ANN: GMPY 1.11 released

casevh

Everyone,

I'm pleased to annouce the final release of GMPY 1.11.
GMPY is a wrapper for the MPIR or GMP multiple-precision
arithmetic library. GMPY 1.11 is available for download from:

http://code.google.com/p/gmpy/

In addition to support for Python 3.x, there are several new
features in this release:

- Even faster conversion to/from Python longs.
- Performance improvements by reducing function overhead.
- Performance improvements by improved caching.
- Support for cdivmod, fdivmod, and tdivmod.
- Unicode strings are accepted on Python 2.x and 3.x.
- Fixed regression in GMPY 1.10 where True/False were no
longer recognized.

Changes since 1.11rc1:
- Recognizes GMP 5.
- Bugs fixed in Windows binaries (MPIR 1.3.0rc3 -> 1.3.1).

Comments on provided binaries

The 32-bit Windows installers were compiled with MinGW32 using MPIR
1.3.1 and will automatically recognize the CPU type and use code
optimized for the CPU at runtime. The 64-bit Windows installers were
compiled Microsoft's SDK compilers using MPRI 1.3.1. Detailed
instructions are included if you want to compile your own binary.

Please report any issues!

casevh

Mensanator

[...]

My previous replies didn't show up. Something to do the .announce
group? I'll trim that and try again. Sorry if they show up eventually.

Two issues:

1] why does both gmpy 1.11 and gmpy 1.11rc1 both reply
'1.11'

Aren't these different versions? How are we supposed to tell them
apart?

2] Is it true that the only changes since 1.11rc1 are not
applicable to me since

- I'm not using Windows
- whether it recognizes GMP 5 is moot as GMP 5 cannot be
compiled on a Mac (according to GMP site)

Is it possible GMP's problems with getting GMP 5 to compile
are the same ones I had with 3.1 on Snow Leopard? (They bemoan
not having a set of every Mac system.) Think it would behoove
me to try it?

[...]

Check the name of source tarball?

gmpy._cvsid() will return the internal source code revision number.
The changes made in each revision number are listed at
http://code.google.com/p/gmpy/source/list.

I know some applications check gmpy.version(). I don't know if they'll
work if the format of the string changes.
2] Is it true that the only changes since 1.11rc1 are not
   applicable to me since

   - I'm not using Windows
   - whether it recognizes GMP 5 is moot as GMP 5 cannot be
     compiled on a Mac (according to GMP site)

Yes. The only change for GMP 5 was to recognize the new version number
when running the tests.
Is it possible GMP's problems with getting GMP 5 to compile
are the same ones I had with 3.1 on Snow Leopard? (They bemoan
not having a set of every Mac system.) Think it would behoove
me to try it?

According to comments on GMP's mailing list, the latest snapshot
should work.
ftp://ftp.gmplib.org/pub/snapshot/

Mensanator

My previous replies didn't show up. Something to do the .announce
group? I'll trim that and try again. Sorry if they show up eventually.
Two issues:
1] why does both gmpy 1.11 and gmpy 1.11rc1 both reply

Aren't these different versions? How are we supposed to tell them
apart?

Check the name of source tarball?

gmpy._cvsid() will return the internal source code revision number.
The changes made in each revision number are listed athttp://code.google.com/p/gmpy/source/list.

So, '$Id: gmpy.c 237 2010-01-10 03:46:37Z casevh $' would be Revision
237
on that source list?
I know some applications check gmpy.version(). I don't know if they'll
work if the format of the string changes.

Then gmpy.version() isn't really intended to be a version per se,
it's just a level of compatibility for those programs that care?
2] Is it true that the only changes since 1.11rc1 are not
   applicable to me since
   - I'm not using Windows
   - whether it recognizes GMP 5 is moot as GMP 5 cannot be
     compiled on a Mac (according to GMP site)

Yes. The only change for GMP 5 was to recognize the new version number
when running the tests.
Good.
Is it possible GMP's problems with getting GMP 5 to compile
are the same ones I had with 3.1 on Snow Leopard? (They bemoan
not having a set of every Mac system.) Think it would behoove
me to try it?

According to comments on GMP's mailing list, the latest snapshot
should work.ftp://ftp.gmplib.org/pub/snapshot/

I'll have to see if I can get it to work this weekend. I sure hope I
don't muck it up after after all the trouble I had getting the
previous
one to work.

Thanks for the links.

[...]

gmpy.version()
'1.11'
Aren't these different versions? How are we supposed to tell them
apart?
Check the name of source tarball?
gmpy._cvsid() will return the internal source code revision number.
The changes made in each revision number are listed athttp://code.google.com/p/gmpy/source/list.

So, '$Id: gmpy.c 237 2010-01-10 03:46:37Z casevh $' would be Revision
237
on that source list?
Correct.
I know some applications check gmpy.version(). I don't know if they'll
work if the format of the string changes.

Then gmpy.version() isn't really intended to be a version per se,
it's just a level of compatibility for those programs that care?

Historically, gmpy really didn't have alpha/beta/rc versions and
gmpy.version() just had the version "number" and didn't indicate the
status. If I change it, I'd rather go to "1.1.1rc1" or "1.2.0a0" but
that might break some applications.
[...]

Ok. And historically, we never had Python 2.5, 2.6, 2.7 & 3.1
to support simultaneously with Windows Xp, Vista and 7 along
with Mac OSX 10.4, 10.5,& 10.6 as well as whatever flavors
Linnux comes it.

Not to mention that there's now two flavors of GMP.

How many different permutations do you suppose that is?
Thinking about it makes my head hurt. I certainly fell
sympathy towards you developers.