[ANN] gembuilder 1.1.3 Released

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Patrick Hurley, May 24, 2007.

  1. ## SYNOPSIS:

    Build your gem so that it can be deployed on machines without a build chain

    Note this is not a hoe/sow or newgem competitor, but rather a simple
    tool to take a gem (mongrel for example) that has one or more C
    extensions and then generate a platform specific gem with the
    extensions compiled into it. Many gems include such a build for win32
    as few win32 users have build chains, but while most Unix development
    systems have build chains (C compilers), many Unix production systems
    do not. If you find yourself in this situation gembuilder can be a
    real help.

    This is the first proper public release (I screwed up a couple along
    the way <grin>). It is easy to use, just grab the gem you want to
    build and use the gembuilder command on it.

    Example:

    [~/code/tmp] ls -l
    total 312
    -rw-r--r-- 1 phurley phurley 159232 May 19 18:14 mongrel-1.0.1.gem
    [~/code/tmp] gembuilder mongrel-1.0.1.gem
    Unpacking mongrel-1.0.1.gem
    building extension(s)
    adjusting gemspec
    building binary gem
    Successfully built RubyGem
    Name: mongrel
    Version: 1.0.1
    File: mongrel-1.0.1-i686-darwin8.9.1.gem
    cleaning up
    [~/code/tmp] ls -l
    total 664
    -rw-r--r-- 1 phurley wheel 177664 May 23 20:15
    mongrel-1.0.1-i686-darwin8.9.1.gem
    -rw-r--r-- 1 phurley phurley 159232 May 19 18:14 mongrel-1.0.1.gem

    What could be simpler?

    Thanks to all the great gems people have made,
    pth

    Patrick Hurley, May 24, 2007

  2. Patrick Hurley

    Guest

    > On 5/23/07, Patrick Hurley <> wrote:
    >>
    >> ## SYNOPSIS:
    >>
    >> Build your gem so that it can be deployed on machines without a build
    >> chain
    >>
    >> do not. If you find yourself in this situation gembuilder can be a
    >> real help.
    >>
    >> What could be simpler?

    > Beautiful job, Patrick. Thanks.

    That's marvelous.

    No doubt this has occurred to someone already, but wouldn't it be great
    if something like Ruby Forge automatically compiled up the binaries for
    a sensible range of target platforms?

    Cheers,
    Benj

    , May 24, 2007

  3. On 5/23/07, Patrick Hurley <> wrote:
    > Build your gem so that it can be deployed on machines without a build chain

    AWESOME.
    Just what RubyWorks project needed to have tomorrow.

    --
    Alex Verkhovsky

    Alexey Verkhovsky, May 24, 2007
  4. Alexey Verkhovsky, May 24, 2007
  5. On 5/24/07, Alexey Verkhovsky <> wrote:
    > Link: http://rubyforge.org/projects/gembuilder/

    Thanks for posting the link :) Hope it works for everyone. I have
    tested this out a few flavors of Linux (including zLinux ;-), a few
    flavors of BSD and Win32. But if anyone has a problem certainly let me
    know.

    pth

    Patrick Hurley, May 24, 2007
  6. On 5/24/07, Francis Cianfrocca <> wrote:
    > On 5/24/07, <> wrote:
    > >

    > > No doubt this has occurred to someone already, but wouldn't it be great
    > > if something like Ruby Forge automatically compiled up the binaries for
    > > a sensible range of target platforms?

    > Obviously one problem is resources. Another is that the most-broadly "right"
    > way to compile extensions on Windows is to use VC6, which isn't necessarily
    > easy to get anymore if you don't already have it. (Please please, no one
    > start a threadjack along the lines of "I don't know what's wrong with your
    > extensions, but mine compile fine on Express 2005"!)
    >
    > I remember vaguely that we discussed this here about a year ago. I offered
    > to set up a build farm for compiling RubyForge gems but no one bit.

    And, until gems implements automatic platform detection, I'd be
    concerned that building multiple binary gems would drive some of us
    nuts with the prompts when we tried to install a gem.

    --
    Rick DeNatale

    My blog on Ruby
    http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/

    Rick DeNatale, May 24, 2007
  7. On 5/24/07, Francis Cianfrocca <> wrote:
    > It can be even weirder than that. I often have to ship extension gems for
    > multiple versions of glibc, the crypto libraries, etc. The platform version
    > string is always i686-linux or some such thing, but they're still distinct
    > (and incompatible) binary gems. Even with gembuilder, I'll need to decorate
    > the gem filenames by hand. Still, it's a huge help. Up till now, I've had to
    > keep extra rake tasks around for each of my target platforms and
    > subplatforms.

    Yeah I was initially put off by the mac showing the platform as
    darwin8.9.1, but I realized that was how it would avoid those sort of
    glibc issues. It might be better if Linux was expanded out to
    linux.glibc.4 or something to that effect, but I am (obviously?)
    riding on the information in rbconfig.

    I am in the simple position where I deploy to a large number of
    homogeneous servers for a given client (although the platform will
    vary client to client). So this is not a hardship for me. If anyone
    has a solution/suggestion for better handling the wide variety of
    binary combinations I would be happy to try and integrate it.

    Would something as simple as allowing a command line option or
    environment variable to set a user defined platform name be useful?

    pth

    Patrick Hurley, May 24, 2007