is the defacto DNS server out there, and the bind-dlz extensions
enhances it even further by providing support for database backends. This
simplifies the management of thousands of zones, and provides added
redundancy (by way of database replication) and opens the doors for web
frontends that ease this even more.

Bind DLZ on Rails is built based on our experience of managing thousands of
DNS records through various (often crude) techniques, that included building
zone files from databases via cron, and implementing PowerDNS for its
database backends.

Nothing we tried seemed convincing, and we opted to go back to Bind using
bind-dlz on a MySQL 5.0 backend. Using Rails 2 for a interface just makes
sense because we can build a rich interface and an REST API in a single go.
We have a lot of integration needs, and this was our main driver.
Kind regards