ANN: GMPY 1.11 released

Discussion in 'Python' started by casevh, Feb 2, 2010.

  1. casevh

    casevh Guest

    Everyone,

    I'm pleased to annouce the final release of GMPY 1.11.
    GMPY is a wrapper for the MPIR or GMP multiple-precision
    arithmetic library. GMPY 1.11 is available for download from:

    http://code.google.com/p/gmpy/

    In addition to support for Python 3.x, there are several new
    features in this release:

    - Even faster conversion to/from Python longs.
    - Performance improvements by reducing function overhead.
    - Performance improvements by improved caching.
    - Support for cdivmod, fdivmod, and tdivmod.
    - Unicode strings are accepted on Python 2.x and 3.x.
    - Fixed regression in GMPY 1.10 where True/False were no
    longer recognized.

    Changes since 1.11rc1:
    - Recognizes GMP 5.
    - Bugs fixed in Windows binaries (MPIR 1.3.0rc3 -> 1.3.1).

    Comments on provided binaries

    The 32-bit Windows installers were compiled with MinGW32 using MPIR
    1.3.1 and will automatically recognize the CPU type and use code
    optimized for the CPU at runtime. The 64-bit Windows installers were
    compiled Microsoft's SDK compilers using MPRI 1.3.1. Detailed
    instructions are included if you want to compile your own binary.

    Please report any issues!

    casevh

    casevh, Feb 2, 2010

  2. casevh

    Mensanator Guest

    On Feb 2, 12:45 am, casevh <> wrote:
    > Everyone,
    >
    > I'm pleased to annouce the final release of GMPY 1.11.
    > GMPY is a wrapper for the MPIR or GMP multiple-precision
    > arithmetic library. GMPY 1.11 is available for download from:
    >
    > http://code.google.com/p/gmpy/
    >
    > In addition to support for Python 3.x, there are several new
    > features in this release:
    >
    > - Even faster conversion to/from Python longs.
    > - Performance improvements by reducing function overhead.
    > - Performance improvements by improved caching.
    > - Support for cdivmod, fdivmod, and tdivmod.
    > - Unicode strings are accepted on Python 2.x and 3.x.
    > - Fixed regression in GMPY 1.10 where True/False were no
    >   longer recognized.
    >
    > Changes since 1.11rc1:
    > - Recognizes GMP 5.
    > - Bugs fixed in Windows binaries (MPIR 1.3.0rc3 -> 1.3.1).
    >
    > Comments on provided binaries
    >
    > The 32-bit Windows installers were compiled with MinGW32 using MPIR
    > 1.3.1 and will automatically recognize the CPU type and use code
    > optimized for the CPU at runtime. The 64-bit Windows installers were
    > compiled Microsoft's SDK compilers using MPRI 1.3.1. Detailed
    > instructions are included if you want to compile your own binary.
    >
    > Please report any issues!

    My previous replies didn't show up. Something to do the .announce
    group? I'll trim that and try again. Sorry if they show up eventually.

    Two issues:

    1] why does both gmpy 1.11 and gmpy 1.11rc1 both reply

    >>> gmpy.version()

    '1.11'

    Aren't these different versions? How are we supposed to tell them
    apart?

    2] Is it true that the only changes since 1.11rc1 are not
    applicable to me since

    - I'm not using Windows
    - whether it recognizes GMP 5 is moot as GMP 5 cannot be
    compiled on a Mac (according to GMP site)

    Is it possible GMP's problems with getting GMP 5 to compile
    are the same ones I had with 3.1 on Snow Leopard? (They bemoan
    not having a set of every Mac system.) Think it would behoove
    me to try it?

    Mensanator, Feb 3, 2010

  3. casevh

    casevh Guest

    On Feb 2, 10:03 pm, Mensanator <> wrote:
    > On Feb 2, 12:45 am, casevh <> wrote:
    >

    > > Everyone,

    > > I'm pleased to annouce the final release of GMPY 1.11.
    > > GMPY is a wrapper for the MPIR or GMP multiple-precision
    > > arithmetic library. GMPY 1.11 is available for download from:

    > >http://code.google.com/p/gmpy/

    > > In addition to support for Python 3.x, there are several new
    > > features in this release:

    > > - Even faster conversion to/from Python longs.
    > > - Performance improvements by reducing function overhead.
    > > - Performance improvements by improved caching.
    > > - Support for cdivmod, fdivmod, and tdivmod.
    > > - Unicode strings are accepted on Python 2.x and 3.x.
    > > - Fixed regression in GMPY 1.10 where True/False were no
    > >   longer recognized.

    > > Changes since 1.11rc1:
    > > - Recognizes GMP 5.
    > > - Bugs fixed in Windows binaries (MPIR 1.3.0rc3 -> 1.3.1).

    > > Comments on provided binaries

    > > The 32-bit Windows installers were compiled with MinGW32 using MPIR
    > > 1.3.1 and will automatically recognize the CPU type and use code
    > > optimized for the CPU at runtime. The 64-bit Windows installers were
    > > compiled Microsoft's SDK compilers using MPRI 1.3.1. Detailed
    > > instructions are included if you want to compile your own binary.

    > > Please report any issues!

    > My previous replies didn't show up. Something to do the .announce
    > group? I'll trim that and try again. Sorry if they show up eventually.
    >
    > Two issues:
    >
    > 1] why does both gmpy 1.11 and gmpy 1.11rc1 both reply

    > '1.11'
    >
    > Aren't these different versions? How are we supposed to tell them
    > apart?

    Check the name of source tarball?

    gmpy._cvsid() will return the internal source code revision number.
    The changes made in each revision number are listed at
    http://code.google.com/p/gmpy/source/list.

    I know some applications check gmpy.version(). I don't know if they'll
    work if the format of the string changes.

    > 2] Is it true that the only changes since 1.11rc1 are not
    >    applicable to me since
    >
    >    - I'm not using Windows
    >    - whether it recognizes GMP 5 is moot as GMP 5 cannot be
    >      compiled on a Mac (according to GMP site)

    Yes. The only change for GMP 5 was to recognize the new version number
    when running the tests.

    > Is it possible GMP's problems with getting GMP 5 to compile
    > are the same ones I had with 3.1 on Snow Leopard? (They bemoan
    > not having a set of every Mac system.) Think it would behoove
    > me to try it?

    According to comments on GMP's mailing list, the latest snapshot
    should work.
    ftp://ftp.gmplib.org/pub/snapshot/

    casevh, Feb 3, 2010
  4. casevh

    Mensanator Guest

    On Feb 3, 10:37 am, casevh <> wrote:
    > On Feb 2, 10:03 pm, Mensanator <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Feb 2, 12:45 am, casevh <> wrote:

    > > > Everyone,

    > > > I'm pleased to annouce the final release of GMPY 1.11.
    > > > GMPY is a wrapper for the MPIR or GMP multiple-precision
    > > > arithmetic library. GMPY 1.11 is available for download from:

    > > >http://code.google.com/p/gmpy/

    > > > In addition to support for Python 3.x, there are several new
    > > > features in this release:

    > > > - Even faster conversion to/from Python longs.
    > > > - Performance improvements by reducing function overhead.
    > > > - Performance improvements by improved caching.
    > > > - Support for cdivmod, fdivmod, and tdivmod.
    > > > - Unicode strings are accepted on Python 2.x and 3.x.
    > > > - Fixed regression in GMPY 1.10 where True/False were no
    > > >   longer recognized.

    > > > Changes since 1.11rc1:
    > > > - Recognizes GMP 5.
    > > > - Bugs fixed in Windows binaries (MPIR 1.3.0rc3 -> 1.3.1).

    > > > Comments on provided binaries

    > > > The 32-bit Windows installers were compiled with MinGW32 using MPIR
    > > > 1.3.1 and will automatically recognize the CPU type and use code
    > > > optimized for the CPU at runtime. The 64-bit Windows installers were
    > > > compiled Microsoft's SDK compilers using MPRI 1.3.1. Detailed
    > > > instructions are included if you want to compile your own binary.

    > > > Please report any issues!

    > > My previous replies didn't show up. Something to do the .announce
    > > group? I'll trim that and try again. Sorry if they show up eventually.

    > > Two issues:

    > > 1] why does both gmpy 1.11 and gmpy 1.11rc1 both reply

    > > '1.11'

    > > Aren't these different versions? How are we supposed to tell them
    > > apart?

    > Check the name of source tarball?
    >
    > gmpy._cvsid() will return the internal source code revision number.
    > The changes made in each revision number are listed athttp://code.google.com/p/gmpy/source/list.

    So, '$Id: gmpy.c 237 2010-01-10 03:46:37Z casevh $' would be Revision
    237
    on that source list?

    > I know some applications check gmpy.version(). I don't know if they'll
    > work if the format of the string changes.

    Then gmpy.version() isn't really intended to be a version per se,
    it's just a level of compatibility for those programs that care?

    > > 2] Is it true that the only changes since 1.11rc1 are not
    > >    applicable to me since

    > >    - I'm not using Windows
    > >    - whether it recognizes GMP 5 is moot as GMP 5 cannot be
    > >      compiled on a Mac (according to GMP site)

    > Yes. The only change for GMP 5 was to recognize the new version number
    > when running the tests.

    Good.

    > > Is it possible GMP's problems with getting GMP 5 to compile
    > > are the same ones I had with 3.1 on Snow Leopard? (They bemoan
    > > not having a set of every Mac system.) Think it would behoove
    > > me to try it?

    > According to comments on GMP's mailing list, the latest snapshot
    > should work.ftp://ftp.gmplib.org/pub/snapshot/

    I'll have to see if I can get it to work this weekend. I sure hope I
    don't muck it up after after all the trouble I had getting the
    previous
    one to work.

    Thanks for the links.

    Mensanator, Feb 3, 2010
  5. casevh

    casevh Guest

    On Feb 3, 10:22 am, Mensanator <> wrote:
    > On Feb 3, 10:37 am, casevh <> wrote:

    > > > My previous replies didn't show up. Something to do the .announce
    > > > group? I'll trim that and try again. Sorry if they show up eventually..

    > > > Two issues:

    > > > 1] why does both gmpy 1.11 and gmpy 1.11rc1 both reply

    > > > '1.11'

    > > > Aren't these different versions? How are we supposed to tell them
    > > > apart?

    > > Check the name of source tarball?

    > > gmpy._cvsid() will return the internal source code revision number.
    > > The changes made in each revision number are listed athttp://code.google.com/p/gmpy/source/list.

    > So, '$Id: gmpy.c 237 2010-01-10 03:46:37Z casevh $' would be Revision
    > 237
    > on that source list?

    Correct.

    > > I know some applications check gmpy.version(). I don't know if they'll
    > > work if the format of the string changes.

    > Then gmpy.version() isn't really intended to be a version per se,
    > it's just a level of compatibility for those programs that care?

    Historically, gmpy really didn't have alpha/beta/rc versions and
    gmpy.version() just had the version "number" and didn't indicate the
    status. If I change it, I'd rather go to "1.1.1rc1" or "1.2.0a0" but
    that might break some applications.

    casevh, Feb 3, 2010
  6. casevh

    Mensanator Guest

    On Feb 3, 12:36 pm, casevh <> wrote:
    > On Feb 3, 10:22 am, Mensanator <> wrote:
    >

    > Historically, gmpy really didn't have alpha/beta/rc versions and
    > gmpy.version() just had the version "number" and didn't indicate the
    > status. If I change it, I'd rather go to "1.1.1rc1" or "1.2.0a0" but
    > that might break some applications.

    Ok. And historically, we never had Python 2.5, 2.6, 2.7 & 3.1
    to support simultaneously with Windows Xp, Vista and 7 along
    with Mac OSX 10.4, 10.5,& 10.6 as well as whatever flavors
    Linnux comes it.

    Not to mention that there's now two flavors of GMP.

    How many different permutations do you suppose that is?
    Thinking about it makes my head hurt. I certainly fell
    sympathy towards you developers.

    Mensanator, Feb 3, 2010